gps navigation and maps?

Tomvangeffen

May 9, 2002
Hi,

Anybody know something about gps-maps of the DR?

Is it feasable to scan a large map of the dr, or buy a vectorized one and import it in a gps device?

Thanks.

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
I don't know, but Mapas Gaar are probably the best ones to ask. Their main office is on El Conde in Santo Domingo. It is hard to find though unless you know exactly where it is. I believe they do have some of maps digitized and available on CD.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Well, DUH!

lhtown said:
Mapas Gaar are probably the best ones to ask. Their main office is on El Conde in Santo Domingo. It is hard to find though unless you know exactly where it is.
Or had a GPS with proper maps. LOL.

Tom (aka XR)

Tomvangeffen

May 9, 2002
as a matter of fact.....

I've been there 5 years ago, and bought a "normal" map. next time I am in the DR i'll check again.Tom

lhtown

Jan 8, 2002
address and phone number for Mapas Gaar

Here is the address and phone number.

Mapas Gaar
El Conde esq. Espaillat Apto. 303
Tels. (809)688-8004
Fax (809)682-5274
Santo Domingo, Dom. Rep.
E-mail: mapas.gaar@codetel.net.do

Bolt

Jun 12, 2002
www.wireless-alarms.com
A GPS is very useful here as there are no zip codes so finding places is not easy. i take mine with me when im shown some where new for the first time perhaps a little PC repair store in the capital or that little tucked away beach i found 6 months ago so next time i need to get there on my own the GPS puts me within a yard of the front door!

Even for someone who has a GPS i can give them the cordinates of my appartment that has never been here before and they would otherwise spend half a day trying to find the place would find it within minutes.

How many posts have we seen on here giving directions to such a place when all we need to do is posts the GPS coordinates:)

Perhaps we can compile a directory of useful places for newcomers like the embassy, immigration, main hospitals etc using GPS coordinates so they are quick and easy to find?

Tomvangeffen

May 9, 2002
good idea

Obviously I can't help, being in the netherlands but.

making an "open source" gps point of interest map would be a good idea.
it could be a part of this site.
Format ideas?

Maybe a simple comma separated text-file would be good to begin with, because it can be imported in practically all programs?

Tom