Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default please tell the truth !

We are booked at the Ocean arc Decameron in Juan Dolio for two
    weeks in feb. I am scared s*itless from some of the reviews on Debbies site . It seems as if they are reviewing two different
    resorts . i.e.
    food good , food terrible people with diarria people throwing up
    and sick for total holiday
    beach has white sand and clear water , beach is dirty with brown sand and seaweed and murky water .
    rooms clean with good service , rooms dirty and mouldy with plugged toilets and cold water showers and no towels .
    staff great and helpful , staff awful with a bad attitude and mass overall confusion .
    I know it is not a five star and I am not all that fussy but if the food is that bad and the staff rude and the rooms mouldy and
    dirty I will likely get arrested as I am not known as a calm person who will put up with bs .If anyone can give Me there honest opinion
    who is from the Juan Dolio area I would sure appreciate it . Maybe
    Ricktoronto or any of You other fine DR1rs . We book cheap so We are able to afford to rent a car and see the country , but if it is that bad I will push the travel agent out of Ottawa for a change
    wanted to see the south coast this trip but maybe not .

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Your vacation will be as pleasant as you make it!!!

Come with a positive attitude and you will be fine!!There are some people in the world who only see the worst in everything! I like "Ice Cold Milk" with my breakfast! At the "AI,s" this can be difficult,or impossible to get! You ask a "Server" ,who says "Si",and then never cames back!You can make this ruin your vacation,or you can get an empty glass,go to the "Juice" area,and fill it with ice,then go to the cereal area,and find a pitcher of milk and fill your glass!You can buy a carton of milk at the store,and bring it with you,same goes for ketchup,salad dressing,or anything else that is not available,and you "Can't live without"!Buy a can of "Bug Spray",and keep it in your room,for that mosquito that is in your ear at 3 am!Be responsible for your own happiness! If there is a real problem,like no water,or air conditioning in your room,STAY CALM!!!! Start yelling at the staff and you will get "NADA"! Dominicans don't respond to yelling! State your problem,ask for their help,and tell them you are going to the pool,and will return in 1 hour to see what has been done.If nothing has been done calmly ask to see the manager,and repeat the process!Ask for another room if needed!
    If you smile a lot,say "Hola" to everyone,and generally act "Friendly",the Dominicans will make sure that you have a fantastic time! Come with the "Attitude" that comes across in your post,and you will be missersble!!! Cris Colon

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with CC, words to live by.

Saying that, I just read some of the reviews on Debbies page.

Hotel/Resorts must hate the Internet

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Right on the money..

Excellent advise, CC
    Like I have just said in another post, talk to your travel agent, if it is a good agency, then someone on their staff has most likely been on a fam trip to this resort or area and would have brought back a full report , if not, check around other agencies and see if any of their agents have been.
    Believe me, after a brief stint of working guest services at Playa Naco, I have heard it all !! I even had a complaint about the light over the dining table being too high - what was I supposed to do about it ???
    Just do a little more research, read between the lines of some of these reviews, if there are more bad reviews than good, maybe there is some truth to them or maybe this hotel just attracts all the naysayers!!!!
    Good luck, relax and enjoy your trip,
    Marlie

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

The area where your hotel is located -- Juan Dolio/Guayacanes -- has lots of good restaurants, so if your hotel is cheap then you have the option to dine out. Since most of the restaurants still have very attractive price lists, this would be the way to go. The flexibility of having a car is great too so you can move around and explore other beaches in the area, from Boca Chica to La Romana, without feeling you need to stay in the hotel because you have paid for your meals and don't want to miss out.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I agree with Criss

Attitude makes or breaks a holiday. The first trip we made we ended up having to stay an extra day because of airplane problems. Now, think about this, I'm in NS where it's -30 and there I was in DR where it was a balmy +30 and I could do nothing but relax, someone fed me and gave me whatever I wanted to drink.........still there were folks who ended up having this incident ruin their entire vacation. You heard not one complaint out of me. Vacation is what you make of it. Go with no expectations and you'll have a great time. Accept what you can't change and if you can change it, do it, but don't let it ruin anything. (do I sound like I just said a prayer???)

I'm actually a little down right now as we aren't going anywhere this winter and darn it's cold here!!! My girlfriend was just in myoffice and was saying if we ever decided to go last minute somewhere they'd probably join us..........got me thinking.......but man, I don't know if it'll happen this year! Here's hoping!! Looking at last years pix just doesn't do it for me anymore!

Trish

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by marliejaneca

Believe me, after a brief stint of working guest services at Playa Naco, I have heard it all !! I even had a complaint about the light over the dining table being too high - what was I supposed to do about it ???
    A lot of these negative complaints come from people from countries with laws that let them recover part of their travel expenses if everything was not exactly as advertised. When I worked at Hotel Gran Bahia, I saw small groups of guests sitting aroung dreaming up problems that could be used as the basis for claims. their goal was to get a all expense reimbursed vaction.
    Last edited by Ken; 01-27-2004 at 07:24 PM.

El Mujeron
    Post Thanks / Like

Default To Ken

What countries are these so that I can go visit?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by Ken
    A lot of these negative complaints come from people from countries with laws that let them recover part of their travel expenses if everything was exactly as advertised.
    Don't you mean "if everything was not exactly as advertised"?

I believe there are people from here in England who go on holiday just to pick fault and complain. It doesn't seem to matter where in the world I have been, if I've heard people complaining, they have always been Brits. What a miserable bunch of tosspots my fellow countrymen (and women) are

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast