Generator for Home Use

negrecita2003

Sep 23, 2003
Can someone please tell me what the best Generator is to run power for home usage? Also what will it cost me in Santo Domingo to purchase one of these? Or am I better off buying it here in the states and shipping it, using one of the Dominican companies that ship stuff?

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
Buy it here. It probably will be cheaper and much, much easier.

Familiarize yourself with the terms:
Supersilent: enough noise to be annoying to you/ well muffled and in an enclosed cabinet with the gas cap and exhaust pipes poking out./ expensive
silent: enough noise to be annoying to your neighbors/ decent muffler but unenclosed/ more affordable
other terms referring to noise levels: everyone will know you have a generator/ poor muffler and no enclosure./ cheapest

If you have some room around your house (think on a farm) a silent generator will be sufficient. Otherwise, a supersilent model is advisable.

Kubota makes a 6.5KW diesel generator that is popular here. It is supersilent, diesel, and costs roughly US$5,000. It is also very, very heavy. It will output 110 or 220 or both. It is a nice generator. It should run everything in an ordinary house except airconditioners, water heater or any other unusually heavy loads such as an electric stove.

If you want to run large air conditioners, you will need something more like 15 or 20kW of power. Obviously they cost more, but not 3-4 times more, maybe double.

If you power needs are more spartan, you can use a Honda 30EU or 26 EU (cheaper and slightly smaller) with inverter technology which costs roughly $1,700 and puts out 3,000 watts. It is quiet, economical, gas, and puts out a very, clean power output. 110 only.

Someone else who has been shopping more recently might be better able to fill you in on prices.