voluntary work in DR

zimgirl

Feb 2, 2004
at Chiris suggestion, I am starting a new thread with regards voluntary work. I have just signed up with an organisation..see website i-to-i.com they are the only ones I could find who offer projects in DR. They cover teaching english as a foreign language, community development and conservation. Good Luck. Look forward to the infamous friendliness of all in DR in Sept.;)

T

TiberiusMineola

Great Idea ! ! ! Carry on!

I think that this is long overdue. There are many well educated foreigners living here who have time on their hands & a social conscience. So much valuable could be done at so little inconvenience for the Dominican poor [@80% of the population, by my estimate]. I hope that you have a 'sign up sheet' of some kind for people in all parts of the DR who want to get involved. Keep up the great work. Many are willing to join you.

Fonseca799

Oct 2, 2003
There is an organization in Santiago called ILAC (Institute for Latin American Concern) headed by Father Ernesto Travieso. It is funded by donations through Creighton University (Omaha Nebraska). It's personal approach to working in the rural communities empowers local leaders and educates them without being paternalistic. ILAC's development projects respect the campesinos and make them active participants.
ILAC programs are possible because of the efforts of the Cooperadores de la Salud, Dominican Men and Women selected by their own rural communities to receive ongoing health care training and education at the ILAC center in Santiago. Students (college) spend a month long clinical rotation working in various facilities. They are joined by licensed professionals for two week increments.
I apologize for being so lengthy but I have been a financial supporter for this organization for five years and I get excited. I have spent some time in some of the villages an have seen first hand how successful the program is. I plan to retire in 2005 at which time I will be able to come to Santiago and get physically involved.

Raquel

Feb 1, 2003
I WANT TO vollunteer in POP but I have had trouble finding organizations in that city. Anyone know about any...esp that deal with children or teaching english. I dont want to live in their compounds though...like the orphange requires you to do???

boogie07

Sep 19, 2003
Volunteer in La Romana?

does anyone know where you can volunteer in la romana DR an orphanage or school, etc.??

disciplemckie

Feb 16, 2004
www.dovemissions.com
Raquel said:
I WANT TO vollunteer in POP but I have had trouble finding organizations in that city. Anyone know about any...esp that deal with children or teaching english. I dont want to live in their compounds though...like the orphange requires you to do???

There are many orphanages and schools that need help. We are planning a youth group trip (small-3 kids and 2 adults) this March. We are working with a wonderful woman from NY that is a retired teacher. Her name is Grace Gallager and she teaches english to students in POP. She is setting up our trip and our itinerary is packed. I'm sure she could help you. She works at San Felipe Church in Puerto Plata. Good Luck! You always receive 10 fold in return for what you give!

dprasociad

Feb 9, 2004
Raquel Who are you .....a spoiled brat.

I read all your posts and

A) You are in love with a DR Man to whom you are sending money...or not

B) You are studying law in University or not ( the drugs question..)

c) You I have a DR boyfriend that wants to join the DR Army....maybe

d) You want to live In Tropical Villa

e) You have been or not been to DR before....

f) You will come now or soon to DR

g) You will not listen to your parents or to people on this board

h) Looks like you need money to live here or for you ..or Boyfriend....

i) You have a Special (your Special ) song....looks like love or passion is in the air

j) You want to do charitable work here...

I will be taking bets that soon you will ask

How to get married

How to get visa for DR novio

How to send money to mama in DR (mama will be a sweet sixteen latina)

Then in 2 years you will have one child ...no novio..

A mature person can get married and have very succesfull life..kids all over the world make poor decision and get in trouble ...divorce...

Seems to me that you are impulsive...and living in make believe world..

PLEASE STAY HOME

Yours

Last edited:

lilcanadiangal

Jan 23, 2004
Paying to Volunteer?

I would absolutely love to volunteer while I'm in POP this summer, but I just can't afford to pay in order to do so. I think the prices you have to pay are so ridiculous just to give your time... :eek:

lilcanadiangal

Jan 23, 2004
Yeah, it is crazy...

disciplemckie said:
Who told you that you have to pay? That is the craziest..

It's on the websites. If you go to www.i-to-i.com, for example, it's pretty damn expensive! There was another website that I checked out too. They're the two websites posted on this thread and they both require you to pay in order to volunteer with them.

disciplemckie

Feb 16, 2004
www.dovemissions.com
lilcanadiangal said:
It's on the websites. If you go to www.i-to-i.com, for example, it's pretty damn expensive! There was another website that I checked out too. They're the two websites posted on this thread and they both require you to pay in order to volunteer with them.

That's for room and board and special instruction. If you have a place to stay and pay for your own meals, you can volunteer just about anywhere for free!

T

TiberiusMineola

ILAC - Institute for Latin American Concern

ILAC is located in Santiago, accoring to a most interesting post. Is there a web site? Phone #? Thank you.

NurseRen

Oct 30, 2003
I have worked with ILAC and they are an incredible organization to volunteer with. They are partnered with Creighton University in the States (Omaha, NE). Here is the website, and a contact name in Santiago...

http://www.creighton.edu/ILAC/ilac.html

Radalme Pe?a Castro (809) 736-0774

Erin