Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Tonight at the stadium

It's was just amazing everyone at the Quisqueya Stadium was chanting "Que felicidad , Hipolito se Va!

"We are happy , Hipolito is living the office!"
    At the stadium was Gomez Mazara and everyone was shouting at him , Guido go home!!

What do you think guys?

Post Thanks / Like

Question view from a gringo...

I am married to a beautiful dominican lady and so I am always interested in the situation in the DR. My question is this ... what the hell is going on in the DR? Your hippo is a clown and the PRD seems like a circus gone wild. I love the DR and it is sad to see what is happening there. If the hippo is elected, I hope the people take to the streets and put in a real democracry. I was there for 4 months when the peso was at $28 and I had a hard time buying groceries on a dollar salary. I would like to know how the people are eating with the peso at over $50 and the salaries still at the $16 level????????????????? If you need a gringo with a gun to come and support your cause for democracy, let me know and I'll book my flight.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Tonight at the stadium

Originally posted by calamardoazul
    It's was just amazing everyone at the Quisqueya Stadium was chanting "Que felicidad , Hipolito se Va!

"We are happy , Hipolito is living the office!"
    At the stadium was Gomez Mazara and everyone was shouting at him , Guido go home!!

What do you think guys?
    I suppose you mean that H. is leaving office, but that's just splitting heirs (!) on my part!

Seriously, I do wish this will come true, but H. and his clique are desperate, so who knows. Anyway, I guess he got the message, but does he care one bit what the vast majority thinks if he can cling to power no matter what it takes?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: view from a gringo...

Originally posted by crowley
    I am married to a beautiful dominican lady and so I am always interested in the situation in the DR. My question is this ... what the hell is going on in the DR? Your hippo is a clown and the PRD seems like a circus gone wild. I love the DR and it is sad to see what is happening there. If the hippo is elected, I hope the people take to the streets and put in a real democracry. I was there for 4 months when the peso was at $28 and I had a hard time buying groceries on a dollar salary. I would like to know how the people are eating with the peso at over $50 and the salaries still at the $16 level????????????????? If you need a gringo with a gun to come and support your cause for democracy, let me know and I'll book my flight.
    Let me get this straight. Your all for democracy as long as your guy wins right?

I hate Hippo as much as the next guy but he was elected in a fair election. Fair by Dominican standards.

One of the Bad things about democracy is that the people get the government they deserve.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Re: Tonight at the stadium

Originally posted by Paulino
    I suppose you mean that H. is leaving office, but that's just splitting heirs (!) on my part!

Seriously, I do wish this will come true, but H. and his clique are desperate, so who knows. Anyway, I guess he got the message, but does he care one bit what the vast majority thinks if he can cling to power no matter what it takes?
    What i meant is that everyone at the stadium was shouting against Hipolito and Gomez Mazara and asking them to leave their offices NOW! .....Dominicans maybe are begining to react , since the economy is in shambles and everyone is getting affected in a way or another....(The only exception could be the PPH people). Let´s see what is going to happen on 28th and 29th next week. Everyone is on with the strike.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Do the people vote?

What percent of the population is actually registered, what percent actually turn out, what percent is actually legitament that is counted, what does one have to do to qualify to run? What is it, what's it going to take to get a half decent president into office in the DR? Or is it just not going to happen? I mean alot of people shouting at a stadium didn't do it. I would guess they will show up for their positions tomorrow.

Curious, PL

Hmmmmmmmm LOL @ the message below
    Last edited by poquito_loco; 01-27-2004 at 02:12 AM.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Voting is Mandatory in the DR. You have to be registered to vote.
    I believe that voter turn out is somewhere around 80%+.

BTW No matter what country your in....If you didn't Vote...Shut the F*ck up!

Post Thanks / Like

Correct me if I am wrong but I did not think voting here was mandatory, as in compulsory?

In Venezuela it is compulsory, if you don't vote you lose certain rights. It may have changed since I was last there but it certainly was the case a few years ago.

In the DR people have to go to great lengths to vote, waiting for hours in cramped conditions, often having to cross the country to vote where they are registered. I have always been impressed by people's tenacity, yet mystified by the enthusiasm they display when they are faced with such a poor choice!

In the UK I had to nip across the street to my local church hall, wait a minute or two at most, vote, and then continue on to work. All done within 5 or ten minutes. My Dominican husband was with me the last time I did this, and he couldn't believe his eyes.

Chiri

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

I recall voting is an obligation of citizens, while not compulsory. Nothing has happened to a person who does not vote.
    Traditionally, the strongest voter turn outs have happens when the people are voting against someone. Double check reading the Constitution (part on voting and elections). See link in the FAQ first post of this forum.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Checked the Constitution link. It reads: "Todo ciudadano dominicano tiene el deber de votar, siempre que esté legalmente capacitado para hacerlo." Thus voting is a duty, not a citizen obligation. See Art. 9.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast