safe must see places from dr 1st timer with 7 & 11 year old kids

landscapenRI

Feb 10, 2004
hello all

just decided today to book a last minute trip, thought about going to negril jamaica, as we went a 2 years ago and had a great time, ( propably because i did research for that last minute trip as well and knew wheere to go off the resort as well.) but this time we are taking the kids and want to have a great time as it is our first major vacation with the kids. while in jamiaca we made friends with one of the hotel workers who took us on a 1 day adventure , we gave him 40 or 50 us dollars and he was thrilled to death i think he was making that for 2 weeks work in the resort. we also brought pencils and markers and stuff for some of the kids in the town they were thrilled as well. ( they made my wife cry she was so sad for how poor they are there, not that we are well off but compared to them it just makes you realize how lucky you are @ times. )

so where should we go we are staying at the breezes resort, i hope this is a good chioce, but booking 12 days before leaving we had little to no choice

also i dont have the time as i did 2 years ago to do tons of research looking where to go

as i said the kids are 7 and 11

thanks
in advance for all your help we will be arriving feb 22 and leaving the 29th

thanks in advance

chris & pam :classic:

appleman

Dec 18, 2003
You don't say how far you are willing to go or how much you want to spend. I hear Ocean World in Puerta Plata is very nice, but it is relatively expensive. If staying at Breezes, you could split your time between Sosua and Cabarete. The beach in each town is great and there are a lot of shops on the Sosua beach to explore, and the Wind and kitesurfers are interesting in Cabarete. Have your kids bring some baseball cards, baseballs or rag balls, and baseball caps down with them, and they can give them to the local kids who will love to have them. Your kids will always remember that.

You could also bring some school supplies and drop them off at Sosua Business services in Sosua and they will distribute to needy students at Bella Vista school. (Do a quick search of these forums for more information).

The entire tourist area around the north coast is safe.

landscapenRI

Feb 10, 2004
OK THANKS FOR THE QUICK REPLIES

I AM PLANNING ON BRINGING SOME SCHOOL SUPPLIES FORMY 2 GIRLS TO GIVE TO THE KIDS OR TO THE SCHOOL. IT WAS A GREAT EXPERIENCE TO DO THAT IN JAMAICA AND I WANT MY CHILDREN TO SEE THAT HEREE IN DR FOR THEM SELVES.

I AM THINKING OF THE OCEAN ADVENTURE , IT SEAMS EXPENSIVE BUT EVERY ONE WHO TALKS ABOUT IT SAYS IT WAS WORTH IT. ARE THERE ANY DEALS FOR THIS TRIP AND DOES IT HAVE TO BE BOOKED AHEAD OF TIME

ALSO I FORGOT TO ADD TO THE ORIGINAL THREAD THAT MY KIDS ARE GIRLS AND WE SPEAK VERY VERY LITTLE SPANISH

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP AND KEEP THE IDEAS COMING

THANKS
CHRIS & PAM :p

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
I assume you've been to Debbiesdominicantravel, a very comprehensive web site of things to do and reviews of tours/hotels. If not, I think you'll get your fill of ideas for your vacation. (The Jungle Safari tour is very popular.) There's also a web special for discounts at Ocean World.

http://www.debbiesdominicantravel.com/tours.html#north

Chester4

*** Sin Bin ***
Feb 12, 2004
Staying @ Breezes

I live in Sosua with my kids aged 13 and 11 - they were at the kids club last year in Breezes and loved every minute.