Reply to the National Democratic Institute

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
This is a letter I wrote to the NDI regarding DeChevalier's report on DR in the Miami Herald:

"To Mr. Geraldo Le Chevalier:
Your recent report on the Dominican Republic's political and economic situation, although accurate, is an understatement. As things are developing, we are living in a police-military siege, where civil and constitutional rights have expired and mob law directed by the government of Hipolito Mejia is now a reality.
Just today, several civic leaders belonging to groups sponsoring a peaceful strike this Wednesday were arrested without cause by intelligence military groups. The civic leaders were awakened and terrorized early morning.
The government is exarcebating the Supreme Court by threatening to remove key judges, including the supreme court chief justice, Jorge Subero Isa, to implant political hacks as substitutes and pass laws favoring Mejia's reelection campaign and other issues.
We are very close to a dictatorship. Never in the last 40 years has Dominican Republic been in a chaos like this. The government has implanted anarchy at all levels to disrupt normality to be able to fish in trouble waters. The first victim of this plan is the May 16, 2004 elections. Hipolito Mejia does not want free elections. He fears his days are counted as elected president. His palace ring of mostly corrupted officials, some of whom have lost their U.S. visas due to suspected criminality, are desperate and will do anything to stay in power. Mejia has tried to corrupt the military and has succeeded in dividing the army in two camps. This is extremely dangerous, since former army generals have warned they will not sit still if pro-Mejia generals try to use power to force an uncosntitutional government.
Illegal wiretapping is widely used by intelligence government agencies like the DNI to spy on almost everyone, including Mejia's own vice-president Milagros Ortiz Bosch, who is herself against his attempts to reelect himself.
Almost 50% of his own party members are against Mejia's plans, including his own party's president Hatuey De Camps, who has called Mejia a "liar and a cheat". His own secretary of tourism Fello Subervi, and a former PRD party president have joined forces against Mejia.
If something is not done by the international community to reinforce fairness in the next presidential elections, a major fraud is in the making. This election must be the most watched election in history, perhaps in Latin America, due to the sensitivity of the situation and the possible precedent it could set.
Should Mejia and his mafia style palace group succeed in thei attempts to violate the constitution and commit the fraud we are all expecting, other repressive governments in Latin America and potential anti-democratic forces will begin a revival of the old days of dictatorial rule in our hemisphere."

Golo

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
I admire your honesty and conviction, but...

...I hope your next dateline will not be: 6 febrero, La Victoria

DCfred

Jun 19, 2003
Welcome back Golo!

Maybe the DR needs its own version of Corazon Aquino- "people Power!"

AtlantaBob

Jan 2, 2002
Good post Golo, pero...

when his baldness and henchmen sees this, South Florida may not be far enough away for you! I know a place where you can hide near Miches! But keep up the good work. I just can't believe the people of the Dominican Republic would allow this man to run in the election again.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
DCfred said:
Welcome back Golo!

Maybe the DR needs its own version of Corazon Aquino- "people Power!"

LOL That is so funny!!!! Almost made me snort up my Cafe Cubano.

People power my Ass! I guess you belive that the Marcos downfall had nothing to do with the FACT that the Fillipino Military turned against him. Just like the 500 Million Hindi Rioting had nothing to do with the British leaving India. It was all Ghandi and the non-vilence Movement.

I defy anybody to name me one revolution or overthrough that has happend without the use of violence or the threat of violence

Mel Laird

*** Sin Bin ***
Jul 18, 2003
Tony C said:

People power my Ass! I guess you belive that the Marcos downfall had nothing to do with the FACT that the Fillipino Military turned against him. Just like the 500 Million Hindi Rioting had nothing to do with the British leaving India. It was all Ghandi and the non-vilence Movement.

I defy anybody to name me one revolution or overthrough that has happend without the use of violence or the threat of violence

Czech republic

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
I just sent her a letter of my own, and I encourage everybody to write to them. The more media attention we get the better. Let's make sure Mr. YouKnowWho can't cheat his way back in.

principe

Nov 19, 2002
im starting my letter

im writing to the new york times right now, i have proposed this before but i urge anyone who has but an inkling of love/appreciation for the dominican republic to write letters and capture media attention in the us

getonwithit

Mar 17, 2003
Tony C said:

Georgia

Apr 26, 2002
Excellent letter, Golo. Very pursuasive. I won't comment on whether Balaguer did the exact same things that Hippo is doing.