Good calling card

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
All,

I'm always trying to save money on calls to the DR from the US. Wanted to bring your attention to a calling card I recently found, which turned out to be the best card I've ever used so far. I talked a ton for 10 USD.

The card is called DSA National Green and I found it in this site Union Telecard

For those of you who call your sankies...I mean...Boyfriends and "girlfriends" in the DR, this should help you save some money, which I'm sure you will then wire to them to take care of their ailing mother, aunt, etc...

Seriously though, if anyone has any other cards that are as good or better than this please post here.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
For my area in NJ, I usually get Sancocho or Trabucazo (sp?) for $5 - I get and hour and a half and if I hang up I dont lose any minutes. With Sancocho a $2 card gives you 30 mins and change, I talk with one card to like 5 people...

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Talldrink the sancocho cards and the mangu cards work pretty darn well. Too bad it is tough to find them out on long island.

I am flying into NJ this thursday, too bad the NJ get together isn't scheduled for then!

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
We can still ge together, these Northcoast USA people suckk!

By the way, what do you mean you are flying from Long Island, how long is that flight, like 2 minutes?

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Talldrink said:
We can still ge together, these Northcoast USA people suckk!

Excuse me? Are you talking to me, are you talking to me???

Seriously though, you guys said it w/b better to meet in the Spring. That's what I understood anyway. I usually like to attend DR1 reunions.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Wait, are you saying that with a NY Accent? :p

What do you guys want to do? Wanna try it again? Would you come Forbeca?

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Talldrink said:
Wait, are you saying that with a NY Accent? :p

What do you guys want to do? Wanna try it again? Would you come Forbeca?

NY accent indeed!

I'll come if you round up a few people. I don't know the Jersey City area though, let's try to make it in a place that's not so out there.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Where are you?
Im going to go dancing (like a true dominican!) on Saturday. I may go to NY or just stay in NJ.

I'll start another thread...

andy a

Bronze
Feb 23, 2002
The devil is in the details.

Several times on this board there have been attempts to find reasonably priced, HONEST, phone cards.

Little useful information has been learned, and even the subject itself has been met by mostly apathy.

Why not give the VERIFIED (actual audited usage) conditions and tell where/how the cards can be bought.

Caution, there is an almost infinite number of ways that they can cheat, for example:

Connection fees,
Maintenance fees,
Overcharging of minutes,
Overcharging of rate,
Disconnecting their own telephone number (and disappearing),
Charging extra for using the toll free number (especially for Canadian based cards).

Amazingly, most of them make it difficult or impossible to audit one's use (what a surprise).

Also, some of them are very tricky, occasionally giving the advertised rate for 1 or 2 short TEST calls, then charging a much higher rate for the rest.

Again, if anyone has the persistence and persuasiveness to investigate this subject and let us all know the results, please do so.

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
We use Contacto Latino $2 gives you about 50 minutos with one call, but you can still make a couple of calls with it and you get alot of minute usage out of this card.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
I call with my cell phone, so I normally see the minutes I have been on. If you call a cell in DR, the minutes are cut in half. Of course, there is always a connection fee, but with Sancocho I find that for $2 I can talk for a long, long time!

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Phone card

My daughter uses something called STI Phonecard - NY. For ten dollars she gets around 400 minutes. There is a biweekly maintenance fee, but it is something like a quarter. I think it is pretty good. She can call and we'll talk for hours on one card.

ZEUS

Bronze
Feb 14, 2003
La Latina

From NY to Dr, I use La Latina. This card 'gives' you the same amount of time to a cell phone as to the home phone. Another good thing about it is that it won't charge money when the answering machine 'picks up' and you leave a message. They promise 66 minutes for a $2.00 card. With a $2.00 card I call all my family and friends.

Try it available in your area.

Zeus

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Re: Phone card

La Profe_1 said:
My daughter uses something called STI Phonecard - NY. For ten dollars she gets around 400 minutes. There is a biweekly maintenance fee, but it is something like a quarter. I think it is pretty good. She can call and we'll talk for hours on one card.

Profe, I like this card. Can your daughter give me more info on it?

BTW - I met a guy over there that calls himself El Profe, so now everytime I see your name I think of him (how sweet!) :bunny:

dale7

Apr 18, 2002
www.stores.ebay.com
I personally used to use Nobel calling cards. They have good rates and many options with certain cards rounding to the next minute or second, some have connection/maintenance fees but they are clearly spelled out and you have several to choose from. But they are NOT good for calling a cell phone in the DR, the rate is way different. I used these cards for several months.

Then I got smart and realized, hmmm, if I switch to a major phone provider I get a cheap plan with international rates, costs me 19cents a minute to call the DR, cell phone or regular phone, but with the charges(Universal/Federal, whatever the heck they call that), it equals about 22cents a minute. But I get 5 AA miles for every dollar spent and so I am happy now and got 5000AA miles by switching to this phone carrier, AT and T works with American Airlines, and Northwest airlines works with Sprint, I am unsure of other airlines/mileage opportunities. No more trying to get through, bad connection, and having to dial all those numbers.
dale7

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Since I call the DR every single day, I have tried so many cards that it's sickening just to think about it. I was just looking for the one that gave me the most minutes and I finally found it!!!!.

It's called: Mi Gente Tricom-New Jersey. This is the trick: if you use the 800 number, they will give you less minutes because they charge for the connection fee. BUT you can go around paying for the connection fee. How?. Well if you use a cell phone that gives you free nights and weekends, DO NOT USE THE 800 NUMBER. You must use the local numbers that are above the 800 number.

My result every night?: for a $5.00 card, I get 2 hours and 15 mns!. It's great to use for a one call conversation.

There is Mi Gente-Florida. It gives less minutes but its also good.

If you want to make those 5 or 10 minutes calls, then you can use: Big Shark. It gives you about 1 hr and 10 minutes on one call but if you use it for short calls, it does not take alot of minutes out.

May

Jan 27, 2004
phone card

I have recently discovered the phone card as Verizon charged me almost $700 for four phone calls to D.R.; (they charged me almost $4.00 per minute.. still trying to fight it). So it wasn't as if I had talked for ages.

There is a card called Blah Blah Blah which can be used both in NY and calling from DR (they sell it over there too). The only thing is that unless you plan on staying on the call, it's no good. I don't have friends and when I call is to find out info, so it's no good. For $2.00, my friend says she can talk over an hour as long as she stays on the same call. If, however, you want to make multiple calls, No Good.

But I found a new card this week called NY Boss, or Boss NY. I heard the announcement on the radio. AMAZING. I bought the $2.00 card, and I called numerous times to D.R. I am trying to find another dentist for my future trip, and have called numerous doctors all on the same $2.00 card. The last time I used it it had .63 cents, and told me I could speak for 9 minutes. So I will continue to buy this NY Boss if I have to call D.R.

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
The best (almost magical) card I ever had was "El Mayimbe" - I saw it only at this bodega in Queens. The $5 card gave almost 2 hours to a cell phone and hardly any minutes were wasted when you make a second call.

Besides this my favorites are:

Tricom-Mi Gente - 66 minutes for $5 to cell (this gives the best reception/connection and is the only 1 where the call goes through immediately everytime) . Few minutes lost when making a second call, but you loose a few minutes if you get someone's voicemail.

Mi Casa - 82 minutes to a cell phone, connection pretty good, no minutes lost for a voicemail or quick hang up, but you loose quite a few minutes for 2nd call.

'Ta 'To - I used this only 2 times and hesitate to buy again because it seemed like days on end when it didn't work, but when functioning it gave the most minutes I ever saw - more than 2 hours to a cell phone.