Elder Care...

Kuda

*** Sock-puppet ***
Jan 1, 2002
A serious question...

Can anyone tell me about elderly care in the D. R. (Please, Timex, spare me your standard reply)...I've researched and still don't know.

Specifically, I want to know what level of care is avaliable there. Latin culture is revered for its appreciation of family and friends. But what do Dominicans do when a loved one has a stroke. Or Alzheimers disease. Or worse! And cannot be helped at home.

What quality of outside care is available to a family with a challenged member? What is the cost of care, really. And compassion and respect, is that extra?

I imagine that it depends on how much money is available, but is it like in the US? Where they (the place providing service) deplete all available resources? And then place you in a place that doesn't care? What happens when the money runs out??

Please. Your response is quite valuable.

Your response is greatly valued.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Most people are "Cared For" at home.

I know a very wealthy family with a 22 year old mentally challenged son.He is like a 4 year old on speed.They have always taken care of him at home.They have 24 hour help,but that is only peanuts here.They are just "Babysitters",with no training.My wife's 100 year plus grandmother lives with us.She doesn't have Alzhiemers,but at that age she does get confused,and depressd,and anxious at times.No big deal here!
There is a Down's Syndrome group here in the country.
On person who came here with a "Special Needs" child,left for lack of support! This is the "3rd.World"so don't expect the "Mayo Clinic"! Cris

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
Ok Kuda, I'll spare you.

I wouldn't be able to help you with that.
I could only relate what I go through with my 12yr old daughter, who has very special needs.

CrissColon!!!!

By the way, I am the worlds biggest POS!!!!!!!
I never got around to properly THANKING YOU!!!!!
With all of my Daughters, problems being lumped together, by the other Doctors we visited, we were almost out of hope.

But after you made the arrangements with the Head of Neurology, at the Plaza del Salude, for her, we met with the good Dr., 5 days of conducting, every test under the sun, he was able to diagnose her, and prescribe a treatment program!!!!!

After 8yrs, of asking what?s wrong with her?????
I am Thanking You, for what you did!!!!!
She is such a joy now, a completely different person!!

From my Wife & I, Thank You Tom!!!

I am too over-due on that, and I will, make it up, to you, within the next 2 weeks.

Tim H.

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Care for the elderly

This is one area that is sadly lacking in the DR.

As far as I know there is one private facility in santo domingo and it is full up all the time, with a long waiting list.

there are geriatic centers run by the government and usually maintained by some Good Sisters. Public support of the center, especially in places like Santiago and Moca and other places is generally limited to yearly fund drives and the good ladies of the community.

My Mother in Law had Alzheimers, in a mild way, and we cared for her within the family.. At first with her sister that we provided for, then with live in people that cared for her 24/7. And eventually we built her a house where she and her caregiver could be very close to us and lastly she had a room in our house with 24 hour care. Most people here do that with their elderly.

HB

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Much better than the Eskimos. They used to put the elderly unable to care for themselves on an iceberg.

My sons (jokingly, I hope) tell me that is what they are going to do with me when the time comes.

Kuda

*** Sock-puppet ***
Jan 1, 2002
Thank you for your kind replies...

It's much as I expected. Actually, in my opinion, the DR way is a better way, but it's ironic. Harder to make big bucks, but one can more easily afford the assistance, even live-in. Whereas in the US, it's easier to make the bucks, but not enough to afford get 24 hour help. So these "facilities" are created to spread the costs and end up delivering substandard care.

We, too, try to keep them at home. Great Gramma is at home, 103, still getting pension checks from Studebaker, and hanging tough. But her son, Grampa, is challenged with diabetes/Parkinsons/Alzheimers combined with a recent stroke. Gramma still has to work and needs help to rehab him. In home help is cost prohibitive. Nursing Home becomes a necessary evil.

Anyway, it's been on my mind a lot lately. DR will be on my hot list of alternatives to human warehouses. Bless you all.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
My dad is 89 years old with all of his facilities, walks, drives and works still. He was here a few weeks ago and I discussed with him caring for him in the DR when he needs help and he has agreed to this in advance. I have actually stopped considering his agreeing with what I plan to do as a necessity but was happy he understood my reasoning.

You can get fabulous help for very little money. If my dad can no longer get along I will have 2 people working during the day and 1 every evening. Dominicans have a great respect for children and elderly in my experience and I am sure I can find good help for a mere pitance compared to what it would cost me in the States.

Hope this helps.

Scott

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I think this is a good plan, Scott. I agree that the cost would be much less here than in the US. I hope your father can deal with the change when the time comes (though from the looks of your father, it is a long way off. I never dreamed he was 89 when I met him.) I say this because I have another friend who tried this with a family member. However, the woman was very unhappy. She missed her friends, didn't like the summer heat, etc., etc. So before long they had to take her back to the US and make much more expensive arrangements there.

But I still think it is a good idea and it is what I would want for myself.

quaqualita

Feb 4, 2002
Re: Care for the elderly

Hillbilly said:
This is one area that is sadly lacking in the DR.

HB

I disagree. This is one area that is FORTUNATELY lacking here in the DR.

