Santiago Info

bigD

Aug 11, 2003
Hello All,

I'm trying to get some info on estimated living costs in Santiago. I'm interested in renting either a 3 bedroom house or apartment. As well, I would like an area that is good for expat kids. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

BigD

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I am also looking to rent a house with similar specs, I live in Santiago and have been doing some house-hunting lately. If you like I can refer you to some that I have passed on recently, one in particular was just teeny bit out of my price range at 12k monthly with a nice yard, alarm system, basketball court etc.

bigD

Aug 11, 2003
MrMike said:
I am also looking to rent a house with similar specs, I live in Santiago and have been doing some house-hunting lately. If you like I can refer you to some that I have passed on recently, one in particular was just teeny bit out of my price range at 12k monthly with a nice yard, alarm system, basketball court etc.

Hey Mike,

Yes any leads would be appreciated.

Thanks BigD

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I'm talking pesos of course. I might rent an entire village for USD$12,000 per month, but then I wouldn't know what to do with it.

Are you already here? email me and we'll get together. I will be out of town tommorrow but I'll catch up with you as soon as possible.

santanatwins

Jan 20, 2004
Santiago Apartments

Last november I rented a 3 bedroom/two bath/ service quarters with bath/ liv/dine/terrace/ 2 parking spots for 6000 pesos a month. And this was a brand new apt building.
It took a copule of days of driving around and looking at about 10 different apts before I found one that met my needs.
School is a 3 minute walk from the building....small grocery store on the next corner....pharmacy 5 minute walk.... and in a fairly quite residential area.
I needed all these things since my wife was going to have a baby and I don't want her to be walking far for anything and I didn't want my new born to go deaf from all the traffic noise.

If you spend a few days driving around, I'm sure you can find something that will meet your needs.

P.S. When I was looking, I saw apts in the range of $4500 to $6500 pesos.
Even if the exchange rate drops from 50 to 30.....your still only paying about $200 US a month for a 3 bedroom.
And when you go to get your electric hooked up.........TAKE THIS ADVISE.....When they ask you what you have tell them you have 3 bulbs...1 small freig....and a water heater.......No radio....No tv....No appliances...Nothing........It will save you money on your security deposit.
Happy hunting

Last edited:

bigD

Aug 11, 2003
It seems odd that when you look in the real estate listings, places are selling for US$200k +, yet the rents are so low. Am I missing something? Not that I want to pay more or anything ...

Thanks guys, this gives me a little more confidence in my budgeting for when we make the leap sometime next month.

Something else I'm looking for is a lead into whats available for private english schools (primary grades) - I've found that Christian School - but would prefer not to send my kids there (no offence to anybody)

Thanks,

BigD (Darryl actually)