newbie responds to FAQ's

bcmike

Jan 29, 2004
Greetings all.

As a newbie here, and an increasingly frequent visitor to "The Dominican", I would like to relay my feelings about the FAQ issue. Newbies (like me) are VERY unsure as to whether they are really welcome to post on a subject. We usually don't have a great deal of knowledge on DR subjects, so we have no choice but to ask questions.

For instance, I posted on the last night of the strike, asking , probably too vaguely, if most of the members were in the north. What I was wondering was whether the south was having similar experiences that the north was having. I got a rather terse reply that "you should have started a new thread, as the strike ended yesterday." (or to that effect).

We newbies don't KNOW when to start a new thread..after 12 hours? 3 days? We are usually very new to a forum style of communication. Many people find this site via a link, and may not be aware how extensive the info base is at first. I'm slowly learning how to really use this forum, and it is wonderful, but intimidating too.

My perspective.Thanks.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Hi bcmike,

Greetings from Nova Scotia.

Welcome to DR1!

Many newbies lurk for a while (some for a long time) until they get the sense of the board - some jump right in. Either way you usually reap what you sow. If you search the archives to find the answers to oft asked questions you are less likely to raise the ire of some frequent posters who understandably tire at seeing the same unresearched questions week after week after week from some starry eyed newbie who has fallen in love with the country or a Dominican after a whopping seven day AI experience in "the Dominican", as you call it.

This brings me to a rersearchable irritant for some of us here at DR1. There is NO COUNTRY on earth called "the DOMINICAN". The name of the country is the Dominican Republic which may be shortened to the DR or D.R. or if you prefer "La Republica". The people who inhabit the country are "the Dominicans" not the country.

Anyway, once again, welcome and once you get the hang of it there is no better source of raw or specific information about the DR than the "intimidating" posters here ar DR1.

Some are even really nice people and after my annual two week trek to paradise in April I hope to be able to speak from experience about many more of them - not just the few I met last year.

Good luck and try not to be put off by minor issues. DR1 is worth the effort.

Gregg

appleman

Dec 18, 2003
Welcome bcmike!

I'm a relative newbie too, and like you I felt a little intimidated about posting. But I found that if you search first and ask questions second, you will eliminate most of the reasons for getting "terse" replies.

A lot of the replies come back to you in the way the reader viewed your question or post. For instance, I thought you were using the term "The Dominican" as a tongue in cheek reference to the DR since you had already done some research and had found that using "the Dominican" as the name of the country is something that draws the ire of regulars here-with good reason, as fireguy pointed out. But fireguy took your usage as a straight reference to the DR and proceeded to instruct you on why you should not use that term. So don't be too put off by some replies, since they may have been taken in the wrong context by the reader.

As for starting new threads. I too have a problem knowing when and when not to do that. In my opinion, it isn't a time issue, it is a subject issue. Even a question about a similar subject should be reason to start a new thread rather than taking the existing thread in a different direction. (I may be wrong here, but maybe someone can enlighten us both if I am).

As you read and post on DR1 you will get more familiar with the posting ettiquette and won't feel so intimidated. DR1 is a great resource and DR1 posters are great people. Welcome to the board.

Bob H.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
appleman said:
Even a question about a similar subject should be reason to start a new thread rather than taking the existing thread in a different direction. (I may be wrong here, but maybe someone can enlighten us both if I am).

You are 100% right on that, Bob. The poster who starts the thread establishes the subject of that thread and is entitled to not be trampled on or hijacked. If the reader has a question on something that is not directly related to the topic that started the thread then a new thread should be started with that question.

bcmike

Jan 29, 2004
Thank you for the warm greetings.

Appleman, you were right about my "Dominican" refer. I had read that entire thread, as well as countless other threads all across this great forum.

I think that the "Kiddie pool" might be a great idea for newbies who just need a quick response to what is a simple question here, but important for them. Perhaps the pool can be an area for such questions, and one where other newbies can post a reply from their experiences. That way, everyone feels as if they can contribute, keeping the Forum relevant to them, without cluttering up the main board.

As far as thicker skin, speaking as a newbie, I don't feel that it should be necessary that in posting a question or opinion (excepting ones that are racist,sexist,etc etc), that one might need to expect a flaming at first. As some understanding between posters grows,then I'm all for it, It certainly livens up the subject matter. But until then , I see it as the difference between ousted y tu. I have read some amazingly funny exchanges between long timers, and seen aome rather discomforting blasts at newbies, which ultimately will drive them off the forum, and make others reconsider participating.

