Dad's 1st Visit to DR - Shock & Awe my God!

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
This is a 3rd person trip report for my dad who recently went with my husband Doug (GlowWorm) to stay at our villa in Casa Linda near Sosua. My son and his girlfriend also came with us, which was the first time for them on the north coast.

My dad is opinionated, unyielding, prejudiced against any minority, has steadfast eating habits, and hadn?t been out of the U.S. since World War II. Got the picture?

We were glad dad had agreed to go, but were very apprehensive on how high our stress level was going to be for 2 weeks.
Would I have to cook every night? Would he be pleasant to the local help? Would he even speak to anyone not from Heartland, USA?

He prepared for the trip by bringing a case of peanut butter crackers. Mom said he expected to lose 10 pounds because he doesn?t eat any ethnic food. She said he hates Mexican food. I smiled.

#1 Surprise: We got to the house. He absolutely loved it. Loved the ?Caribbean look? of the house and spent an hour looking at the tropical vegetation around the house. ?Hey, Jan, there?s baby bananas on this tree!!? He said he?d unpack later.

It was time to make the big grocery run to the supermarket. He wanted to come. I knew his breakfast consisted of half cornflakes, half cheerios with cutup grapes and bananas. The supermarket was packed; no one was speaking English, and everything was in Spanish. I gave him a list of what I wanted. I told him not to buy American brands ? he frowned.

#2 Surprise: I couldn?t get him out of the store. He was absorbing everything and was enjoying pantomiming to the help that he wanted bananas. We got out and he excitedly said he couldn?t believe the prices on the food. He loved picking out fresh bread that wasn?t packaged. He was fascinated that the butcher cut up pork chops right in front of you and didn?t even package them.

By the end of the week, he went on and on about the friendliness of the local people. I had previously told him over and over that he couldn?t compare Dominicans with other ethnic groups.

#3 surprise: My unyielding dad that has never tried to fit in with any culture, was saying ?Ooola? to every Dominican he passed. I had to keep telling him it was pronounced ?Ola?. No telling what ?oola? could mean. He took walks all around the neighborhood, stopping to talk to anyone that had knowledge about the area. He watched construction workers for an hour, amazed what they could do without ?modern? machinery.

By the second week, anyone at any time that was making a trip to Cabarete, he was ready to go. He shopped and shopped and watched and observed. By this time, he had watched enough Dominican families on the beaches and on the streets to conclude that Dominican families know how to rear their kids.

#4 surprise: Americans should learn from the Dominican families. In the days and days he sat in the shade on the beaches, he never saw one Dominican child misbehave. He saw a father tell his 3-yr old to sit in the chair, as a form of punishment for something. Dad said the little girl not once tried to get out of the chair, she didn?t hit, scream, or spit at him. The rest of the family saw her crying, but dad said they knew not to interfere. He said Dominicans appeared to rear their children like we use to do in the 50s and 60s. Damn Dr. Spock.

I was cooking every other night by then from recipes I printed from Aunt Clara?s Dominican Cooking website. I figured if he wouldn?t eat what I fixed, then he always had the peanut butter crackers he brought.

#5 surprise: The man ate and ate. He had never eaten a bean in his life. He scarfed down the black beans and rice I fixed. I fixed homemade chicken noodle soup with celery and spices. He loved it. I stewed chicken in a tomato sauce ? he couldn?t get enough. I fixed fried plantains one morning for breakfast. He ate so many, he almost got sick ? not use to fried foods. But after that, he asked for ?panteens? every day. We went to a German restaurant in Sosua. He said it was the best pork tenderloin he ever had. He drug me to the market and asked me to re-create the meal the next night. Dad eating something with mushrooms in it? God almighty.

He started walking to the Coastal station down the road because I wouldn?t take him often enough. I was apprehensive and told him to listen for traffic. He loved their deli and the employees. He loved watching attendants pump gas.

