First visit to DR

sommerfr

Jan 25, 2004
This is going to be my first trip to DR and my wife and I would like to get a better idea of what clothing to bring for a mid-February trip. I was reading in some of the guide books that it is frowned upon to wear shorts in town and women should be dressed "modestly". Is it O.K. to wear typical vacation garb or not?

Also, forecasts say it is typically in the mid-80's (farenheit) in mid-February, but that is somewhat breezy. Will it be warm enough for tank tops and shorts even in the evening? Speaking of evening, does anyone have a favorite night-spot to take in local music and dance in the Puerto Plata area?

What about the mosquitos? Are they a problem as some of the guide books say?

We're interested in doing some deep-sea fishing. Has anyone done any fishing near Puerto Plata as this is the area we will be staying in? Also, how is the snorkeling in the area?

Thanks for any information.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Not sure what you mean by "typical" vacation garb since we see on the streets of Sosua such things as fat male tourists (probably German) with a beer belly, brief bathing suit, shirt unbuttoned, no shoes and fat women, old enough to know better, wearing brief bathing suits. Not many, it is true, but they are seen.

It amazes me how crumby some visitors look. I wonder if they dress the same at home. Sort of embarrases me too, since I am also a foreigner.

Dominicans do not walk around town in brief shorts, etc--neither male or female. Shorts are ok, but I suggest they be walking shorts and not short shorts. If you should visit a church, forget shorts and wear long pants if a man and "modest" clothing if a woman.

It is too cold many evenings for me to wear a tank top, but then my blood is thin. However, my sons and my brother and his family visited recently and they remarked on the coolness of the evening. I'd bring some regular short sleeve sport shirts for evening wear.

If you go out for the evening to a nice restaurant or for dancing, dress accordingly, not like you are going to a beach party.

I live in Sosua and haven't experienced any problems on the street at night with mosquitos.

The more like a tourist you look, the more the vendors will try to persuade you to buy something.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Proper dress

On the beach: Whatever.

In town: Khaki pants or walking shorts, T-shirts, jeans.

Restaurants: Same as above but with collared, sleeved shirt, shoes and socks.

If you go on one of those "outback" type tours in an open vehicle, take a long sleeved shirt and sun block and a hat. No reason to ruin your vacation with sun stroke or a severe burn.

Bring some OFF? with DEET. Use it if you don't wear socks. Evenings are feeding time for our local airforce.

Dominicans respect good taste.

HB

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Mosquitoes

There was a thread about mosquitoes before, really good.

For me I live by Avon's Skin So Soft Insect repellant and sunblock. I didnt bring it one trip and after that I swore that never again leave home without it!

appleman

Dec 18, 2003
Hi Sommerfr

FWIW...

I just got back from Sosua/Cabarete and did not even see a mosquito. (I did bring some DEET repellent however. Be prepared, it doesn't take up any room to pack it, so bring some just in case).

If dining in town, or just shopping, you will feel more natural and less like a tourist if you wear long pants and collared shirt. Also, a tank top in the evening might be just a little too cool if there is any breeze, but a short sleeved shirt is just right.

I saw fishing charters from the resort in Sosua, but didn't check into them. There are vendors at the entrance to the beach who will be happy to sign you up for a fishing trip.

Bob H.