I come live for one year ...what about the situation?????

caro

Sep 24, 2003
hello everyone

I come to live for one year in next april but now I have many question about de situation in dr now.first I come living in puerto plata . I planning to have a budget of 650 $ us by month for place to live , food...but no car.do you think in ok right now???I know then now we have more peso for us money but the price of food and other thing it is more expensive????do you thing it was more dangerous in the next month.....strike, robbery, violence .....????the last time I am coming is one month in november and it s be ok the situation are changing????it s long time I plan to come live here and I don t want to cancel so I need opinion of people living there. I am a girl of 25 year old and I come alone so what you thinking????if my budget is to small what is the minimum do you thing will be ok???thank a lot caro

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Change your name

With $650 a month for all your costs you should call yourself "barato".

caro

Sep 24, 2003
why you said that when i was coming in november my appartement was very nice with electricity and water 24/7 I have 2 bedroom, 2 balcony for 348$ us (12500peso because I paid in peso) in middle of puerto plata on separacion street.so I think with 302$ us I can eat and do my thing ....or now the situation I so changing then is not possible!!!!???if not how you think I suppose have by month?

caro

Sep 24, 2003
like I said before when I was coming in november for one month I rent a appartement 12500 peso(348 us at this moment) with electricity and water 24/7. the lady tell me if I want to rent for more then one month she rent me to 10500 peso but at this time I needed just for one month so with 302 us more(650-348) I eating and do my thing. but I know the situation are changing now so I wait your answer

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If you think you can get by on that amount of money, then come. It is not more dangerous, etc, than it was in November.

BartC

Jan 23, 2004
My 2 cents...

As you may already have read in numerous other posts on this message board (or not), living here is a bit more complicated and sometimes more expensive, then it seams at first glance.

I'm not sure what the reason is for you to come live here a year? A romantic involvment, work, extended holidays?

But no matter what your motivation, I honestly do not think that $ 650 US is enough to get around here. Especially if you only have $ 300 US left to live from.

I only do basic groceries weekly, because most of the times I eat out and do not cook. I spend about 3000 pesos for this, which comes down to +- $ 240 per month, basic groceries.

So you can forget about eating out on your budget (except maybe some pollo frito con tostones - nothing wrong with that, but it gets old after a while), and it won't even be enough to do all your groceries - including food, imho. Forget about a maid to do your laundry, cleaning or cooking.

Have you thought about the electricity bills? How about transportation costs since you don't have a car? Entertainment, a young girl like you surely wants to go out once a week, no? Won't you be buying any new clothes all year? How about medical bills? Telephone?

I could go on like this, I'm sure there are more things to add to this list.

What I'm trying to say is that (again, imho) you would need at LEAST $ 1000 US per month to get around, and still you won't be able to afford any luxury. $ 1300 to $ 1500 would give you some more breathing space.

You're a young girl in a strange country (a "gringa") with only one month of experience here - which I consider a holiday. I'd suggest you read some more through this forum about living here, and think hard before making any decissions, and venture out...

If you have a lot (or more than enough) money, living in this country is pretty easy. If you have to get by on a tight (or too low) budget, you may find yourself running into several unwanted problems.

Again, my 2 cents :cool:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Caro m?o!

I think she can do it.

If she is frugal, maybe works a little for some extra income--I am sure she could teach German or English.

Perhaps a smaller apartment, with less luxury like electricity 24/7.

I do not think that crime will be a problem. A lot depends on who she will associate with. If she can penetrate some of POP society, she might catch on to a job and good , decent friends..

Caro, just be cautious and have a back-up plan, okey?

HB

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
You can do it if you want!

I live here on alot less. Just get a small studio apartment. Eat local food. Don/t worry about a maid. You don't have onew now so why you need one here?
If you live within your means and learn to deal with the power/water problems you will be fine.
Most of the time the Dominican men pay for the drinks when you go out. If noone pays then make your 1 drink last all night.
Its not that dangerous here. Just watch where you are and who your with and you should be just fine. And if it doesn't work out just make sure you have enough money to buy a ticket to return home.

caro

Sep 24, 2003
Re: Caro m?o!

Hillbilly said:
I think she can do it.

If she is frugal, maybe works a little for some extra income--I am sure she could teach German or English.

Perhaps a smaller apartment, with less luxury like electricity 24/7.

I do not think that crime will be a problem. A lot depends on who she will associate with. If she can penetrate some of POP society, she might catch on to a job and good , decent friends..

Caro, just be cautious and have a back-up plan, okey?

HB

hello hillbilly

it s good do see then some people without you have many money think you can do something.I know I can t leave in luxury but I don t need that and it s not for that I go there.I just want to leave a experience, something new in country I liked. for back-up plan is easy I take one year free in my job here in canada so if I can t stay at puerto plata one year I just have to write a letter to my job 30 days before I coming back and I will continue my life in montreal with all memory I have living in puerto plata.It s sure if I can find a job will be very great but I know is not so easy so I try to plan a budget without so if I can t find a job I can leaving.I don t know why you said then I can teach german because I don t know german I come from montreal canada so I speak french and english and I try to learn spanish now.thank caro

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Caro

Okey, I goofed. You can teach FRENCH and English....
Sorry..:) :)

Listen to Jan, she will give you the straight scoop...

HB

caro

Sep 24, 2003
thank you ken...it s sure I will give you back new and tell you how is it . I take so many advice here then when I coming back I can help someone from my leaving there good or bad ( I hope good;) )it s will be for me a pleasure.just more then 2 month and I m coming.......

poquito_loco

Jan 26, 2004
prestige-hosting.com
caro

I have no clue that you can or can't make it so sorry, I would like to say that I respect your courage. I agree with the rst of the folk's it's going to be a challenge if you have 600.00 or 1,600.00. I wish you the best of luck.

P.S. Try to teach french. yeh french stick with the french.LOL <wink>

Best Regards, PL