#6 surprise: Dominicans may be the poorest people he?s seen in a long time, but they are so clean and neat, friendly and helpful. Why can?t our minorities have the same attitude? (Again, he tries to compare them with African-Americans) He said he could eat off the floors of Coastal. He said he couldn?t walk around with 2 cans without an employee offering him a basket.
There is no way any Mini Mart in the states would have that caliber of employees. ?Jan, they haven?t discovered self-serve gas yet!?

Speaking of employees. Doug took him to a shop that sold pumps for washing machines. We needed a new one for the Italian brand we had. Dad said the shop guy knew very little English; Doug knows very little Spanish, but the employee took a painstakingly amount of time trying to help Doug. The employee finally went out in the street to find someone, anyone, that could help communicate. Yeah, the guy wanted to make the sale. But dad said, back in the states, you think someone would spend that much time? Heck no, they?d shrug their shoulders and say ?I don?t think we have that in the warehouse; go to Home Depot down the street.?

We took long drives in the country. He couldn?t get over the diverse vegetation, the farming techniques that reminded him of farms when he was a child. He asked a million questions, which we didn?t have all the answers to, as his nose was pressed to the glass in the car.

We went to a few parties while there and dad met our friends that were from different parts of the world. He thought they all were so interesting and intelligent. (I don?t know how he thought someone from England, e.g., was suppose to act or look.)

I could write a novella about dad?s eye-opening trip to the DR. He felt he had gone back in time ? anywhere from the turn of the century to the 60s. All in all, I wanted to relay the message that his love for the island were for the same reasons we chose the DR over all the other islands to call our second home: the culture, the people, the diversity, the cuisine, and of course, the great value for the dollar. If my dad could change his way of thinking at age 74, then anyone can. He is already planning a trip next year ? and this time, dragging mom kicking and screaming. Now, that will be another story!

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Very nice report!
Just goes to support the slogan, visit the Dominican Republic, it will change your life.
mk

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Hahahahaha!

Jan,

I met your dad, and spent 15 or 20 minutes talking with him at Camden Tom's party in Cabarete in New Year's Eve.

All I can say is that I hope that if I am still wandering around down here in another 20-25 years at his age in 2030 that I am as spry and inquisitive, and having as much fun.

Great story. Thanks for sharing it. Looking forward to seeing him, and the 'little woman' next year.

Tom

P.S.
"OOOOooola 'Glow Worm!"

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I had the pleasure of meeting Janh's father and spent two evenings talking with him. We should all look so fit and vigorous as he is at age 74. Handsome, too. If JanH hadn't kept him on a tight leash, I'm sure the girls would have been flocking around him.;)

I can't comment on how he is in the US, but he struck me as a guy who enjoys kicking up his heels with his buddies whenever he can. I watched him eating foods that I bet he never ate in Kentucky, and that I still won't, and wash it down with beer. And he tells a story very well.:)

Based on my observation, JanH is certainly right about him enjoying his first visit to the DR. I wouldn't be surprised if he returned in the future, and I hope that he will.

Last edited:

BartC

Jan 23, 2004
What a positive story, I absolutely loved it! More like this... please do write the entire "novella" and post it here :)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
JanH

That was a really interesting read. Thank you.

I know most people are shocked when they get here. The people here are amazing and tend to make the negatives go away..

I do hope to meet your dad next yer, Lord willin' , I know it would be a pleasure...

Please visit Santiago next trip.

HB

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
Thanks for all the Positive comments for a change.

BartC - here's some more.

The following are contrasting behaviors of dad in US and dad in DR. The US quotes are surmised. DR quotations are REAL.

Guy on motoconcho pushing an out-of-gas motoconcho with his right foot on the disabled?s fender. They?re going 25 mph down the highway.

In US: That lazy idiot. Only a moron would let a scooter run out of gas.

In DR: Look at that, how innovative. And you know, they will do anything to help other people.

Crowded Highway 4. Bus comes toward us head on in the middle of the road.

In US: Give me the cell phone. I?m calling the sheriff ? he almost killed us!

In DR: Well, look at that. People in both directions just move over. These people are so adaptive.

