Moving to DR

Yulka

Jan 28, 2004
Hi, i spent several hours on this forum. Some of your stories and comments are great.
I guess I won't surprise you if I say that I consider moving to DR in some distant future. I will certainly go on holidays first to get the feeling of the place, etc. But at the moment I'm trying to gather as much information, impression, advise from as many people as possible, espessially if you live there.
My questions would be: 1)what's the average cost (buy out and rent) of a 2 bedrooms house in a good location? 2)is it safe in terms of political situation? There is no safe place nowdays, so be honest. 3)any place is good for living if you have enough money. Somebody said here that 1500 US dollars a month is a decent budget, so consider I come with intention to buy a house and start a small business (shop or restaurant or tourist agency, etc.), how much would be to start/maintain a small business?
I'll be happy to hear any comments, but please dont' ask me why I want to move to DR.
Cheers

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I'm assuming from your post that you have never been here.
"I will certainly go on holidays first to get the feeling of the place".

Also it looks like it's not going to happen anytime soon.
Many things can change in the "some distant future" time period.
Political situation, costs etc etc.

That being said, I think posters will just be wasting their time and effort replying to your questions. You may hate the place the minute you step off the plane or not be here for another 3-5 years.

My advice is to come here on vacation, make contact with people from this message board and pick their brains. Then come back to the message board with any specific questions you may have.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Impossible to Predict the Distant Future

If you were coming in a few months, we could help you. But the distant future is impossible to predict. By continuing to read the board, and by getting acquainted with the mass of information in the archives, you will get a better understanding what life is like here.

When you make your holiday visits, be sure and get off the resort grounds and meet the people and see something of the country.