Great article from Boston Globe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It is a never-ending debate! The article doesn't really reach a conclusion, except for the opinion that the two can be used interchangeably. Our recent thread on the subject was more conclusive: posters were practically unanimous in preferring "Latino" over "Hispanic".

Chiri

pasha

Sep 4, 2003
I'm curious.....

how many people putting down a reply in the "race" block on various Federal and State forms, state Latino versus Hispanic. Surely there must be bean counters tracking such things. No?

Best, P

carl ericson70

Nov 15, 2003
Tony c,
I'm with you on this one.I really don't like the latino or hispanic labels.I prefer to call people from the DR-dominicans,people from panama-panamanians etc...

In my book, lumping all people who happen to speak spainish or descend from latin american countries into the"hispanic or latino"category is like suggesting that americans,british,canadians and jamaicans belong to the same culture.

"hispanic"and"latino"is neither a race nor an ethnicity.

carl

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
I read the other thread and considered printing it out. However, there was too much I would have to edit. Which is too bad because it was a good thread and would be a great starting off point.

As a teacher I am guilty of using "Hispanic" as a blanket term for Spanish speakers. I use "Latin" much less than Hispanic. I use nationalities when I can: "He's Cuban, she's Venezuelan," etc.

My students have very limited exposure to other cultures and even the lackof geography knowledge is astounding. I think before we hit the "Latino" vs "Hispanic" debate we need to nail down where Spanish speakers live!!!

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Terms like "Hispanic" and "Latino" is used for political expediency. Groups like "LaRaza" use it as a way to give more political clout to Mexicans in the US. By lumping us all together they can feed off of the Political power of the Cubans and Puerto Ricans.

Dominicans should learn from this. As a group they constitute a large number in the US but have as much political pull as the Zambian Lobby.

carl ericson70

Nov 15, 2003
MaineGirl said:
I read the other thread and considered printing it out. However, there was too much I would have to edit. Which is too bad because it was a good thread and would be a great starting off point.

As a teacher I am guilty of using "Hispanic" as a blanket term for Spanish speakers. I use "Latin" much less than Hispanic. I use nationalities when I can: "He's Cuban, she's Venezuelan," etc.

My students have very limited exposure to other cultures and even the lackof geography knowledge is astounding. I think before we hit the "Latino" vs "Hispanic" debate we need to nail down where Spanish speakers live!!!

Lol! I concur with ya.Although americans have many a talent,geography isn't one of them.I'm sure that you heard the horror-stories about 80% of college bound high-schoolers not being able to find iraq on an unmarked map.Uhhhh! then there's the folks who think that hispanics come from spain,africa is a country etc..It of course get's worse the further you go up in age-bracket.

Carl

I honestly feel nothing wrong with it. Being called Hispanic which states you speak with the spanish tounge is not offensive if you ask me. I find it something just to complain about if you ask me. Its wasted energy that could be directed to other things in "communities of those who speak spanish" - Try saying that all the time.

If people were calling you "wet backs" or some othe name then we could address the problem.

Is the anger because it was not socially excepted globally by those who speak spanish as a primary language.

Tell me what is the problem.

poquito_loco

Jan 26, 2004
prestige-hosting.com
Did Someone say european?

LOL ummmm just my opinion but we are all humans no matter what. Oh again did someone say european?, african? etc... These are continents that have many countries, that the people are reffered to as one people by many.

Regards, PL

Last edited:

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
sancochojoe said:
I honestly feel nothing wrong with it. Being called Hispanic which states you speak with the spanish tounge is not offensive if you ask me. I find it something just to complain about if you ask me. Its wasted energy that could be directed to other things in "communities of those who speak spanish" - Try saying that all the time.

If people were calling you "wet backs" or some othe name then we could address the problem.

Is the anger because it was not socially excepted globally by those who speak spanish as a primary language.

Tell me what is the problem.

Hispanic and Latino is used as a term defining an ethnic group. Its use in the US has nothing to do with the language one speaks. If so then you can call African Americans "Anglos" because they speak english.

I find it insulting to be lump together in a group with people who have nothing in common with me Culturally, Historically, Ethnically or Politically.

BTW The term "Wet-Back" is the slur used to describe Mexican immigrants. today it can also be used to describe other Central Americans who crossed into this country over the Rio Grande. Dominicans, Cubans, Puerto Ricans and people from South American are not "wet-backs". The Correct term would be "Spic"!

Well thats the question; How it is used. The difinition of the term Hispanic can easly be argued on both sides without any agreement.

African Americans champion that term "African American", because it was the first indentification of black americans given by black americans to black americans and not by white americans given to black americans thats why it is used today

The approach should be the same for Hispanics. For one, no one can identify someone from Panama, Cuba or Argentina by just looking at them. So you have to squash that. Most of the people in my family who are Cuban don't have that typical "Cuban' look as portraid in the states so thats the last thing anyone would identify them as.

I suggest that the hispanic, latino or whatever you want to be called need to indentify with something while living in the United States, because if you don't, like many other cultures here, the government and statisticians will give you an indentity. We already know that makes groups angry.

Remember we are not in a latin country, we are in the states or countries like the states. ;)

This was my old post awhile back so you can understand where I'm coming from--------------

Latino/a I see as a Cultural characteristic as is a Dominican being a cultural characteristic of a group of people living in the country of The Dominican Republic. YET there are variable Races within the country of the Dominican Republic mainly mixed with the three dominate races. Negroid, Caucasoid, and Taino( help me someone) I don't know how the scientist distinguish Natives/Indians when it came to these race labels. Anybody have a scientific term?

