info: on puerto plata village

Status
Not open for further replies.

foggy

Feb 3, 2004
hi folks
im going to dr in june for the first time. never having traveled long haul from scotland uk before. any info on the dolphin place or things i must see or do.i have been listening into other threads about going out and about. q. is train travel safe? cost of cigs in dr ? is drinking water safe from taps ? or any advice
ps i think this idea of bring things for kids schools is great and i will have a case full thanks

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Urrrmmmm.... welcome to DR1!

The answers to many of your questions can be found by doing a search. The dolphin info can be accessed by clicking on one of the advertising banners.

Train travel... there are basically two types of trains in the DR. One can be found in the Botanical Gardens and the Zoo in Santo Domingo, and is used to take visitors around the sites. In fact, they are not trains at all, as there are no tracks. Seem safe enough anyway. The second type of train can be found in the sugar plantations and is used to transport sugar cane to the processing plants. They don't take passengers unfortunately. There is one other type of train and can be bought in toy shops.

To answer your question in a more constructive way, the main inter-urban public transport system is the bus. There are several options, including Caribe Tours and Metro which are comfortable and inexpensive. As for safe... Dominican roads are not the safest in the world.

Cigs are much much much cheaper than in the UK, I don't know the exact price but if you divide what you pay there by FIVE you will not be far off.

Good luck!

Chiri

Dec 9, 2002
Hi Foggy

Where will you be staying in DR? Whatever you do, always always drink bottled water. Never drink from the taps, you will be ill for sure. Lots of people also only use bottled water for washing and cleaning teeth.

ValleyGirl

Feb 3, 2004
"To answer your question in a more constructive way, the main inter-urban public transport system is the bus. There are several options, including Caribe Tours and Metro which are comfortable and inexpensive. As for safe... Dominican roads are not the safest in the world."

What exactly is meant by the roads are not the safest in the world. Do you mean they are accident prone, which I have heard, or that the people make them unsafe? Actually I have heard both...

Valerie

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Yes, all of the above. Some roads better than others, some drivers better than others. To say the least.

Chiri

foggy

Feb 3, 2004
info

got the message about the trains .by the way that was 3 types not 2. anyway thanks for info. how about cost of a driver for the day .or cost to hire a jeep?

Status
Not open for further replies.