Taxi From Puerto Plata to Santiago

Fonseca799

Oct 2, 2003
It has been a little ove a year since I have visited the DR. What is the present average cost of a Taxi from Puerto Plata to Santiago?

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Just a guess...

Fonseca799 said:
It has been a little ove a year since I have visited the DR. What is the present average cost of a Taxi from Puerto Plata to Santiago?

I would say $700 to $1000 pesos

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I would say

Why not take a bus? Metro or Caribe Tour are far, far cheaper and just as fast and a lot safer. Taxis in Santiago are now RD$70 to most destinations.

And you can negotiate a fare for a few hours....

HB

maryanne

Mar 16, 2003
INo way it's 700 - 1000 pesos.
Trip from Puerto Plata airport to Costambar is approximately $20-$25 US (min. 1000 pesos depending on the exchange rate).

Rafael Silva is quoting $75 US on his website (from Puerto Plata airport to Santiago).

Maryanne

If you can take Caribe or Metro tours otherwise you probably could negotiate a deal of 40-50 dollars if you look around and talk to different Taxis as long as you dont look desparate standing there with your luggage. If you are getting taxi at airport it will be much more expensive.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Tourist Prices!

maryanne said:
Trip from Puerto Plata airport to Costambar is approximately $20-$25 US (min. 1000 pesos depending on the exchange rate).
Rafael Silva is quoting $75 US on his website (from Puerto Plata airport to Santiago).
From Sosua to Puerto Plata it's 20 Pesos per person, still. As of a week ago the last time Alba and I made the trip. If you want to go it solo, just tell the driver you want to pay six, and pay for all the seats. That's 120 Pesos.

I don't know what a Taxi rate is to Santiago. But I wouldn't take a Taxi. Alba travels between Santiago and here all the time via CaribeTours for I think less than 100pesos. It's not expensive, it's much safer than a Taxi, and generally faster. Take the bus!

Tom aka XR

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Here is the site They have very comfortable airconditioned buses. Take a taxi to the Caribe Station in POP and you buy your ticket there. It was 70 pesos in Nov/Dec from Los Charamicos to Santiago.There are two stops in Santiago.

Wanted to add that they leave Los Charamicos at 20 after the hour and should be into POP station by the hour or sooner.

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
A taxi will probably cost you US$70.

Taxi prices are going sky high. For example, the Sosua taxi drivers have just raised the rate from Sosua to the Caribe Tours bus terminal in Charamicos to RD$150. For the same money, you can travel a long way by taxi in Santo Domingo. But the taxi drivers here seem determined. If you don't agree to the price, they will leave you on the curb.

I agree with those who recommend taking Caribe Tours. Buses leave Puerto Plata hourly on the hour from early morning until about supper time. Return buses also leave hourly. Price now around RD$100. (Now RD$200 from Sosua to Santo Domingo.)

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
It's exactly $40US with a little negotiating. Got 2 taxi's from STI airport on 1/24/04. Got a better deal on our way up to camp David on 1/29 with some help from a member who lives in POP.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
RandyE said:
It's exactly $40US with a little negotiating. Got 2 taxi's from STI airport on 1/24/04. Got a better deal on our way up to camp David on 1/29 with some help from a member who lives in POP.

I HAD to do that - you beat me at Golf as I recall!! :cry: Nice seeing you again Randy, don't leave it a year till next time but CERTAINLY bring the wife in Feb 2005, she's GOT to look prettier than you!!! - Grahame. :cool:

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
She's a 10 as you will see. Didn't want to use your name as I wasn't sure if you wanted to add "transportation director" to your growing list of services offered. Owe you and Ginnie a drink next time down. Between you and HB saved a LOT of pesos on transport for my crew of 6. Will give credit on trip report this weekend.