Dogs laying all over. Coming in and out of restaurants at will.

In US: (Dad doesn?t like dogs). I?m not walking around any of them. If I step on their heads, so be it. In a restaurant ? I?m calling the Health Dept.

In DR: Watch out, Jan, you almost stepped on his tail. In restaurant: you think that dog would eat the rest of my rice?

Farm animals crossing road from one side to the other on El Choco Rd. Chicken riding one of the cows.

In US: If that stupid farmer doesn?t know he?s got gaps in the fence, then it serves him right if they get hit by a car.

In DR: I bet that pig takes the same path every day from one field to the other. I wonder if the farmer taught those cows to cross on their own.

Lizard crawling across living room floor. Then climbs up my table leg.

In US: Call Orkin!

In DR: Jan, leave it alone. It?s good for eating insects that may come in the house.

To top it off. We all brought our golf clubs. Planned on playing Dorada, Grande, and Coasta Azul 9-hole for quick afternoon play. Dad played the 9-hole once. I couldn?t get him to play any of the others. This is a guy that plays 27-36 holes a day when on vacation. I got upset. He said, Jan, don?t sweat it, I can play golf any time at home; you go without me ? just drop me at Sosua Bay for the day. I?ll catch a ?goo-goo? home. Brother.

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
This is Excellent!!!!

I'm going to Stick it up. for awhile!
Please post away!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tim H.:cool:

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
Great post!

Good for your dad!
my mom was the same last year. She never left USA before and was afraid to come here. But when she left she said she would concider living here someday.
Its so much fun when someone is new here, Just watching their reactions to stuff. A friend of mine is to come next month and I just can't wait to show him my new country!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
JanH said:

To top it off. We all brought our golf clubs. Planned on playing Dorada, Grande, and Coasta Azul 9-hole for quick afternoon play. Dad played the 9-hole once. I couldn?t get him to play any of the others. This is a guy that plays 27-36 holes a day when on vacation. I got upset. He said, Jan, don?t sweat it, I can play golf any time at home; you go without me ? just drop me at Sosua Bay for the day. I?ll catch a ?goo-goo? home. Brother.

What I want to know, Jan, is if you let him be on his own for a day while you and Doug played golf. :classic:

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
Ken - not totally. I made my son and girlfriend go with him and sit at a discreet distance from him. He got to know Mikey, the guy that always rents us our chairs.

Get this. He always noticed Mikey had T-shirts on from foreign countries. On the last day, he gave Mikey his t-shirt right off his back that said "Gatlinburg, Tennessee - Home of Dolly World" (dolly parton). Dad NEVER EVER would be so generous.

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
Camden - Dad was very impressed with your "renovated house". He couldn't get over what you had done with it. He's an engineer and looked at it with an analytical eye.

He told everyone that you had a place "to die for." He really enjoyed your party. I kept watching out for him, thinking he'd sit like a lump, and follow me around because he isn't exactly a social butterfly, but he didn't. He talked with everyone.

poquito_loco

Jan 26, 2004
prestige-hosting.com
Tear Jerker

JanH,
You have afforded your father an experience of a life time. Something he will always remeber and so shall you. Now thanks for sharing because we will too.What a wonderful story. I almost got a tear.<Honestly>

Best Regards, PL

AtlantaBob

Jan 2, 2002
Nice post JanH,

It's nice to see some positive post about American visitors in the DR. Your father seems to have a great outlook. It always bothers me when Americans come back from the DR, or any foreign country for that matter, bitching about the service at the hotel, or the lack of hot water or no electricity, or "they don't speak enough English". I just tell them if they want the comforts of home, well, just stay freak'n home! But don't get me started...

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
Bob - funny you should mention about the hot water. Our house came with a tiny water heater. I always run out of hot water before finishing my shower and I hate it.

I knew dad would gripe about it. But you know what he said?

He said he just turned the hot water faucet half-way on, instead of full blast, and the hot water lasted twice as long. " Don't worry about me, Jan, you should do the same."