Long trip worried about Haiti

Raquel

Feb 1, 2003
I am supposed to come to POP in April been planing for a year and a half. Is it still safe... how could the Haiti situation affect the RD??

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Exactly what are you referring to?

Are you talking about what is on the news or some posts here?

This is not the first time Haiti is in turmoil, it hasnt bothered the DR and they wont let it affect the tourists - specially in POP.

There is a lot going on in DR right now and generally the hotel owners dont let that seep into their turf, so I say, not worries.

Raquel

Feb 1, 2003
We, in canada, keep getting reports of violence of terrorists in Haiti, that they are killing the police and are revolting. I understand that this has been going on for a long time but I need help to prove to my parents that it will not affect my trip to POP.

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
Raquel - The US State Department has a travel warning to US citizens to stay away from Haiti. They did not include Dominican Republic. If so, they would have issued an advisory on the whole island of Hispanola.

Go and have fun.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Tell them they are two separate countries, believe you me, Dominicans let this fact be KNOWN in their part of the island.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Even when there are strikes and problems IN the DR, they don't affect the tourist destinations and much less the resorts.

Have a great time!

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
No worries

Why should a problem in Haiti bother you? It's like saying you should stay in doors in America because there's some trouble going down in Vancouver. And what are the Haitians going to do? Invade?

The reason why they are beating up their police is because there is no army to safeguard the streets - the president disbanded it! Have a nice holiday.