On Duarte's Birthday....

DCfred

Jun 19, 2003
Today, being Duarte's birthday, is a good time to reflect, pray and hope that wisdom and courage will prevail, and that the nation's leaders will put the nation's interest before their own political and economic ambitions.

As Dominicans, we tend to talk a lot about "la Patria" and democracy, and yet we allow our leaders to undermine the founding values of the country. At least Antonio Guzman showed that he had the capacity to feel shame over his government's betrayal of the people's trust, and his suicide proved this in a very redeeming way. It is so sad that the party that fought so hard for democratic values is now democracy's biggest threat.

And shame to the country's elite, the lucky 80. How can they, in good conscience, accept the bailout of their fortunes on the backs of the country's poor and middle class. If there is a true, just God he will not allow this to prevail. At some point, enough will be enough.

I hope and pray that someday Duarte's dream of a fair and just society will be realized.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
I say we do as Duarte and go to Venezuela and die from VD!

Sure bash the rich. Its easy.

Just remember who employs all of the poor and middle class. Of course you can just elect a Goverment that hands out Gov. Jobs just to keep the people happy.....OH wait.....You have....Its called the PRD!!!!

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
Oche said:
who are the lucky 80??

i really don't know.
however, if you ask luis alvarez renta, the hazims, the moyas, the owners of rizek, dist. ure?a, airport mgmnt svs., hillcrest, whoever owns delta commercial now, the meras, the selmans, etc., etc., they may be able to tell you something.