DR package prices????

C

carol

Hi again :)

It's the new novice on the block. Hope it's okay to bend your ears and ask a zillion questions. That's the only way to learn.

I'm wondering what package deals people here have found? I have noticed from other boards for other destinations that Canadians get better packages than we Americans do. Is this true? The reason that I'm asking this is because most of the people here have always seen the DR resorts very cheap to travel to, which is a good thing for us and for the DR. Lately I've been noticing that the prices have risen very high. For instance: Two years ago, the package for air and a one week stay at a top rate resort on Playa Dorado was in the $700.00 bracket, for an all inclusive. Now the prices are in the $1,000.00 to $1,100.00 bracket. Does this sound right to all of you?

Carol

M

Martine

Hi Carol,

As a Canadian, let me tell you that no the DR is not the cheapest destination for us, Cuba is. For example, the Fiesta Palace in Punta Cana, 2 weeks, all incl. runs about C$ 2400 (US$ 1650 more or less). You can get almost the same thing in Cuba for about C$ 1800 - 2000. Mind you, service is much better in the DR.

Martine

C

carol

Thank you for that :) I wouldn't mind if it were cheaper for you, just looking to see if there's something that I'm missing for us :)

Carol

P

Phyllis

Just two months ago, and considered off season, I paid $1,304 Canadian to stay one week at the Playa Naco resort.

K

Karen

Carol, I think there may be many factors determining price and one is where you are flying out of. For instance to Punta Cana all-inclusive (Allegro) out of Newark , NJ it is in the $700 range. Allegro had their own charter there... I live so far upstate, ny that I am flying out of Montreal and my price is $1002.00 and the charted is called Transat. Still...an all inclusive most other places I have checked is twice the price. Also, from the pictures I have seen, Punta Cana is beautiful and clean!

J

Joseph

We are going to The Paradisus in Punta Cana (our 2nd time) for 1,480.00 pp all inclusive. It is exactly 180.00 higher than the same trip last year as popularity grows.

C

carol

That's actually high for off season. Wow, I better save my pennies :)

Carol

C

carol

Yes, Punta Cana looks gorgeous from the pictures that I have seen too :) Although Puerto Plata isn't the most gorgeous part of the DR, I also think from the trip reports that I've read that it must be a place filled with great resorts and lots of fun.

Carol

C

carol

I visited a site just recently with pictures from the Paradisus, and boy does it look gorgeous! Have a wonderful time.

Carol

N

Natasha

Carol,

The $1,000-1,100 range sounds about right, although last time I cheched American Airline's vacation package to Casa del Mar was $914 pp including taxes. It also depends where you go. For example, Casa de Campo resort might be much higher, especially if you rent a villa which may run you from $2,000 per week excluding air. Still, the DR is one of the cheapest destinations in the Caribbean. Antigua has been heavilly promoting cheap packages, but why go there, please. The one thing I wish though, is for the DR to start building non all-inclusives (my husband and I hate buffets).

Natasha

M

Mark

Re: The "buffet problem"

Natasha,

I agree that buffets at certain hotels can get a little boring, to say the least. However, there are many all-inclusives with a la carte restaurants available to all-inclusive guests. Playa Naca in playa dorada, for example, has the buffet plus three additional a la carte restaurants, a mexican grill, a steak house, and a caribbean seafood grill. The food at all three is quite good with lots of selection. In fact, my wife and I were there for a week and didn't eat at the buffet either night.

C

carol

Do you hate buffets? My husband loves them, but I'd like a non inclusive too. It's more fun and leaves for more control.

Carol

B

Bruce

We leave June 21 from NY (JFK). we are staying at the Iberostar Dominicana ( all inclusive) we booked through www.moments-notice.com for a grand total of $498 + departure tax. This includes Air, Transfers, and the hotel.We have been using Moments notice for about 2 years now and we have never been disapointed. If you can travel at a "moments notice" I suggest you try them .

C

carol

when did you book this? The price seems too good to be true.

Carol