Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default US Accounts - FROZEN....

Any one that has a suggestion what to do with DR-dollars if you are not an American Citizen?? That is you do not have the necessary SSI-number to open a bank account?

PLEASE HELP save me my well deserved money that I have worked hard to get...

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

1) Keep them under your matress

2) Smuggle them out of the country by way of a trusty friend

3) Use them to buy areable land

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Just a thought.

I have no clue about this, but......

What I do know.

In the past, I have gotten Bank Certified American Express Check's, from Banco Popular.

These are not travelers check's.

But Bank Certified Checks, guaranteed by Amex.

What I don't know.

Go visit Citi-bank in Haiti and open an account with on-line access???????

I know they have offices there.
    I do not know what it would take to do this.

Just a thought.

Tim H.
    Last edited by Timex; 02-05-2004 at 08:26 AM.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Buy American Express Travel Checks. Safer than keeping cash.

Open an account with BPD International Bank in New York. This bank operates under the laws of New York State banking. You can open this account through their office at the Banco Popular Dominicano headquarters at JF Kennedy corner Máximo Gómez Avenue.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Dolores,

Can you do online banking through them?

Can you send USD checks to a US address and have them automatically deposited in your US account?

Very interesting solution..

Adrian

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

They do not offer online banking. Contact them directly for more information on deposits by mail. I would suppose this is possible as I understand it is common practice for banking in the US.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm interested too in open a dollar account in usa but have been impossible without a SSN. May be you can try with a broker instead of a bank, they seem to be more relaxed, but I haven't time now to look it.

you also can open an account in a european bank. In spain some big banks have online branches that offer dollar accounts with interesting conditions, the problem with these dollar accounts is that usually the interest is low and have some restrictions.

and what about canada? are like usa banks?

do the BPD offer a debit card with the account?

regards

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes they offer a debit card.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default SS Numbers

I do not know, but maybe an ITIN, Individual Tax Id Number, can be used in place of the SSN to open a bank account in the US. I THINK, don't know for sure, but mostly they are looking fo rthe number in order to claim interest paid on the accounts.

I thought the ITIN was set-up in order to collect taxes from foreign investors that did not live here or can not apply for a SSN.

There is an IRS office at the consulate, so maybe they can answer this question. Should be an easy question for them it is either yes or no.

Jerry

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Please do a SEARCH!

This issue has been absolutely discussed to death! We've even listed banks that have no problem opening US accounts for non-US citizens.

Quick repeat and I'm leaving:

No TIN, or SSN is required.Some banks don't know this and just have their own rules requiring them. Find one, explain, if they don't change move on to another.

Alba has opened US based bank accounts, with internet access, check cards, checks, credit cards and all. No TIN. No SSN. Just her happy face smiling from a copy of her Dominican cedula and/or passport. No more. Others here have to. Please don't barrage me with PM's asking where. Do your own research. Start with that little search button here on DR1.

Tom (aka XR)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast