Another company to leave the DR...Thanks Hippo!!!

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
According to the papers AES (Ede-Este) is selling out and leaving the country for good...Gives new meaning to the saying "The last one out, please turn off the lights..."
In the meantime our fearless leader has formed another commission of such illustrious personalities as Soto Jimenez (Did you see how one of the guys who suppossedly shot up his brother just got killed in a "Shootout" with police in Cotui?), Candelier, etc...to have a "talk" with AES and EGE-Haina to turn the power back on...while they continue to not pay for the power used by the government institutions...Great way to attract potential investors!!!

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
What is really interesting is how General Soto has decided to send 'military inspectors' to the power plants in order to carry out an investigation of the actual production condition of our power facilities.
This is how investors are kindly handed out their hat and shown the way out my friends.

Apr 26, 2002
Sounds like the "rebalaguerization"(TM Porfio_Rubirosa Enterprises 2004) of the country. I wonder if they'll be able to pull it off in the age of the "New World Order"(TM George H.W. Bush 1989) ?

Coming up next: You can have any refrigerator you want, as long as it's a Nedoca

Last edited:

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Porfirio:

What you are seeing is the Chopotization (or Crapotization) of the country.

I agree with the power plants that are shut down, I think those still on should shut down too. Leave the country in the dark a couple of weeks!!
I'd also like to see the complete drought of our fuel supplies. Lets all get back on a horse, regardless who looses his/her glamour riding one.

I say, lets all go back a couple of houndred years in progress. Its the least of what this country deserves after voting PRD.
Its the only way our people (who mostly suffer from a collective variety of ADD) will learn not to vote white again.

:angry:

Last edited:

An Evil

Aug 11, 2003
Forbes article, 4 hours old at time of posting
Along with shedding the distribution business in the Dominican Republic, AES plans to sell two merchant power plants in the United States, one in Texas and the other in New Hampshire, and a plant in Colombia. It also decided to terminate its Zeg construction project in Poland.

The Dominican Republic was once one of the best performing economies of the region. But the nation of nearly 9 million people that shares the island of Hispaniola with Haiti slipped into a deep economic slump following the Baninter's bankruptcy.
(emphasis in bold by me)
"once" was only 2-6 years ago.

As for the "scaring away" of AES, it looks like it had troubles of its own. Yesterday, the news regarding AES were such as this:

AES Corp., which produces electricity in 27 countries, posted its sixth loss in eight quarters after writing down the value of a Dominican Republic utility and power plants in Colombia, Texas and New Hampshire.

While I plan to vote agaisnt the PRD in May because of all its flaws, this morning's local newsblurb about AES isn't the kind that makes me raise my fist against Hip?lito. Privatisation of the energy industry has been a failure in the UK, then the US, and now Latin America. The distribution firms always end up with the short end of the stick, the generators bully the market.

If you think AES is leaving the country for good, check this quote from the Forbes article:

In a statement published in local newspapers, AES said it would hold onto its interests in power generation in the economically troubled Caribbean country, but called on the government to take immediate steps to shore up the industry.

AES is dropping the bones and keeping the meat. Just like it has happened in every other country in the last 10 years.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Another item

It was reported in today's press that EGE-Haina with a production capacity of 625 MW has sent all of its personnel home so that the military cannot bring force into play to restart power production. they are holding to the 46 MW level due to fuel restrictions.

In Santiago we are getting 14 hours of blackout, perhaps a bit more per 24 hours.

I found it interesting that in yesterday's cabinent meeting the "economic nightmare team" and the president (little "p", he does not deserve the big one), claimed that they didn't owe all that money to the IPPs. HAH! And the shame of it is that they believe their own lies....

Wanna be that nobody wants to take up AES offer to sell?

I have a few things to sell, too: the Brooklyn Bridge, for starters...

HB

DCfred

Jun 19, 2003
Dominican Boat People Overtake Haitians

Not to mention that today the AP reports that Dominican boat people have overtaken the Haitians in numbers. Gosh, Hippo has really managed to do the impossible.

samiam

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Re: Dominican Boat People Overtake Haitians

DCfred said:
Not to mention that today the AP reports that Dominican boat people have overtaken the Haitians in numbers. Gosh, Hippo has really managed to do the impossible.

I think the month of january saw more people traveling in Yolas than during the whole 2003...wonder whos making money out of that...apart from the guys that produce the boats.

