Planning to move to DR and a few questions

--MARIAN--

Feb 6, 2004
Hello :)

I'm planning to move to DR in a few months and have started to collect information from various sources (mainly from Internet).

I found this site and it looks like the best one (source) I have found so far :)

I was wondering if you can spare a few minutes and answer a few of my questions that are still unanswered. Thanks in advance.

OK, here we go...

1) I am looking to rent either an apartment or a small villa. Can I get a furnished/ airconditioned one, with real 24h electricity and a few more extras (like a pool - if a house) for $1,000-1,200 a month? Extras are not a must. I care much more about electricity and airconditioning.

2) If I found such a place for living (for that price), which town/ province/ area would you recommend?

3) I need a fast and reliable internet connection - cable, DSL, ISDN, ADSL - whatever as long as I have at least 384 kbps downloads. Is such internet access possible in all areas? If not, where can I get it for sure?

Once again, thanks in advance for all answers.

Marian

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If you must have 384 kbps downloads, then that will probably be what determines where you live. I have DSL in Sosua, but am not getting 384 kbps downloads.

--MARIAN--

Feb 6, 2004
Ken said:
If you must have 384 kbps downloads, then that will probably be what determines where you live. I have DSL in Sosua, but am not getting 384 kbps downloads.

Thanks for the answer :)

Well, it's not cast in stone (although I really need a good speed).

How much do you get in Sosua?

Englishman

Nov 5, 2003
Hi Marian,

I was trying to understand your questions, but I found them too generic...have you ever been here? I guess you have, but your questions doesn't reflect that.
I live in Santo Domingo...big town but not so big for you, maybe. Traffic jams, poor respect for traffic rules (try to hit Isabela Aguiar Avenue, something I have to do daily, ...), heavy rains which gets street and avenues like rivers, sometimes, police officers and thieves which mix themselves and you don't know who is who...but also some nice people, especially women which are so sweet in the way they talk, walk and act in every moment of their day, but also good chances of having fun, letting you go and, after a few months of getting desperate because you rented a $1000 with a 24 hours energy and...it didn't work! never. And the pool is dirty and the car you bought is not ******* working or, more oftern, it falls apart after your fifth time of hitting a big hole in the street which was not supposed to be there...then it comes a point that you, well, you ACCEPT it all as a part of living here, or simply leave.
Sorry to be so inconsistent with my answer, but today I feel like that.
Give me some more details and I'll try to help you.
Bye

--MARIAN--

Feb 6, 2004
Ken said:
It varies. When I saw your question, I tested my internet connection speed at http://us.mcafee.com/root/genericUR...genericLeftNav=/en-us/wrapper/catalog_nav.asp

Today the report was 287.76 kbps. That is not guaranteed. I'd say today was one of the good ones.

To get DSL in Sosua, or any place, you need to be located within a certain distance of the originating point. Not everyplace in Sosua area gets DSL.

I see. Well, can you help me with some of the other questions as well? I'd be really thankful :)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
After writing above, I went here for another test http://www.dslreports.com/stest The report was 300 kbps download and 204 upload.

I'll have to test more often. Codetel did announce some speed improvements recently, so I may be getting a better speed than I thought, based on earlier tests.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Re apartment, if you are interested in Sosua, look for posts by Escott and alanindr and contact them. Both have rental apartments in the complex where I live. We have 24 hour electricity and a pool. The complex is within the DSL range.

When you find one of their posts, click on the PM or email button underneath and send them a message.

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
Many of the DR1ers own/vacation on the North Coast (Puerta Plata/Sosua/Cabarete). I'm sure you'll get many PMs offering assistance.

I've PMd you suggesting the neighborhood we own a villa in.

Go to the orange button above named "User CP" for reading private messages.