Dominicanos y Latino Party in London

AnnaDR

Dec 2, 2003
Dominicanos y Latino Party in London, UK

Hi All,

I am organizing a party in London to celebrate the Dominican Republic's Independence day on the 27th of February, 2004. The party will be held in "El Barco Latino'. Entrance will be free until 10 pm.

If you are interested in attending and would like more information, please send an e-mail to: dominicans_in_london@hotmail.com.

Hope to see there!!!

Anna
member of 'Dominicans in London' since Feb 2004

Last edited:

Fran31

Jan 15, 2004
Fiesta Dominicana in London UK

Hi there
I've never met any Dominicano in London before .. is there any significant community over here?
Gracias

Fran31

Jan 15, 2004
Dominicanos in London

Ok Chiri
That's nice to know. The Colombians and Ecuadorians took over the city a few years ago .. its nice to know that the Spanish speaking community here is so varied... I'll look out for them and see if I can make it to the Barco Latino (this place is a bit run down but it will be worthwhile checking out the Dominicanos!)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Yes, I noticed the Latin American presence growing in the 90s, and there was even a newspaper, quite a good one, which I used to pick up on the tube when I was in London. I was told that the sheer number of Colombians in the city is reflected by the fact that they have a whole football league of their own...

Barco Latino still going, I see. What about the Loughborough in Brixton?

Chiri

AnnaDR

Dec 2, 2003
Hi Everyone,

A Dominican friend of mine from NY helped me put up the ?Dominicanos Y Latino Fiesta en Londres? promotion flyer on the web. Check it out: http://dominicansinlondon.tripod.com

Details of the event are provided on this flyer. From this web page you will be able to print out the flyer and also send an e-mail to ?dominicans_in_london@hotmail.com? to make reservations, if desired. Note: Although reservation is not required, it would be really helpful if people would send an e-mail to reserve so that we can get an idea of how many people we are expecting.

To update everyone on my party promoting activities, I?ve sent an invitation to the ?Dominican Republic Embassy? and the ?Dominican Republic Tourist Board?. We are also expecting to have some Dominicans from LSE (London School of Economics) coming to the party.

El Barco Latino has a lovely view of the river Thames and is the one place I know in London that plays merenge and bachata.

I expect the party to be lots of fun!!!

Fran31

Jan 15, 2004
Pachanga Dominicana in London

Hey Chiri

The latin community in London grew in a short period of time...until the government imposed Visa requirements for most Latin countries. The Barco is still there as well as the Loughborough Hotel in Brixton... competing with El Bar Lorca just around the corner.

Anna, I've just downloaded the flyer. Cool !!! I'll try to make it... I am off to DR on the 29th so the party will just put me in the mood for a Bachata rally!!

Nos Vemos !

Formosano2000

Mar 5, 2003
Lse !

AnnaDR said:
To update everyone on my party promoting activities, I’ve sent an invitation to the ‘Dominican Republic Embassy’ and the ‘Dominican Republic Tourist Board’. We are also expecting to have some Dominicans from LSE (London School of Economics) coming to the party.

As a LSE alumni (got my master's there in 1998) living in DR, I'm thrilled to know there are Dominicans studying there. I never met any while there.

Are there other LSE alumni (regardless of nationality) working and living in DR ? Would love to know.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Oh I love the flyer!! Im soooo far away from there!!

To Fran31 - yes, dominicans are all over Europe "Cojiendo Brisa" :eek: :lick:

AnnaDR

Dec 2, 2003
Formosano,

I will ask the LSE students coming to the party about your question and will let you know what they say. They might be interested in getting in touch with you.

AnnaDR

Dec 2, 2003
Hi All,

This is a reminder that the ?Dominicanos y Latinos Fiesta en Londres? is this Friday, 27th of February, 2004.

We will be at the club from 7pm onwards having a few drinks and some appetizers. However, the hard core ?merenge y bachata? will only start after 9pm. If you would like to reserve a table, please let me know by Tuesday, February 24th, and I will try to reserve one for you.

For directions to El Barco Latino click on: http://www.elbarcolatino.co.uk/directions.htm

To see the party flyer click on: http://dominicansinlondon.tripod.com

See you all there!!!

Anna Maria

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Formosano2000

Yes, I'm another LSE alumnus (1966) living in the DR. Used to get the AS journals until fairly recently. This is Ginnie, the female 1/2 of Bushbaby.
Ginnie

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
BushBaby said:
Yes, I'm another LSE alumnus (1966) living in the DR. Used to get the AS journals until fairly recently. This is Ginnie, the female 1/2 of Bushbaby.
Ginnie

Yeah ..... She's the interlectual one!!! I am told I have some attributes that make me amenable to others, but we haven't been able to put our fingers on just what they are yet!! :confused:

Anna - Don't forget to post some photos of the BASH in London!! You may get some Brit Ex-Pats (Now living out here) coming to the 'DO', so be sure to give us the lowdown on how they behave. We can then extort money from them as Bribes when they get back here!!

Have a FUN time - Grahame.

Bobs

Jan 8, 2002
Que pena !

Pffeww !! Mr G., for a moment there I thought I'd missed a chance to see you partying in London.
Too bad I can't make it to that fiesta tomorrow.
Que disfruten !

Freemo

May 26, 2003
Thanks for a wonderful night

Anna

Thanks so much for organising the Dominican party at El Barco Latino. Ana and I loved the atmosphere so much it was like a 'Little Dominicana'. Quite extraordinary really. It's so long since I was last in the DR that I almost forgot how much Dominicans love dancing. Everyone was spirited away from the zero degrees of London to somewhere exciting and warm. Even the Dominican Embassador made an appearance, what an honour. He was a typical Dominicano, Don Juan eat your heart out, the first thing he asked my wife, with a hurt look on his face, was why she had never visited his embassy when she had been in the UK for 8 yrs. Anyway what a great night, makes me home-sick for the DR though. Thanks again. Paul

AnnaDR

Dec 2, 2003
Update on DR Party in London

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the late update on the DR party in London but I've been really busy trying to study.... in anycase..here is load down...

The party was really good. We had 20+ Dominicans and quite a few other Latinos and Latin music lovers attend the party...the place was packed. We indeed had our distinguished DR ambassador, Rafael Ludovino Fernandez and his wife attend the party, which was totally cool. Everyone was very pleased to meet each other and since then a couple of sancochos have been made and I have finally found where to buy platanos and yuca in this country. :classic:

I do have some pictures of the event. I must apologize for not taking pictures of everyone who attended, but I was so busy dancing and talking that I forgot about my picture taking duties. To see pictures of the DR party click on: DR Party in London Photos

I would also like to remind everyone that we will definitely repeat this event next year, or a similar event much sooner (when I have some time free to plan it), so if anyone else is interested in being informed about any other DR social gatherings, please send an e-mail to ?dominicans_in_london@hotmail.com? so that I can include you in my mailing list.

Anna Maria