Any opinions on cell phone boosters?

dale7

Apr 18, 2002
www.stores.ebay.com
Wow, new look to the board. Here is my question: Reception in the Santiago province is spotty/with breaking up, etc and I have recently purchased 5 cell phone boosters, Gen 2 brand or something like that, and am sending them there next week. Believe it or not, I have never owned a cell phone and don't plan too but do these really help? I call a couple of times a week to talk with baby's mom and hear my little boy make noises and she only has a cell phone:) Inside the home, there is almost no reception at all and she has to walk outside and go up the hill about 50 meters for decent reception and when it is raining, that is a problem. I guess you take the cell phone battery out, put the booster in, put the battery back in and that is all. Do these work, are they really helpful, or did I just purchase something stupid?
dale7(Howard)

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
dale7 said:
Wow, new look to the board. Here is my question: Reception in the Santiago province is spotty/with breaking up, etc and I have recently purchased 5 cell phone boosters, Gen 2 brand or something like that, and am sending them there next week. Believe it or not, I have never owned a cell phone and don't plan too but do these really help? I call a couple of times a week to talk with baby's mom and hear my little boy make noises and she only has a cell phone:) Inside the home, there is almost no reception at all and she has to walk outside and go up the hill about 50 meters for decent reception and when it is raining, that is a problem. I guess you take the cell phone battery out, put the booster in, put the battery back in and that is all. Do these work, are they really helpful, or did I just purchase something stupid?
dale7(Howard)
those are silly and wont help. What could a sticker under a battery possibly do anyway?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I put one on my motorola v60i as it had spotty reception here on Vancouver island(it was on sale for $6) and it improve reception by 1 bar and seems to be a little better. Will it work there i don't know, suppose to be like having a 4 ft antenna.

dale7

Apr 18, 2002
www.stores.ebay.com
Oh well, I will send anyways and see if it makes just a little bit of difference. Only cost around 4.50US for 5 of them, with shipping costs only a 10US investment by the time I send them to here, got them at what seemed to be a very cheap price and by the chance it will boost one bar, and improve static/breakup a little, worth the investment to me. Overall it looks like I bought a foolish product at this time but that is life, win some, lose some. I will report back in when she tries them out.
dale7(Howard)

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
dale7 said:
Oh well, I will send anyways and see if it makes just a little bit of difference. Only cost around 4.50US for 5 of them, with shipping costs only a 10US investment by the time I send them to here, got them at what seemed to be a very cheap price and by the chance it will boost one bar, and improve static/breakup a little, worth the investment to me. Overall it looks like I bought a foolish product at this time but that is life, win some, lose some. I will report back in when she tries them out.
dale7(Howard)

I want you to read this article before you spend your hard earned cash!

http://cellantenna.com/internal_cell_phone_antenna.htm

dale7

Apr 18, 2002
www.stores.ebay.com
Thanks Erixxson and others,
I did some websearching and after all the companies selling them managed to find a few consumer report articles. I was taken because she was suggesting an atennae for the home for better reception and compared prices and said, well I'll give this a shot. Only two studies I found done independently over a few months, before and after the internal booster said very little gain and at most roughly 1 bar or less, because they are supposed to capture stray radiation,etc and improve the signal strength but and the claims of being similar to having a 4 foot antennae are false in all reports. Most reports I read actually said under independent scientific studies, all came back with no improvement at all. I looked earlier on the web but all I saw were these sites advertising the product and got tired of surfing. Well it looks like I will let her take care of it at her end but I have to send a birthday card and photos so I will send them along anyway, maybe she can try one and sell the rest:) I just didn't want to spend 100US or so for an antennae for the house when for a few dollars I purchased something that I thought I could save money on in the process. I have never owned a cell phone so I don't know anything about them.
dale7(Howard)

Last edited: