US Accounts - FROZEN....

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Any one that has a suggestion what to do with DR-dollars if you are not an American Citizen?? That is you do not have the necessary SSI-number to open a bank account?

PLEASE HELP save me my well deserved money that I have worked hard to get...

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
Just a thought.

I have no clue about this, but......

What I do know.

In the past, I have gotten Bank Certified American Express Check's, from Banco Popular.

These are not travelers check's.

But Bank Certified Checks, guaranteed by Amex.

What I don't know.

Go visit Citi-bank in Haiti and open an account with on-line access???????

I know they have offices there.
I do not know what it would take to do this.

Just a thought.

Tim H.

Last edited:

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Buy American Express Travel Checks. Safer than keeping cash.

Open an account with BPD International Bank in New York. This bank operates under the laws of New York State banking. You can open this account through their office at the Banco Popular Dominicano headquarters at JF Kennedy corner M?ximo G?mez Avenue.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Hey Dolores,

Can you do online banking through them?

Can you send USD checks to a US address and have them automatically deposited in your US account?

Very interesting solution..

Adrian

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
They do not offer online banking. Contact them directly for more information on deposits by mail. I would suppose this is possible as I understand it is common practice for banking in the US.

claudius_2k

Apr 10, 2003
I'm interested too in open a dollar account in usa but have been impossible without a SSN. May be you can try with a broker instead of a bank, they seem to be more relaxed, but I haven't time now to look it.

you also can open an account in a european bank. In spain some big banks have online branches that offer dollar accounts with interesting conditions, the problem with these dollar accounts is that usually the interest is low and have some restrictions.

and what about canada? are like usa banks?

do the BPD offer a debit card with the account?

regards

Jerry

Jan 1, 2002
www.livinginsantiago.com
SS Numbers

I do not know, but maybe an ITIN, Individual Tax Id Number, can be used in place of the SSN to open a bank account in the US. I THINK, don't know for sure, but mostly they are looking fo rthe number in order to claim interest paid on the accounts.

I thought the ITIN was set-up in order to collect taxes from foreign investors that did not live here or can not apply for a SSN.

There is an IRS office at the consulate, so maybe they can answer this question. Should be an easy question for them it is either yes or no.

Jerry

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Please do a SEARCH!

This issue has been absolutely discussed to death! We've even listed banks that have no problem opening US accounts for non-US citizens.

Quick repeat and I'm leaving:

No TIN, or SSN is required.Some banks don't know this and just have their own rules requiring them. Find one, explain, if they don't change move on to another.

Alba has opened US based bank accounts, with internet access, check cards, checks, credit cards and all. No TIN. No SSN. Just her happy face smiling from a copy of her Dominican cedula and/or passport. No more. Others here have to. Please don't barrage me with PM's asking where. Do your own research. Start with that little search button here on DR1.

Tom (aka XR)

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
XanaduRanch - ever heard of the expression "things changes"... before it was very easy now it is not.

If you are tired (subjects discussed to death), why spend your time by answering?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I have opened a US account recently without a SSN, so have two of my friends.

It's not a requirement if the account holder fills out and signs a W8 form (I think that's the number).
Try http://ispbank.net (FDIC Insured)

A better choice if you live in the DR is the BPD.
http://bpdbank.com/

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
DR Mpe said:
XanaduRanch - ever heard of the expression "things changes"... before it was very easy now it is not. If you are tired (subjects discussed to death), why spend your time by answering?
I answer because I do not want to see people taking as fact misinformation or opinions spread by folks who 'think' something to be the case. By the way 'you're welcome'. Second it's sort of my job. See the name tag at left.

Things have not changed. We opened a new account in that way no more than a month ago.

The law is the same. No SSN or TIN is required by the US Government. Many banks mistakenly believe they can not open an account without one. The TIN/SSN is collected so that they can show the government should it ask that they can withhold interest payments until taxes are paid on the interest. What most don't bother to look at, because most depositors are American taxable entities, is that those numbers are specifically NOT required as long as the file on your account contains proof that you are NOT required to pay taxes as in the case of a non-US resident who's account funds are not generated in the U.S.

Got it?

You decide who you want to listen to, and good luck with that. Some here on the board have an agenda of bashing the U.S. claiming things that just aren't true in order to steer depositors to other countries for whatever silly little reason. Many here like I, and Robert, and others though have been there and done that in opening non-resident U.S. accounts and don't need to 'guess' about how it works.

If you're smart you'll pay attention.

Tom (aka XR)

P.S.
It's a W8-BEN, and you can get a copy here.

Last edited:

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
My husband and I have two joint accounts in the US. The last time I set foot in the US was in the year 2000, he was last there in 2001. Neither of us is a US citizen.

Following Rob and Dolores' advice we now have accounts at ISPBank and BPD. Both serve different purposes and were pretty much hassle-free to open (moreso at ISPBank).