Diesel Reports

Andyman

Feb 3, 2004
It would seem as of today Puerto Plata has no Diesel.
Does anyone know when we will have some and where?

Please let everybody know...

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Only preferred customers are getting deliveries, and those are usually just 10% of whats ordered.

Once people run out of diesel for their generators, Hippo will have his chaos to declare martial law and postpone the election.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Thanks for the info about shortages.

I just checked on this for my building.. Apparently we have enough fuel and can get enough.. our maintenance company seems to have very good contacts and can get as much diesel as necessary.

However we're having a building meeting on Thursday.. they're going to give us an additional fuel charge of RD $10,000/month per person. For me this is not a problem, but obviously I am concerned about whether others in the building can afford to pay it.

So I may be back to generator days again. :) We'll see.. if I am forced to, I will get an automatic generator.. I may see if the building guys will run it for me, too, so I don't have to deal with all this stuff.

What a hassle.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I think you are in for some fun. RD$10,000 is a big hit, especially if your earning in pesos. Ration time is just around the corner for your "electric 24hrs" apartment building.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Yep, may well be; I am concerned.

Last time people agreed to pay RD$4500 additional, but $10k may be above what they can do.

How much are other 24 hr buildings charging for additional diesel?

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Do you mean does it run 24 hours? no, it's standby power, takes about 45 seconds to kick in - but is supposed to run continually during blackouts. They are pretty annoying with their maintenance schedule though, they like do do maintenance during blackouts instead of when there's power God knows why, but I'm sure saving fuel is a consideration.

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Shortage??

I was told there is no diesel in Las Terrenas, so I drove to Sanchez and was able to buy 150 Gallons there.
People arriving from Nagua reported that there one could only get 500 Pesos worth
of "gasoil".

Kimadj

Oct 23, 2003
There is a supply of premium diesel at Texaco Cabarete now, cos we just got some.
Cheers Kim & Paul

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Such a Deal!

adrianb said:
.. they're going to give us an additional fuel charge of RD $10,000/month per person.
Yo, Adrian! RD$10K/month is like 1/3 of our 24 hour run time costs here at Xanadu City. I think you ought to consider moving out of the city and out here to the country where we've set up a little bit better infrastructure.

Had to do it ourselves, and not let somebody else run the show, but, hey! You get what you pay for! Knowutimean? Nudge-nudge!

Tom (aka XR)
Trying Very Hard Not to Say I Told You So! :: wink ::

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
No Diesel Pto.Pta

I have been trying every morning on my way to work for over a week now to buy diesel for my Jeepeta and every day the same anwser...........no Diesel. I got a 1/2 tank left so that might do me untill some gets here!

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Hey Tom,

I am already prepared for this; I will connect up my planta to fill in the gaps if necessary, and run it to turn on/off automatically.

However I just had an interesting chat with the lady upstairs. She said she refuses to go back to an inverter, and if they put the generator on a schedule, she's moving immediately!

I was amused by that. :)

I talked with MrMike, it seems like they're paying hardly anything more, due to a full building. My building is not full, so we have to pay the extra. So maybe I picked the wrong building to move into.

Also its not the cost I care about - its the hassle of running the damn thing.

Anyways, we'll see how it goes.

Adrian

gerd

Jan 10, 2002
Sosua.
Just got back from the german butcher next to the car wash on the road to Cabarete. They're both closed because they couldn't get any "gasoil". A delivery of 100 gallons is supposed to arrive today (si dios quiere) which will last about two days.

Coastal gas station is selling diesel up to 5 gallons per customer, if you want to fill your cans.

Isla Verde Hotel, Cabarete, which uses only their own generator for power supply will run dry today.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
These shortages of "Gasoil",and "Gas" seem to be in Santiago,

and "Points North"! I have no trouble buying either one here in Santo Domingo.(For NOW,that is!)I have 3 "Gas" tanks(cooking gas),and try to keep about 100 galons of Gasoil on hand.I have a 55 galon drum I think I will now fill too! Can I use a 250,or 300 gallon "Tinaco" to store Gasoil???If not,I think it's time for a "BIG" metal storage tank!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
adrianb said:
I am already prepared for this; I will connect up my planta to fill in the gaps if necessary, and run it to turn on/off automatically.

We have a gasoline generator, too. But the problem isn't the source of the electricity, it's the fuel used to generate it. It's not just diesel it's all fuel products that are being rationed. What you've just said is akin to being adrift on a life raft in the ocean and as you see your fresh water running out you smile happily to your mates and exclaim, "Not to worry! When the water runs out, We'll just switch to making Kool-Aid!"

adrianb said:
However I just had an interesting chat with the lady upstairs. She said she refuses to go back to an inverter, and if they put the generator on a schedule, she's moving immediately![/B]
Uh, OK! Thanks to Mr. Mike we're installing a new inverter this week. The only way for us to save diesel is to use the generator to charge the batteries, and run off the batteries as long as possible which we'll do starting this weekend I guess.

Thanks Mike!

Tom (aka XR)

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Apparently my building is on the verge of running out.. So much for "we have enough and can always get more".

My generator is now hooked up and ready, and I have a couple of days of fuel on hand.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Diesel Tanks

Criss Colon said:
Can I use a 250,or 300 gallon "Tinaco" to store Gasoil? If not, I think it's time for a "BIG" metal storage tank!
I don't think so. The plastic used in diesel tanks is a different mix to keep the 'gasoil' from eating it away. But there is an easy solution. Lots of ferreterias sell diesel tanks, all prepped for easy filling with openings in the proper places for standard plumbing components to connect it directly to your planta. We were going to have one built on this slab, but this was much faster.

This one cost me $5880 in Sabaneta two weeks ago. First fill it held 230 gallons. We plan to connect another one to it for 500 gallons of capacity.

diesel.jpg

Tom (aka XR)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You will soon learn to hate gasoline generators!

They are not called "Emergency Generators" for nothing! Only diesel generators are made for permenant use.Gasoline is loud,expensive,high maintenance,and you will enjoy carrying "Gas cans" up and down to your apt!
I am having some feelings of "Self-satisfaction"after reading all your previous post proclaiming your "Holyer Than Thou" outlook to the power shortages in the DR!
Anyone can have 24 /7 electric power in the DR! But it ain't cheap,and you can't depend on "Others" to provide it for you!!!Like you said,("We have enough,and can always get more!")That is only one example of believing in what the Dominicans tell you as you sit sweating in the dark!!!!
ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

mountainfrog

On Vacation!
Dec 8, 2003
www.domrep-info.com
Tinaco for diesel fuel

I use a 125-Gallon-tinaco for transporting diesel fuel to the finca. There it is gravitiy
fed into the metal storage tanks (450 G).
Although there always remain a few gallons in the tinaco after its use it does not seem to be being eaten away.
Yet I would not use it for storage either.
The designing of metal tanks, however, requires some thinking. It certainly is not a job for the local craftsman at his open-air workshop (slanted bottom for water sediments drainage, filter system , vents,
anti bulging reinforcements, certified welding, etc.)
M?frog