Re.: AES, there is a very interesting documentary about them in Georgia. It is amnazing how its so similar to the DR!!
Its the same story all over the world. Lets take the distribution which no one wants. Let us install generating power plants to bring down our O&M Costs. Once we install/Recondition old power plants, lets sell out and stay with the generation facilities!!
Thats what happens when idiots separate generation and distribution (it happened here to the PLD idiots too)

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
An Evil said:

While I plan to vote agaisnt the PRD in May because of all its flaws, this morning's local newsblurb about AES isn't the kind that makes me raise my fist against Hip?lito.

Evil: You're right in your assessment of AES's troubles. The point I was trying to make though is that this is no way to attract potential investors, which is what the DR needs more desperately right now. They've already scared investors away with their handling of the economy. Sending a bunch of goons to force AES to turn on their power is not going to help the situation at all...How about honoring their debts with AES? Believe me I don't particulary care much for companies like AES, Fenosa, etc...they got those contracts via corruption anyway, but now that they are there the government should honor its end of the deal.

I also believe that the only reason why privatization didn't work in the DR is because it was done half assed...The government should not be involved and should not own any shares in these companies. It's role should be to provide the legal framework and make sure the laws and rules are followed. They also should pay for the power they use. For a success story just look at what a private company is doing in the Bavaro area, where they have power 24/7. I say let this company do the same for the whole country. That will never happen though, as there are too many powerful people making a lot of money from this crisis.

In the end, who knows what will happen? Will anybody buy out these shares? I doubt it. Maybe Hippo will buy them back, just like he did with Fenosa...

An Evil

Aug 11, 2003
Suarezn, we seem to be on the same page so far. Some points to expand:

-The mixed ownership was, to me, a two-way street. I think the private investors profitted in a weird way from becoming partners with the government. If the shares had gone 100% to the private sector, then the government would have been cleared of all problems. The incoming companies would have had to face the huge amount of non-paying customers (30% to 60%, according to various sources). Instead, by keeping the government in the loop, they get subsidies and a lot of political clout that helped overcome some obstacles. The government, in turn, kept a source of income, and some decision making capabilities that are handy when you negotiate deals for new infrastructure (politics are everywhere). For example: AES is selling its distribution. I bet this government is going to be stupid enough to buy the shares. How about if the government had sold its shares first? Then AES would be a bankrupt company, but then again, it's bankrupting all over the world. The government should not, under any circumstance, buy that half from AES. Let AES run around the world for some buyer. Give the israelis a chance "to fix this problem in 6 months".

-Half-assed privatisation wasn't the only thing that killed it for us in DR. Like samian says, this scheme was applied in many countries. This island is too small to recreate "Free market" schemes. If a chunk of land as big California suffered oligopolistic tactics by the generators, where does that leave us? While I am not opposed to the idea of privatising said industries, the schemes fail in advanced and developing countries alike.

-If I remember correctly, the B?varo company runs its grid, and there is no pool of generation. Ironically, and much like the case of Codetel until the 80s, monopolies can offer good services (although Codetel shysted this country in long distance fees until Tricom showed up). The answer in this riddle does not lie in the government, nor the laws. In that article I read over a year ago, the B?varo company boasted of collecting 99% of its debts. That's why Codetel offered good quality for over 70 years, while CDE was in the mud. I have come to take pride in the fact that I don't steal energy, bribe officials, rig my power meter, or tap into the house of a General for power. I pay my bills, and I don't contribute to a ruinous industry by stealing a share. It's a grain of sand, but it counts. If the electric bill rises high enough to orbit the Earth, alternative energy will automatically become viable and I'll move on to a cleaner source of energy, by *force*.

-I agree that the government should honor whatever debts it has with private investors. However, as I said above, honoring private debts isn't the same as bailing investors out. The government should not buy AES share, because the real buyer is the State. The part of the State that *I* own should not have to carry the burden belonging to those who don't pay their bills, or who benefitted from fraudulent sales. If AES is in a hurry to sell its shares, they can sell them at rock-bottom prices, or try their luck in the world-market. All I hope is that after such a thing happens, the goverment starts to show the same will-power towards its citizens that contributed in making this problem. This is a key issue for me: The government is just the face of all of us. If we keep running our industry into the ground, and if our government contains corrupt members who make it harder for us, then all of us suffer. Of course this would never happen with phone services, because you can cut a person's service from the Central switches, while electricity runs like water through the lines. It's not an addressed signal.