the beauty of NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.

pati

Feb 3, 2004
Hi everyone,

This is my first time starting a thread so please go easy on me. I wanted to respond to some comments I read in Danny W's sad situation thread but from what I've read in other postings it's not cool to veer off the subject of the original thread.

This is really for anyone visiting or moving from DR to NYC.
NYC is not ugly. It's just different. Before 9/11 NYC had the most beautiful city skyline. NYC's beauty is in it's architecture. Whereas DR's beauty is in it's natural resources.

I felt bad for the lady that came to visit her cousin and all they showed her was "Ground Zero". No wonder the poor woman was afraid to leave the apartment. Unfortunately most of the people who come here are only exposed to the minority (ghetto) areas. NYC has much more to offer. There are some really nice neighborhoods in Brooklyn,Staten Island,Manhattan, Queens and even the Bronx.

Next time you go to the Bronx (if there is a next time). Have someone bring you to the heart of Riverdale. I went there a few years ago and trust me. Riverdale is no ghetto.

Next time you go to Queens. Have someone bring you to Forest Hills, Howard Beach, Douglaston,the nice parts of Flushing and Bayside. All have beautifully tree lined streets, manicured lawns and some gorgeous homes.

Manhattan is more of a block to block thing than an entire neighborhood to me. Lower Manhattan has some nice spots like Battery Park City. Midtown has some beautifully maintained turn of the century type buildings. Mostly occupied by Consulates and Missions. Not the DR Consulate. They're located more in the theatre district. Mostly restaurants,theatres and arcades. Someone mentioned Harlem.
Some parts of Harlem have made a come back. There are beautifully restored Brownstones. I don't know if they still do it but at one time some of the owners of these historical homes would give tours.

There's nothing more beautiful than Christmas in NYC. Except maybe Autumn in NYC when the trees change color. Of course if you go Upstate NY you'll see a lot more forestry up there. Come Christmas time many homeowners put out elaborate displays for everyone to enjoy. So when you come demand that they bring you to see these places and others. If they don't know where they are then get a map. NYC has a lot of beauty, you just have to know where to find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.