ATMs refuse debit card

strasser3133

Nov 21, 2003
About three days ago, I received a new debit card from my bank (Bank One) in the US. I immediately acitvated it and was able to pay for purchases in the local supermarket. I then got a cash advance from BHD. When I tried to use it at the ATMs at BHD, BP and Progresso I was told that "card is not valid". I have tried several times and was not successful to obtain cash from the ATMs. Can anyone share with me what they think the problem might be? Thanks

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
Maybe!

Call the toll free number on your card and see if it has been locked for Security Purposes.

Some-time when they see allot of new, out of the country activity, this happens, and all they want is a call from you, to make sure, that you have the card.

Also, watch the ATM's you use, I am allowed up to $1000. U.S. dollars @ day. But if I use a limited ATM(Banco Popular, in front of the Refinery) I have to make Four, $5000. pesos withdrawal's and the card is locked here by the banking system for 24 hours.

Its happened a couple of times, CitiBank tells me it's not them, My brother In-law at BPD explained it to me.

But use it in a gringo area of CitiBank ATM, SD, and I can get it all I want. Should seen me yesterday taking $49,000. pesos from the machine.

Oh Yeah, if your toll free # is 1-800-XXX-XXXX
Just dial 1-880-XXX-XXXX, and you pay 10pesos a minute I think.

Hope that helps.

Tim H.

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
This happened to us once too. It could be the security lock, like Tim said.

I don't know why ours didn't work; but we just took the card into the bank, they swiped it on their reader, and it worked.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
We don't use cards in Sosua, but when my wife goes to Santo Domingo she does. She reports our debit card doesn't work in the remote ATM's she's tried but does work in the ATM in a lobby of a bank.