It's the big button on the right, stupid!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
If some idiot at the CDE, EDSA, EDNever or whatever it?s called these days reads DR1, please disconnect one of the sectors that never pays a single peso towards electricity and send some our way.

We haven?t had any power in our sector since around 11am yesterday (Jan 28th).

Ok, that?s a lie, it did come back for an hour this afternoon.
Talk about tease people!

The generator and inverter are getting a real work out :(

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Since Wednesday 28th 11am we have had around 6-8hrs of real power.
It's now Saturday 9am. These are the longest blackouts I have ever experienced here.

Obviously they are having trouble finding that button...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Same here. We had about two hours power yesterday morning, and just 3-4 in the evening. It was off all night, and has just come back on. Hope it will be enough to re-charge the inverter.

Chiri

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
I Am Sure This Will Bring Me MORE Bad Luck But ...

After two days of 15+ hour power deficits Wednesday and Thursday, (following a two week average of about 10-1/2 hours) power was out only about 5 hours Friday. Came back on around 12:30PM and has been on solidly ever since.

Even better, for all but an hour or two during this time the line voltage has dropped to a near normal 126VAC from 132VAC which now won't pass into our system and leaves half the house disabled unless we turn on the generator.

Tom (aka XR)
With Fingers Crossed

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I have to laugh when I think back. When I was in England last summer, I remember uttering the words "great, we have lights". My family must have thought I was nuts. Plus the not drinking out of the tap didn't help.

The joys of living in the DR. If you can live here, you can live almost anywhere :)

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
A big diesel storage tank + automatic generator on/off makes all your electrical problems go away.

We've had massive outages over the past week or two, but they haven't made a scrap of difference to me because of this.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
adrianb said:
A big diesel storage tank + automatic generator on/off makes all your electrical problems go away.

We've had massive outages over the past week or two, but they haven't made a scrap of difference to me because of this.

Yes, we have all that. But I would rather have "real" electric. What happens when the generator has a problem? What happens when gasoil is really hard to buy?

The "real" electrical problems have not gone away, they have gotten much worse, that's what I'm trying to get across here...

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Adrian

You've just turned into a little Australian Blue Blood haven't you?It's not that simple.

First, as already discussed someone is ripping their hair out scrounging up the diesel to keep that tank full so all of "your" electricalproblems go away. Remember there is still a huge petroleum shortage at the present time and supplies are being rationed.

Second a big generator requires a lotmore work than just flipping a switch from 'off' to 'on', whether manually or automatically. Do you know how much oil those things consume? Without modification an oil change means 7 to 15 gallons every week or two. At the same time the oil filters all need to be changed. This can cost nearly as much as the fuel itself! But at least you don't have to beg friends or stand in line to get these like you do for diesel.

Finally there are maintenace issues. While a big diesel is relatively uncomplicated and can run for long periods of time, continual use will take it's toll on them as well. Best to have two (new) generators running side by side,or cycle between generators and inverters for nomore than a 50% operation cycle on either generator.

Robert's no dummy, Adrian. It is very difficult keeping the lights on right nowfor everyone. For your building, too. You're just removed from the process. These posts you see are from folks who are responsible and in daily direct contact with these problems. We know, you're fine - for now. But this in no way changes the reality of what's happening here to the vast majority -99.9%- of the population.

Tom (aka XR)

P.S.
Yep, Robert, as soon as I posted EdeNunca jumped up to 140VAC and my system shut 'em down. We HAVE luz and we're running the generator. :: sigh ::

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
adrianb said:

And if there is no diesel to put in the tank we're all in trouble.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
> You've just turned into a little Australian Blue
> Blood haven't you?It's not that simple.

I'm not trying to piss everyone off! I simply *do* want to make the point for outside readers that you DON'T have to suffer through all these electrical outages. There IS a better way.

And if I save one person from all the hassle I went through last November, then its worth it.

> First, as already discussed someone is ripping their
> hair out scrounging up the diesel to keep that tank
> full so all of "your" electricalproblems go away.

Yup. And its wonderful.

> This can cost nearly as much as the fuel itself! But at
> least you don't have to beg friends or stand in line to
> get these like you do for diesel.

Thats why having it managed by others is great.

> And if there is no diesel to put in the tank we're all
> in trouble.

I still have my 6.5kW gasoline generator. And if as a country we have absolutely no electrical grid, no diesel and no gasoline, then everything will stop and we'll start to get some world attention.

The real problem is that our electricity bills have not gone up in proportion to the devaluation of the peso. And if/when they do increase electrical bills, the entire country will go crazy. So we're stuck with reduced power, which is going to get much worse before it gets better.

This whole situation is a pressure cooker waiting to explode.

Adrian

Last edited:

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
I, for one, am not upset at you Adrian. However your 'advice' is dangerous in that it ignores reality and that needs to be clearly understood by anyone reading it.

Sooner or later unless the government either starts paying it's bills, or eliminates subsidies, fuel won't be available here for anyone's planta at any price. We're almost there at that point now.

You have not solved this problem you have temporarily stuck your head in the sand and hidden from it. That's all. Problem with having your head in the sand is that it's very difficult to see the guy coming up from behind to kick you hard in the ass.

Tom (aka XR)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Is this "Adrian Bashing"????????

Then it's "MY TURN"!

"Never Mind"!........ After re-reading your last post,you said that the cost of electricity has not increased "PROPORTIONALLY" with the devaluation of the peso!I didn't SEE proportionally the first read. If you convert my most resent bills to US dollars,I actually pay LESS than I did 2 or 3 years ago!

Tom,you are doing a much better job of maintainance on your planta than I am! I have 20 kilos,and I change the oil,5 gallons,
about once a year!!!Mine is an old "Monster",so it may be less demanding that yours!

I must say that putting the "On/Off" switch(Manual) in my master bath has made my Father-in-laws life much simpler,and I use much less "gasoil" since he don't have to go to the "planta' to shut it off at 3 am!!!
cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
No we just have to build a master bath and find a father in law to populate it... then we can install the the on/off ;)

Another challenge AdrianB...

Good management cccc

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
if you lot were from Los Alcarizzos or Los Tres Brazos...

...you would be well used to this by now. Don't forget those less fortunate enough to live in those barrios have gone a week or more at a time without power and/or water for years now. True enough, the utilities receipts from those sectors are not the highest per capita in the country. Maybe I shouldn't complain, at least you lot don't riot.

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
...i don't know how you troglodytes can stand it.

i think my electricity went out for a few minutes some time last week (- rich bastard's zone, santo domingo)..........next you'll be telling me you don't get water.

ah! you poor, poor people.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
So When ...

Is your and Adrian's coming out party. We'd like to attend if our skin color and lack of essential utilities doesn't offend the blue-blood class.

Tom (aka XR)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It's not getting any better!

Just in case people thought the lack of posts on the subject meant that things had improved power-wise in the capital, let me tell you that we are still living with 6 hours power in 24 if we are lucky. Yesterday Sunday we had power from about noon to 8pm, then it went all night and did not come back till almost noon. But, by 1:30pm it had gone again. Not enough to recharge the inverter, I fear, although we are putting minimum strain on it: not running fans (luckily it's not that hot) and keeping lights to the minimum when it's dark.

Is there an end to this in sight?

Chiri

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
There Is No Light at the End of the Tunnel.

Chirimoya said:
Is there an end to this in sight?
EdeNada shut it off!

Whether by accident or not power has been slim but very regular here, On at 8:30AM, off at 12:30PM. On again at 8:30PM, off at 12:30AM. So about 8 hours a day from EdePoco, and 16 on the generator.

Tom aka XR