I don't know about the US, but in Europe I have seen many old people in eldery homes. Most of them sit around all day hoping to get a visit from their children and grandchildren, who most times find an excuse not to visit.
Parents and Grandparents are very welcome as long they raise you, feed you, give you a home, education, car, money...
But, if grandma gets old or even sick, then it is way too much trouble for the family to take care of her.
If Dad / Mom are old and need now help to get dressed or to go to the bathroom.. so what?! Didn't they do the same for you when you were a child?
I don't speak about everybody, but many families in Europe tend to get 'rid' of older family members by simply transfering them into an eldery home. They just don't want to deal with spending some extra time and work to help them out.

This is one thing I never could understand / accept in the (specially German?) mentality, and believe it or not, was one of the many reasons I moved to the DR, to live in a country where the word family still means something.

I agree with Escott, Dominicans have so much respect for the elderly, it's just a normal thing to care for them at home when they need help, and this is exactly how it should be.
I daubt, even if there were enough eldery homes here in the DR and the Dominicans could afford them, that many would use them. It's just wouldn't feel right for a Dominican sending his parents / gransparants into an eldery home.

It's also nice to read that many of the expats here on the board take care of their older family members themselves.
Years ago I was in the planning to bring my grandmother permanently down here to live with me. She had visited a few times before at the age of over 80 and in a wheel chair. She loved the DR, the climate, the kind people. Unfortunately she passed away just before we could finalize our plans.

quaqualita

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
True but changing

In a country where there is no social welfare the family needs to help the needy. Until early in the last century this was the case even in Europe as well.
Then the family care shifted to the welfare state which many welcome and some regret. (Es gibt halt immer zwei Seiten der Medaille, Quaqualita.)
With the Dominican society changing rapidly and a strong influence from the money minded US, family bonds will also lose its strength.
Unfortunately, there is the example of an aging mother in my wife?s family, who is only looked after by one of her many children.

Seachange

Jan 13, 2004
www.Banker-Trust.com
Stroke victim would like to live in the DR

A US senior citizen couple I know would like to retire to the DR. However, the husband recently had a stroke and has lost use of his right side. And, unfortunately, the prognosis isn't good. The wife feels that around-the-clock care would be easily affordable in the DR but is concerned on getting him here. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Kuda

*** Sock-puppet ***
Jan 1, 2002
Seachange, I say...

If they have the means, then they should do it. Nothing is more horrid than being bound to financial servitude while you watch your loved one endure a "home". Rather than spending your time with them, you end up inspecting for physical damage and auditing the delivery of service.

Much better to hire affordable daily help (or round the clock) and be near and hold dear that person that earned the respect and love that is embodied in this gesture. Like the scenario Escott described. I hope one of my boys is like Escott.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Ken said:
I think this is a good plan, Scott. I agree that the cost would be much less here than in the US. I hope your father can deal with the change when the time comes (though from the looks of your father, it is a long way off. I never dreamed he was 89 when I met him.) I say this because I have another friend who tried this with a family member. However, the woman was very unhappy. She missed her friends, didn't like the summer heat, etc., etc. So before long they had to take her back to the US and make much more expensive arrangements there.

But I still think it is a good idea and it is what I would want for myself.
I will build an a/c Villa that has a pool with Wheelchair accessability and other enhancements that will make his life easier. Maybe I will add on a few extra bedrooms for you and some others and charge 1000US a month for some great personal care. Sheesh maybe add another for myself since I should be ready by the time my dad is.!!?!! LOL

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Put me on the list, Scott. You make it sound so inviting that I may move in before I need to.

quaqualita

Feb 4, 2002
Escott said:
I will build an a/c Villa that has a pool with Wheelchair accessability and other enhancements that will make his life easier. Maybe I will add on a few extra bedrooms for you and some others and charge 1000US a month for some great personal care. Sheesh maybe add another for myself since I should be ready by the time my dad is.!!?!! LOL

jeeze Scott, if only you would have been around and done that 8 years ago. This was exactly the plan my grandmother and I had. Some other people planned to build something like this, but for other reasons ended up not to do it and I we wasted time looking around for other possiblities. I can't stop thinking, that she would have lived much longer here in the DR, if I would have been able to finalize this plans for her.

quaqualita

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
Re: Seachange, I say...

Kuda said:
Much better to hire affordable daily help (or round the clock) and be near and hold dear that person that earned the respect and love that is embodied in this gesture. Like the scenario Escott described. I hope one of my boys is like Escott.
Funny, when I first proposed this to my dad his first response was, "I don't want to be a burden to you so I won't do it".

My response to my dad was "you will be a freaking burden whether you are in NY State or if you will be in the DR but, in the DR I can AFFORD the best care I can think of and in NY I couldn't possibly for any length of time".

One person full time in NY State where my dad lives would cost me 5x in one week than 3 people in the DR for a month. The numbers don't lie and how can you possibly compare the eventuality of living in a home because Medicade/Medicare would pay for it after I go broke.

Maybe this is something we should consider doing as a DR1 project. A limited partnership on a kick ass Senior facility in the DR. We need someone to do the numbers:)