Economic/Political Unrest

Pulphead

Jan 27, 2004
I am traveling to Punta Cana from 2/6-2/13. I was wondering if the recent political/economic unrest around inflation and gas/electrical shortages has disrupted the resorts in any way?

I see the exchange rate has jumped from $35 DOM for $1US to $50 DOM to $1 US in 1 day! How is this effecting the price of goods if purchasing using US dollars?

Any other helpful tips?.....this will be our first time to the Dominican Republic...

Thanks
Mark

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Most prices of services to tourists offered by the resorts themselves (hotel room, excursions) have been and continue to be posted in US$, thus there will not have been an increase in prices to the tourists. Where tourists get a good deal is when they leave the resorts and visit stores or restaurants frequented by locals. In many cases prices have not been fully adjusted to the devaluation of the peso because local wages have not climbed in the same proportion. That is, if the places that sell to locals were to adjust the prices accordingly, they would not find buyers, so given the inelastic demand prices have climbed slower than devaluation. So, as a tourist, you can take advantage of the situation. This is especially so if you were to visit Santo Domingo, the cosmopolitan capital city, where you would get great bargains of top quality goods. Come and enjoy. It's like visiting a place that is on a giant clearance sale for those with foreign currency.