police in the dominican.

Y

ydkdy

Will someone tell me about the police in the dominican. Are they very corrupt there and do they use there power to be harsh on people? Are they All around to protect you and keep the peace or what? Do they carry rifles or what? How do they treat hookers and other people of this type? Thank you for your help.

R

Richard

>>Will someone tell me about the police in the dominican. Are they very corrupt there and do they use there power to be harsh on people? Are they All around to protect you and keep the peace or what?<<

Sure your not talking about NYC? C'mon police corruption happens everywhere. In all my years traveling there I have never been harrased or stoped by any policeman.

D

Dan

ydkdy,

Yes, there is Police corruption in the Dominican Republic. The whole country is run by bribery. Normally the police will not bother tourist's though, because the President has issued a law that the Police are to leave tourists alone. At one point many foreigners were not returning because of police harassment. The way they treat Dominican's is very different. In the DR you are guilty until proven innocent and the police and military can basically get away with just about anything. If a person even looks suspicious, they can go to jail with no questions asked. I know, I grew up there.

R

Richard

>>At one point many foreigners were not returning because of police harassment. >In the DR you are guilty until proven innocent >and the police and military can basically get away with just about anything. >I know, I grew up there.<<

So did my wife and her family.

R

RAMON SANTOS

STOP BY NEW YORK CITY YOU SEE IF ANY DIFENT BETWEEN DOMINICAN POLICE AND N.Y. POLICE . BECAUSE I DON'T SEE ANY DIFENT.

R

RAMON SANTOS

THE ONLY DIFENT A SEE IS IN DR TAKE 20 PESO IN NY CITY TAKE 1000 PLUS DOLLARS OTHER DIFENT THEY HIT YOU YOU STIK (MACANA) IN NY CITY THEY PUT LA MACANA IN YOU ASS IF YOU DON'T KNOW ASKED LOUIMA THE AFRICAN INMIGRANT

C

Canadian Bob

Hi Richard! It must have been rough having to grow up in jail (with your family!) Sorry, but I just couldn't resist a little humour in what is really a sad situation. The police are very selective whom they harass. They ask Dominicans for a few pesos much more often than they ask tourists. President Leonel is doing a lot to cut out corruption now by raising wages. A recent DR1 Daily News article noted a Police and Department of Justice raid on the San Cristobal jail when they confiscated a number of fridges, TVs, VCRs, tables, inverters, batteries and a bicycle in order to make the jail less comfortable for the inmates! I have only been stopped by police once, and he just needed some matches for his cigarettes! Smile & the world smiles with you! Canadian Bob.

R

Richard

My responce is not in total. It has been edited, why? I said nothing offensive. Please do not "edit" my reply, if you choose not to post it or censor it go ahead but do not take my reply out of it's context. This form of censorship even by the owner of the board is wrong. What was the reason I did not insult the person I was responding to? I would ask that my origonal post be placed on the board. Thank you.

E

Edgar

Thank you Canadian Bob. Your'e the only person that gave a straight and honest answer.

R

Richard

Sorry Bob but you replied to a post of mine that was edited by DR1 I assume. I do not know why as it was not offensive to anyone. Therefore, you may want to reconsider your message to me if DR1 ever reposts my original message.

>>Hi Richard! It must have been rough having to grow up in jail (with your family!) Sorry, but I just couldn't resist a little humour in what is really a sad situation. >The police are very selective whom they harass. They ask Dominicans for a few pesos much more often than they ask tourists.<<

This is very true, I know they stop motorists and get pay off of a few pesos. This stems from the low income these cops have, and the payoffs are minimum. I am not condoning the practice but I do understand it. On the other side of the coin, if you own a nice home and you pay the policeman who patrols the area I can guarantee that your home will be safe from robbery. I am not a tourist in the DR, I have family there and I stay in the residential areas most of the time. I have been traveling there for almost 10 years a couple of times per year. In addition, does the name Serpico ring any bells? NYC at one point had the worse police dept. in the country. Many people that criticize the DR forget that our own police force's is as bad maybe worse. Lets not forget the police in the southern states that were involved in lynching and harassment?s of black & Jewish Americans in the 30's, 40's, 50's, and 60?s. As the saying goes, those in glass houses should not throw stones.

S

Someone who knows

The police generally carry sidearm pistols. There are also lots of plain clothed police with pistols stuck in the pants. They extort money from the locals, and occassionally but rarely from tourists, although this is becoming less common. They are generally not into using unnecessary force. They treat hookers as good sources of extortion money. They do keep the peace and investigate major crimes. In fact, they tend to lock up every local in the area of a big crime, and often their families too, during investigations, often for days, even weeks.

I don't blame individual policeman, but I think the justice/police in the Dominican Republic have their priorities a little mixed up.

A couple nights ago, the police were busy arresting every other Dominican in sight for being in the tourist area at night. They were loading them up in the back of pickup trucks, 20 at a time. Sure, most of the locals were out to make a buck or get a free drink or sandwich, one way or another off a tourist, which is 90% of the draw of the nightlife in that area. If I wanted to hang out with a bunch of tourists I'd stay at an all-inclusive.

At the same time, there was a 6 year old boy, no shoes, dirty, curled up on the sidewalk on his side, kind of whimpering and trying to sleep. It was about 1am and the police were right out front. I walked over to the policeman driving the truck and pointed out the small boy and asked how he could drive by and ignore the situation and asked if he could do something about it. He just threw his hands up in the air and drove on down the street.

It seems to be a higher priority to go around arresting people who are not actually doing anything wrong or for "potential crimes", 95% of whom will be released in a day or so without being charged with anything yet have to pay a "fine" or spend even more time in jail, and putting the local businesses out of business, than it is to help a very small child left to cry and sleep in the gutter.

A crowd watched as all this happened. Eventually, a guy sellng flowers picked the child up and took him away, where, I do not know. A few locals commented that the police are not the friend of the local people. That night, the police were the terrorists.

So, what are the police about in the Dominican Republic? They are about protecting the interests of those in power. That includes protecting the tourists, which bring money to those in power. It also means doing what it can to extort money from the weak, oppressing the small businesses in favor of the big powerful all-inclusives, and forcing the morals of the church on the public. It means acting as judge, jury, and prosecutor on the spot.

Often crimes can still be bought out of, unless they become high profile. The police are unlikely to arbitrarily mess with anyone likely to have the money or connections to fight back, and that means that tourists and rich people are generally safe.

They do make the streets safe, but at the cost of individual rights (Cuba style).

R

Richard

You got it Ramon, I too live in NYC and I am a gringo married to a Dominicana. These peole need to wake up and see corruption here in the States can be worse than there.

J

Jim Hinsch

Be aware that if you put certain characters in your messages such as greater-than or less-than symbols, the software will interpret this as HTML and automatically remove or ignore it. I doubt your post was censored. It has happened to me many times.

Jim Hinsch JimHinsch@CSI.COM

R

Richard

That must be the reason and it makes a lot of sense, thanks Jim. In addition, my apologies to Robert for thinking I was edited.

Richard