Wheel Chairs in Punta Cana

jimh

Dec 9, 2003
Some friends and I will be in Punta Cana in early March. One of them needs a wheel chair. He has been trying to arrange something with the hotel but not getting much satisfaction. Does anyone know if there is anyplace in Punta Cana to rent wheel chairs and, if so, how can I get in touch with them.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Jimh,

I will do some research on this matter. I already have an email dispatched to a friend in Higuey who may be able to provide information on a wheelchair source. Can you provide the name of the hotel? Also, have your friend continue to press the hotel for a wheelchair while I work it from this end.

Regards, PJT

jimh

Dec 9, 2003
Thanks for you help PJT. They will be staying at Superclub Breezes. I will also make sure they keep annoying the hotel.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
This is what I have to date.

There is a small storefront in Higuey, 35 miles from Breezes. The name is "Centro De Rehabilitacion" located at Av. Laguna Llana #83, in front of the Basilica. The phone is 809-554-1456 It does have a wheelchair. The rent is RD $600 per month, no mention of a security deposit. English is not spoken there.

To be truthful, its operation is very Dominican. The employees could not answer the very basic questions, such as: Are there any sillas de ruedas (wheelchairs) available to rent? What is the tariff? without having to make a phone call to the boss, if you catch my drift.

What PJT was able to find out, the only good wheelchair is rented. The backup chair was functional, but the plastic armrest on the right side needed repair. They need an advance notice.

Keep annoying the hotel.

Regards, PJT

Drugdog

Mar 28, 2003
Wheelchair

Had the same problem at another resort in PC

We called the holding company and they put us in touch with the resort MD.

Breezes is owned by: VRL International Ltd.

If that does not work Call the resort and ask for the Doctor. The Doc will speak English.

If that does not work call Breezes main line: (877) 467-8737

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Stupid question, but why not just bring his own? He could check it at the airport when not using it...

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
suarezn said:
Stupid question, but why not just bring his own? He could check it at the airport when not using it...

Suarezn, The object of this thread is to find a wheelchair rental for our poster friend, Jimh. If the poster was able to bring a wheelchair, this post would be moot.

You can help by sending off an email to Breezes at info@superclubs.com . Request their assistance in obtaining a wheelchair. Be sure to mention the resort location and the date when the guest is arriving.

Regards, PJT

jimh

Dec 9, 2003
Thanks for your efforts PJT and your advice too Drugdog. The news seems to come in batches. I just got an e-mail tonight from my friend saying that the hotel had found a wheelchair for him.

Suarzen, the reason he didn't want to bring his own is that he normally uses an electric scooter outdoors and crutches indoors. He's not the kind of guy that likes to hang around a lot and sometimes it can be difficult finding vehicles that can transport a scooter. Breezes apparently doesn't have back-up power and he was also concerned that, if there were blackouts, he wouldn't be able to recharge his batteries as often as he would like.