Arriving at SDQ airport any tips?

michelle2504

Jan 29, 2003
Hello all,

I am arriving at SDQ. I am going to fly YOW to PHI and then PHI to SDQ.

I was reading in previous posts that some people have trouble with customs inspectors at this airport. The reason I am a bit worried is because usually we always fly into PUJ and because there's so many tourists they just assume that we're going to an AI and don't bother us.

This time I am going with 2 huge suitcases in which I will be bringing alot of stuff that I know would be very difficult or expensive to buy in DR because I will be staying for an extended period of time. Nothing illegal or anything just personal items.

So my question is what is the best "strategy" to get through the SDQ airport with no hassles. Should I pretend I don't speak spanish at all and I'm just a tourist coming for a visit?
Because I really don't want to have to wait while the go through all my stuff and try and bribe us.

Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

Michelle:nervous:

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Just go with the flow

I personally skip customs entirely but if you are a tourist and don't speak Spanish they will leave you alone and probably won't look at anything. It is pretty routine, and they seem to have lessened the number of graft artists there.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Hard to say

michelle2504 said:
Hello all,

I am arriving at SDQ. I am going to fly YOW to PHI and then PHI to SDQ.

I was reading in previous posts that some people have trouble with customs inspectors at this airport. The reason I am a bit worried is because usually we always fly into PUJ and because there's so many tourists they just assume that we're going to an AI and don't bother us.

This time I am going with 2 huge suitcases in which I will be bringing alot of stuff that I know would be very difficult or expensive to buy in DR because I will be staying for an extended period of time. Nothing illegal or anything just personal items.

So my question is what is the best "strategy" to get through the SDQ airport with no hassles. Should I pretend I don't speak spanish at all and I'm just a tourist coming for a visit?
Because I really don't want to have to wait while the go through all my stuff and try and bribe us.

Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

Michelle:nervous:
Michelle, it's pretty hard to say. I have traveled to the DR many times and sometimes they check and sometimes they don't. I was there 2 times the last 6 months and they have not checked my bags. Maybe it's because I travel with a very small luggage and a carry-on. Just put 2 singles dollars on the bottom of a 5 dollar bill and keep it on your hand in case they ask you for anything. They will not check to see what you gave them but they will look at the first bill.