Article on infant with 2 heads being operated on today in SD

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
CNN also has been doing a feature on it on TV. Very interesting. Imagine the shock of a new mother and father when getting their first look at their new two-headed baby.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Good news so far. The other story, about heart ops, was covered in Thursday and Friday's DR1 news.

BTW this is this morning's lead story on the BBC news site. Should we be surprised that the crumbling of the economy and a democracy under threat hardly makes a ripple anywhere, but one unfortunate Dominican baby makes international headlines?

Chiri

pasha

Sep 4, 2003
Sad, but that's the way.....

Chirimoya said:
Good news so far. BTW this is this morning's lead story on the BBC news site. Should we be surprised that the crumbling of the economy and a democracy under threat hardly makes a ripple anywhere, but one unfortunate Dominican baby makes international headlines? Chiri
the human mind works.....remember the earthquake? Nothing about the DR ever showed up, but Iran got endless coverage because so many people were killed.

The whole world is galvanized by two-headed baby stories; or when some poor little girl's kidnapping is captured on a video cam; or, when some drop dead gorgeous wife is carved up and shoved in a barrel. Guarantee you that if Ms Peterson had had a large wart on her nose, a noticible moustache and was 100 pounds overweight, nobody would've given a second glance at what happened. Other than the police that is.

baby diied

baby died this morning during the removal
18 surgeons, nurses and doctors had taken several rotations to cut off the undeveloped tissue, clip the veins and arteries, and close the skull using a bone and skin graft from the second head.
incredible

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Very sad. I feel remorse for the cynicism I expressed earlier.

RIP little Rebeca

Chiri

Dec 9, 2002
Very sad indeed

but they had to try to do it. Could you imagine, even if the child could have lived without having the op, growing up through childhood like that? I feel for the parents, they must be distraught.

mainer

Mar 22, 2002
My heart goes out to the parents

But, this does give a positive reflection on medical care in the Dominican Republic. Even though the head nuerosurgeon was from the US, I think it says a lot that the surgery was performed in Santo Domingo.

simpson Homer

Bronze
Nov 14, 2003
Im confuse

Sancocho,

What's up buddy!

I was reading this web and they said that she is alive when does she died?

http://www.listindiario.com/cuerpos/republica/rep1.htm

sancochojoe said:
baby died this morning during the removal
18 surgeons, nurses and doctors had taken several rotations to cut off the undeveloped tissue, clip the veins and arteries, and close the skull using a bone and skin graft from the second head.
incredible