Looking Good in the DR

JamesV

Jan 15, 2004
Hi all

I came to the Dominican Republic on vacation but I'm planning to stay a while however, all the clothes I brought with me are all beach wear. Can someone give me advice on where to shop in Santo Domingo (I'm staying near the University UASD) and DR fashion tips for a guy in his mid 20s.

Currently I'm abit confused on DR fashion, it looks like all the girls dress like they are going clubbing and the guys look like bums off the street. Whats casual dress for a guy in the DR?? as it's SOOOOO hot here I hoped it would be all shorts and T-shirts but I'm getting the impression I'm being looked down upon for always looking like a tourist fresh of the boat.

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
Standard dress for 30ish guys seems to be a collared shirt such as a button-down shirt and khaki pants with decent brown or black shoes and a cell phone. If you wear shorts you are either at home, exercising, or a tourist.

I really don't know where you are getting the idea that most guys looks like bums. They might not be that well coordinated, but they attempt a much dressier look than most Americans. A good number here in SD are in fact, quite sharp by American standards.

Long sleeve shirts are common as are ties for business. Suits are pretty rare. Hopefully someone who is better informed can fill you in more. I live here, but clothes aren't my thing.

sjoekik

Feb 7, 2002
Go to Zara in Acropolis Mall, their men's section is very good and you'll find everything from casual to formal.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
For discount price clothes -- some leading brand purchases -- also see Casa Ivelisse (Gustavo Mejia Ricart near Tiradentes) and Anthony's (Tiradentes corner Roberto Pastoriza). These two places within walking distance, or they have branches at Plaza Central mall.

theartofbone

Oct 28, 2003
Hey there...

James V said:
Hi all

I came to the Dominican Republic on vacation but I'm planning to stay a while however, all the clothes I brought with me are all beach wear. Can someone give me advice on where to shop in Santo Domingo (I'm staying near the University UASD) and DR fashion tips for a guy in his mid 20s.

Currently I'm abit confused on DR fashion, it looks like all the girls dress like they are going clubbing and the guys look like bums off the street. Whats casual dress for a guy in the DR?? as it's SOOOOO hot here I hoped it would be all shorts and T-shirts but I'm getting the impression I'm being looked down upon for always looking like a tourist fresh of the boat.

Whats up man, we're like in the same boat. I need to get some new clothes and don't know of many places sicne I'm also no, but do happen to go to school near the UASD and would recommend you go to Duarte and Paris to find clothes. However, it is extremely ghetto over there and people try to rip you off so you should go with a friend or someone you know.

Best Regards,
Rob

Last edited by a moderator:

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Casual here is roughly equivelant to business casual in the states. The key is to dress like a yuppie at all times.

There is no counter culture here to speak of, so learn to identify fashion trends that are counter-culture and avoid them.

It is also very important that your clothes look new and expensive, (ideally, people should be able to see the name brand) and that you look like you just had a shower 1/2 and hour ago, no matter what time of day it is.

santanatwins

Jan 20, 2004
What would you like to portray

Myself and my friends visit every month. We tend to dress casual during the day....HIp hop fashion...Loose tee shirts.....shorts and a hat to keep the sun out of our eyes......Let's face it....it can get hot in DR and why would you want to wear anything but short in hot weather. Mind you, this is how we dress in NYC in the summer as well.

During the evening....we will usually wear jeans and a button down short sleeve shirt or pull over. Unless your going to a business meeting or on a hot date, I don't see the need to dress in business attire.

I know when I was in my early 20's, I don't think I even owned 1 business suit.

And when shopping for clothes in DR, stay away from the malls in my opinion. You can find better deals in the smaller mom and pop clothing stores. JUst ask the next guy you see that has something on you like and ask him were he shops. People are friendly and won't mind answering questions.