Latinos are not a race. The terminology "latino" denotes one's cultural and geographic ties to Latin America. A "mexican" would be a resident of the geographic land mass known as Mexico. A "Puerto Rican" would be a resident of the geographic land mass known as Puerto Rico. There is no such thing as the "hispanic race". The term "hispanic" denotes one's linguistic ties to the spanish language. Many chicanos take issue with being called "hispanics".

---------------------------------------

Last edited:

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
hOW ABOUT...

Personally, I like being called a Latin-American. I wonder why native English speakers dislike the term "Anglo- american"? And why is it that US. blacks want to dis-associate from Anglo America by adopting the "African-American" label when clearly they're no more african than an ebonic Dominican? And why is it that US born people insist on labeling themselves "Americans"? Aren't we the people of this hemisphere not ALL Americans by virtue of being born in this continent? And where are the People of Canada from? Europe?

Don Jaun, do a little studying of American History and you will understand why African Americans disassoiciate.

Read my last post, African Americans were defined without asking for it. Lets see in historic order.

Slave - given to AA by White americans
Black Slave - given to AA by White americans
Nigger - given to AA by White americans
Niggra - given to AA by White americans
Coloreds - given to AA by White americans
Blacks - given to AA by White americans
Neeegros - given to AA by White americans
Afro American - given to AA by White americans
Black Americans - given to AA by White americans
African American - Given to African Americans by African Americans

Funny think they never once thought of calling African Americans just plain o'l Americans. I hope that answers your question.

As far as Latin-American. Sounds good to me. I don't think you should be pressured in identifying yourself. I still beleive that in the Hispanic Community its best to define yourselves because in America people not like you will not call you "American" unless your go to war.

That title seems to only be qualified by White Americans in the states and around the world. Thats why you will never here a White American call themselves "Anglo American" Unless they are doing a term paper in a History class.

Don Jaun, do a little studying of American History and you will understand why African Americans disassoiciate.

Read my last post, African Americans were defined without asking for it. Lets see in historic order.

Black Slave - given to AA by White americans
Nigger - given to AA by White americans
Niggra - given to AA by White americans
"Now for some reason its a problem when they define themselves"

Funny think they never once thought of calling African Americans just plain o'l Americans. I hope that answers your question.

As far as Latin-American. Sounds good to me. I don't think you should be pressured in identifying yourself. I still beleive that in the Hispanic Community its best to define yourselves because in America people not like you will not call you "American" unless your go to war.

That title seems to only be qualified by White Americans in the states and around the world. Thats why you will never here a White American call themselves "Anglo American" Unless they are doing a term paper in a History class.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
sancochojoe said:

Do you think that "White Americans" invented Slavery? Don't you know that slavery was practiced in Africa for 1000's of years before the New World was even discovered? Don't you know that slavery continued to be practiced in Africa after it was abolished in the US? Don't you know that Slavery is still practiced today in Africa? Who do you think sold the Slaves to the "White Americans"?
sancochojoe said:
Don't you know what the NAACP stands for?
sancochojoe said:
Actually it came from the Europeans
sancochojoe said:
Ditto
sancochojoe said:
This term was coined by the radical black movement of the mid 60's.
sancochojoe said:
Actually this was the termed prefered by blacks instead of Negro.
sancochojoe said:
Actually it is a misnomer. Africa is a Geographical term. A Morrocan is as much an African as a Tanzanian. A "white person" from South Africa or Rhodesia is as much an African as any black person is. Are you familiar with the Actress Charlize Theron? Guess what? She is more of an "African American" than Jesse Jackson!
sancochojoe said:
"Now for some reason its a problem when they define themselves"
It is only a problem to people who cannot not handle logic and so they blame everything on everybody else. Particularly the US, Whites, or European History.
sancochojoe said:
Who are they? If anthing it is the Blacks who insist on being categorized. Affirmative action and racial quotas are their legacy.
sancochojoe said:
I still beleive that in the Hispanic Community its best to define yourselves because in America people not like you will not call you "American" unless your go to war.
Do you really believe everything you are saying?
sancochojoe said:
"That title seems to only be qualified by White Americans in the states and around the world. Thats why you will never here a White American call themselves "Anglo American" Unless they are doing a term paper in a History class.
You should read the Miami Herald or watch the TV news in Miami.

Tony, the post was not meant to cause argument. How is the use of titles "blaming someone" . I was not blaming anyone when I mentioned how blacks were identified. Please save the blame game for another argument. I'm not talking about who evented slavery nor arguing if it exist or not or affirmative action. That argument on DR1 has been done and is over with. That was not my point. gee wiz.

Not ALL the identification were concidered negative titles.
My point still stands. You can give me definitions of the titles all you want. I was not listing the difinition I was listing how AA were identified by others and that the titles were not coined by African American. That does not mean it was bad. My point to the Latin community was to identifiy yourself or others will identify you for you.

I wont debate your other arguments. Again thats another debate in an African American forum or some other. You took my point and just ran away with it. Going in all types of directions. Use that energy somewhere else.

Moderator don't close the post, allow it to steer back on course. I'm not going to debate further about the AA community with Tony, I was hoping to focus on the topc.

Tony email me if you want such a debate on that topic so that I can eat you and spit you back out in the debate. I said that in jest. :cool:

But lets stay on topic. Debate topics of DR1 shouldn't close as quick as they do. Lets try to keep it like that. But i'm game for private debate.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.