UPDATE on the MYDOOM virus notice down below! MUST READ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Here is the latest thinking of Microsoft on this virus. All the posters who commented below are right on! LOOK OUT!!

Revised Information: See bottom of post for revision date/time information.

Win32.MMail.A continues its spread across the internet. Here's some further information.

Win32.MMail.A
Discovered January 26, 2004 at 6:06PM EST
Detected January 26, 2004 at 7:49PM EST
Added to referencefile 252 (01R252 27.01.2004)

Also Known As: W32.Novarg.A@mm, W32.Mydoom@MM, W32.Shimg, WORM_MIMAIL.R

Worm emails itself to datamined email addresses. The recipient will receive an email with various headings, including:
Hi
Hello
Error
MAIL DELIVERY SYSTEM
Mail Transaction Failed
Returned Mail: Response Error
Server Report
Test
An attachment (the worm) is included using the file extension .exe, .pif, .zip, and .scr. Filenames include body, document, file, message, test, and text.

Upon execution, it will drop taskmon.exe and shimgapi.dll in the %system% folder, and set taskmon.exe to autostart in the HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run subkey.

If you receive this email, do not open it. Immediately delete the email, download the latest referencefile (01R252 27.01.2004 at the time of this writing) and perform a full system scan as shown by the settings here:

Lavasoft Help & Support
How To: Perform a "Full Scan" with Ad-aware
http://www.lavahelp.com/howto/fullscan/

We will continue to monitor for new variants. Remember to keep anti-virus software and Ad-aware updated, and practice caution when opening email from any recipient.

Please be careful

HB

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003
MYDOOM fix

My system is not infected but clearly people who had my email on their address book did, as I have been inundated by attempts by the virus to hack me. Thanks HB for the useful advice.

Another quick diagnostic and fix for the darned thing can be found on the link below, just in case any DR1 'ers need it. In the event that some folks did get infected and choose not to fix it, the designers of the virus implanted an expiration date to this creature, so it will actually self-destruct and stop annoying people by Feb 12, 2004. It may however leave backdoors opened for further future attacks.

http://www.sophos.com/support/disinfection/mydooma.html

-Tordok

claudius_2k

Apr 10, 2003
you can use Eudora instead of Outlook , then you can (almost) say "A virus, trojan, what's one of those?" like MAC'ers :)

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
...why waste money on a mac, if you already have a pc? linux is free.

i confess to using windows a lot on a separate partition - but with a linux partition i have full access to all data, etc. on the same pc - and as you say, "what's a virus/trojan?"

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
99% of people will use just one OS, that sort of kills the Linux idea. Saying that, I have 4 at my finger tips here :)

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
newuser said:
For those of us with a limited knowledge of computers, can one of you give us a short explanation as to:

#1 - Why someone using a MAC does not have to worry about a virus or Trojan?
Most are written to infect PC's not MAC's.

#2 - What is Eudora?
Another type of email client or piece of software to download your email.

#3 - What is linux?
Operating system. Makes everything work, sort of like the engine for your computer.

Use http://google.com for more info.

Time to close this.

Status
Not open for further replies.