Programer Jobs in DR

TheOne

Feb 8, 2004
Hey everyone I'm new to the site. :classic: :classic: .
I'm Dominican

I have a BS in Computer Science. I would like to know if this is a career field in which I can get a goog job in The Dominican Republic.

I'm also planning to go back and live there in less than a year. I was born there and came to the US at the age of 13, right now I'm 21 years old and go every year on vacations. Thank you before hand for your help :classic: :classic:

Timex

Bronze
May 9, 2002
Hola TheOne!!!!!!

DR1 has---
Threads: 27,286, Posts: 178,990, Members: 6,083
Welcome to our newest member, alfredos22

Do your homework (Search, Search, and Search again!)
Ask your questions.
And Good Luck!

A Good Place to Start.
Popular Post's / Past Sticky's. Required reading for Newbies!!! NEW! NEW! NEW!

With Topics Like.....
MEDICAL / MONEY / ADVICE
MOVING TO THE DR
* WORKING IN THE DR / AND WORK RESOURCES.*
*ENGLISH / SPANISH PHRASE GUIDE.*
And more!!!!

TheOne, don't forget to check out WORKING IN THE DR / AND WORK RESOURCES, on that page
Come on, tell us more about your-self!!!!!

By the way---
Welcome to DR1!!! :cool::cool::cool::cool:

Thanks
Tim H.

Help, and be Helped.
That?s why were here!!!

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Welcome!

TheOne said:
I have a BS in Computer Science. I would like to know if this is a career field in which I can get a good job in The Dominican Republic.
What's a 'good' job for you in terms of salary, benefits. In what part of the island would you like to live?

Tom aka XR

TheOne

Feb 8, 2004
A "good" job for me would have medical benefits, good salary.
I'm planning to live in Santo Domingo

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
TheOne said:

What would you consider a "good salary"?

Johy

Sep 15, 2003
www.worldisround.com
TheOne said:

What is a good salary for you?? Is hard to find a job nowadays at DR, my brother and Sister in Law both have a BS in Computer Science, and the salary isn't great and with the exchange rate right now, is nothing, and they both work in different companies, both of them are good.

You'll be very very lucky if you find a job that you can earn US$ 1000 a month. Besides do you have previous work experience? It will be easier if you have.

I'm in the same position as you, I'm in USA doing a Master degree, I came in August of 2003 and planning to go back on August 2004, I'm realistic that I'll have to wait a couple of months before I can find a job, but I'm sure I'll find one, probably not as well payed as in the USA but will be fine to start.

I hope you have family to help you out here at the beginning or a good amount of money to start.

Good luck,

Johy

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
For people with good LAMP (linux, Apache, mysql, php) skills who want to move to Santiago, and are looking for work they can contact me.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
TheOne said:

Sorry to tell you this, but programmers are a dime a dozen.
I can get amazing programmers full time for around US$2-300 monthly.
They might live in Russia or India, but these days it's not an issue.
I currently employ a Russian guy full-time.

In the DR you will be looking at RD$15-25,000 (US$300-500) per month.
I have yet to find a local programmer that comes close to what I can source from Russia or India.

If you serious about programming, I really think you?re looking at the wrong country.

If you have lived here and have family here, I suggest you milk your contacts as much as possible, you never know your luck.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Just Change Your Business Plan

If you're a programmer, then location isn't important. But, you have to change your model. You can't expect IMO to land a job with a company here, with benefits, for anything close to what you might need to really support yourself or your expectations. But who says you have to work for a company exlusively?

If you're smart spend a little extra time developing contacts to source your expertise out to anyone who needs programming worldwide. Then, with your global business in hand come on down.You'll get money in hard currency and be able to work from this beautiful island.

That first step can be a hard one, but it's well worth it.My mother still doesn't think I have a 'real' job! And I haven't worked for anyone else in 30 years.

:rolleyes:

Tom aka XR

navymike20005

Jan 15, 2004
Computer Networking Jobs

Irt the post by theone"Hey everyone I'm new to the site. .
I'm DominicanI have a BS in Computer Science. I would like to know if this is a career field in which I can get a goog job in The Dominican Republic.
I'm also planning to go back and live there in less than a year. I was born there and came to the US at the age of 13, right now I'm 21 years old and go every year on vacations. Thank you before hand for your help "

I will be retiring from the US navy here this summer and have been doing networking for past 12 years. Is there any jobs in the Sosua or surronding areas for a network administrator? I am planning to move to DR after this summer any help would be appreciated. I just love this forum.

Navy Mike

claudius_2k

Apr 10, 2003
hi Robert , please can you inform me about the russian or indian programmers? how do you find them?

if you prefer I will PM you, thanks

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
claudius_2k said:
hi Robert , please can you inform me about the russian or indian programmers? how do you find them?

if you prefer I will PM you, thanks

PM or email me.