Film Festival this year?

RedrumXIII

Jun 20, 2002
Does anyone know if there'll be a film festival this february as per the last few years? Given the economic climate and collapse of you know who....

Thanks in advance..

ps.. this was the link: www.cine.com.do/festival

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Good question...

...and very confusing! There is absolutely nothing about it on their website, and no mention on the DR1 calendar either.

After I saw your post I spoke to one of the organisers, she said it started on the 26th Feb. Then I tried to double-check with a search on the web and on another site it is down as 11th - 18th Feb...

Probably best to write to them. Their e-mail address is - festival@cine.com.do

Meanwhile, I'll see if I can shed some more light on this and will report back.

Chiri

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003
RedrumXIII and Chirimoya,
Gracias for posting about this and please do keep us posted with any news.
It would be a bummer if its not happening this year, I'll be in SD feb 13-15 and would've enjoyed such a thing.

-Tordok

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Tordok, sorry to disappoint you. The dates are confirmed as starting on 18th February and lasting one week.

Chiri

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003
Cant'win them all,... can we?....hey, maybe next time around for me. Thanks again for checking, and enjoy the shows.

-Tordok

Tordok

Bronze
Oct 6, 2003
RedrumXIII said:
Tordok what kind of films were you expecting to see if any?

I was just hoping to see what I can't typically see in the States; recent Latin American films, maybe regional documentaries, that kind of stuff. They are not impossible to find here, but I figured that this festival would put some of these works conveniently together for a few days. :cool:

-Tordok

RedrumXIII

Jun 20, 2002
I missed Oliver Stone's COMANDANTE, his documentary on Fidel Castro.. that would be a nice addition to the festival.. god i wonder when they'll post the program.. of course it'll be the day before the event begins.. :speechles :sleep: lol

Edwin

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I have been tossing around the idea of sponsoring a small film festival, run the whole thing off of Trace inverters in order to promote the equipment, I just don't know what kind of a venue to use but I'm thinking a small event, like something that would fit in Rocky's or some such place that would be willing to host the event.

Since foreigners living in the DR are a good market for these products I think I could get my bosses to provide a small budget for the promotional event and I'm sure some restaurant or bar would be happy to have the business brought in.

I know local video rental places are usually pretty mainstream in their selection and so a good selection of indie and foreign films that are hard to find here would probably bring in some bored expats.