Advice please

lindsey

Jan 27, 2004
Hi everybody,

Was looking for some advice please! Im a 19 year old female from England and am planning my GAP year. I have my heart set on DR, I have been all round the island before, but not sure what is the best way to go about my GAP year.

I would love to work in tourism in the POP area, i know the pay is v.low so would have to save plenty before i come out. I have some girl friends in the POP/Sosua area who say they will help me find a cheap apartment. I have two options - to do this myself, or go through a volunteer organisation such as GAP or Project Trust, where I pay for food/accomodation beforehand.
I would like to hear from anyone who has experiened this, or has any suggestions, as really want to start making definate plans. I speak relatively good Spanish, and have qualifiations in travel and tourism industry.

Thank you for your help.

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
It means 'gap year', the gap inbetween studying and....... studying more or going to work.

We go off travelling in our 'gap year'!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
GAP = Go And Play???

if you are thinking on working, try and see who is sending tourists to the DR and see if you can come out as one of their in-country personnel.

Depending on what you're studying at university, you might find some company that is in your field and ask them if you can intern in the DR...

As for volunteering, well i done that been there. It will do for a year and if you have your food and board paid for, anything else might just be icing on the cake. Jobs are going to be extremely scarce for a while..

Good Luck

HB

lindsey

Jan 27, 2004
Thank you for your replies.

Is it generally easy finding tourism work in the Puerto Plata area? Has anyone done this on their own........?

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
I would post another thread asking that question (if I was you), you will probably get more replies that way.