Last edited:

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
btw,

its the Dominican Republic not " The Dominican"

welcome

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
You expect to come into a conversation between people, most of whom know each other, and do things however you want?

What would you do at a cocktail party? Assuming you have some social graces, you'd listen for a while, gain an understanding of the dynamics of what is going on, THEN start to talk when appropriate.

If you just butt in and spill your drink all over us, don't be surprised at the responses you get.

bcmike

Jan 29, 2004
adrianb,

Thank you so much for your vitriole. I'm already getting the BS responses I see around the forum. Take the damn thing private if you don't want anyone else participating here.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
We definitely do want you here. But we want you to make an effort to understand how the community works. Otherwise you'll continue to experience those kinds of responses.

Some people don't get over that hump. They post for a while, get flamed a lot and then move on. Its how internet communication works.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
So I don't get it. Other than being told it's called The Dominican Republic or as we lazy people call it "DR" I see no other flames here.
Are you related to Ringo? He had the same complaint and there were no flames there either.

So now. What was your question again?

bcmike

Jan 29, 2004
Thank you, and I can appreciate that.

The problem is the new people are significantly behind the curve in the community, and will probably never catch up to the main pack. What you may see is a defacto berlin wall in postings, oldtimers with old , newtimers with new. Not very healthy, IMHO.

In the cocktail party analogy, one would assume that the new person is an equal on some levels, and would have some relevant point to add. I would think that most newbies are more like the party goers children, very curious and anxious to understand what the grownups are talking about. Occasionally , at appropriate times , we include those kids in the conversation, and the kids leave the conversation happy, and there is little disruption to the adults exchange. Same here, I would hope.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Ok now we'll really screw up this thread. I got my computer expect guy to come over yesterday to figure it out and he tried every thing to make the whole message board appear bigger but could not! I accidently found a testing of this format in googles one day but it was all the size that I'm used to :rolleyes: ( no comments please). Where's that Russian and can he fix it Robert?

bcmike

Jan 29, 2004
Anna,

I didn't HAVE a question. I KNOW it's the Dominican Republic. It was a friggin' joke. Jesus, I read hundreds of posts a week if not more. It is this anal mentality , that I think Ringo was referring to, albeit painfully slowly,that the forum has this "ownership" of the DR. This thread is a perfect example.

I posted my opinions about the FAQ's and how to improve the situation, and got a lecture on "The Dominican", thin skin, and general conversational manners. And actually ,as a newbie, I could see where Ringo was trying to go. And I think a lot of potential newbies do as well, if they read a lot of the threads.

Last edited:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
;) Hey look at the bright side, at least we're not totally ignoring what you have written. It's a slow day!

Ok I'll say it. Welcome to DR1. Ask a question when you need to know something. Join in if you have a sense of humour and don't worry if no one comments on your post. :paranoid:

bcmike

Jan 29, 2004
Anna,
:ermm: I'll take that as a compliment! Won't worry about a lack of comments, I get that same reaction when I talk with people.

Certainly has been fun thus far!

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Ahh, the DR1 Cocktail party analogy. Hmm. You do well if you a: provide a stimulating conversation starter or b: are beautiful. I remember Timex's first post--I think it's a sticky now, and he's a forum moderator. In fact, almost everyone who has moved there from abroad is on the DR1 "A-list" simply for the wealth of information and experience they provide. It's a service, really.

As for beautiful--well, have you ever seen Escott? Seriously, the "beautiful" people are the visitors to DR1 and the Dominican Republic. They understand that they are a guest in a different culture. These are the ones who take the ups with the downs and keep their sense of humor. No ugly Americans or any other nationality need apply.

Another good "in" at a cocktail party--bring a gift or at least compliment the person you start talking to first. Try: "Great site. New here. Searched the archives. Need more info on..."

You don't fare so well if you are boorish or get drunk too fast at a cocktail party.... We've had people make a gazillion posts (drunk too fast...), start insulting people or the atmosphere (boor!). I won't name names but I've observed it happen in the past two years I've been registered. Let's just say if you play by your own rules in Georgia with goats, you're unlucky around here.

Welcome to DR1. Drinks are on Escott, as well. What a guy.