Santo Domingo -> Sosua ?

jerrys

Dec 14, 2003
Hi!

I'll be arriving at SD Airport in a few days.
How long does it take to drive from SD to Sosua?
What bus services are available? How about
catching a plane from SD and land in Puerto Plata?
Then taxi to Sosua?

How much would it cost ? ( A big price difference?)
Your thoughts are welcome! Thanks.

Best,
Jerry

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Caribe Tours runs buses hourly to Sosua. Takes about 4.5 hours and costs about RD$180. This is what I would recommend.

Yes, you could fly to POP and take a taxi to Sosua. The airport is actually closer to Sosua than Puerto Plata. Don't know about airfare but airport taxis will charge you US$15 to Sosua. To fly you would need to arrange for a charter flight.

Take the bus.

jerrys

Dec 14, 2003
Thanks, the bus sounds like the best solution.
It's better, that way I'll get to see the country.
Where do you catch Caribe Tours buses,
right at the airport ?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
To get the bus, you will have to take a taxi from the airport to the Caribe Tours bus station in the city. The buses go daily, 7 days a week, leave hourly, with last bus to Sosua leaving at 6pm. Buses leave on time. When you get to the Caribe Tour bus station in Sosua, you will need to take a taxi to your hotel from the taxi stand opposite the Caribe Tour staton (bus stops at taxi stand to unload). Cost of taxi to a hotel in Sosua is RD$80, except if you arrive at night it may be a little more.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
You may also consider Metro. It'll cost more (and I think Ken's prices are probably a bit low now, due to inflation). But you won't have people sitting behind you eating stinky fried chicken and rice.

You will need to get a taxi to Sosua from Puerto Plata though.

For convenience, Caribe Tours is better. For better quality buses, the Metro is better, and about 20% more expensive. When I can, I use the Metro.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
jerrys, take the Caribe Tours bus. The buses are very comfortable with reclining seats and are air conditioned. They also have movies to watch enroute.

Yes, you can take a taxi from Puerto Plata to Sosua, but the going rate for tourists is $US20.

The Caribe Tours price when my wife went to SD about 3 weeks ago was RD$180, but it could be more. Prices have been changing quite rapidly lately due the economic situation.

Also, Caribe Tours runs more buses than does Metro.

Have a good trip.

Jersey Devil

Bronze
Jul 5, 2002
Metro station

jerrys said:
thanks Adrian and where is Metro station located in SD?

The Metro station is located on Winston Churchill a few
blocks north of 27 de febrero.

I have personally taken Metro several times and found
their service to be good.

JD

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
It really doesn't matter which bus company you take of the two (Caribe Tours or Metro Tours). Both companies offer european or american style coach buses with soft music, sometimes movies, reclining seats, a restroom, - Metro used to give complimentary coffee, don't know if still does- and you'll get an elevated carefree view of the Dominican Republic and the eratic way dominicans drive around the bus.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I might be wrong but I think Metro only goes as far as Puerto Plata so if you are planning on going to Sosua better take Caribe.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Yes, Metro stops in Puerto Plata. Taxis to Sosua charge visitors US$20.

Take Caribe Tours.

tngold

Jul 15, 2003
luggage

Does the caribe tours buses have storage space for luggage and is it safe? I was thinking maybe just paying for 2 seats and using the extra seat for my luggage. Opinions please....Thanks

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Yes, Caribe Tours has ample storage. And yes, it is safe. At least I have never heard of any baggage being lost and have never experienced a problem myself.

If you are talking about the bus from Santo Doming to Puerto Plata or Sosua, there is only a very limited opportunity for anything to happen. If you are truly worried, you can stand outside the bus until it is preparing to depart and the luggage compartment doors are closed. The bus stops in Santiago and luggage is removed. If you wish, you can step outside and watch what is being unloaded. Same in Puerto Plata.

But as indicated earlier, my wife and I have never given this possibility a thought on the many trips we have made on Caribe Tours buses.

PS: they also have an overhead rack inside the bus for small stuff.

tngold

Jul 15, 2003
Hello Ken thanks for the info. I am flying in to SD on the 11th but want to spend some time on the north coast and think that may be the best way to get there. Thanks again.