Renewing US Passport in the DR

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I thought it might be useful to pass on some current information about renewing your US passport at the US Consulate in Santo Domingo, something that I did yesterday.

1. Passport renewal is only done between 7:30 and 9:30 am, Monday-Friday, except on days that are holidays in either the US or the DR.

2. When you get to the Consulate, show your passport and explain why you are there, you will be taken to the entrance of the Citizens' Services section and told to take a number from one of those devices that you sometimes see in stores. You will then be told to sit in a section where many others are waiting for one service of the Consulate or another. This is not, however, the section section that is crowded with Dominicans trying to get a visa.

3. Eventually, though the wait isn't too long, someone will come down and read of five or 6 numbers. If the number on your ticket is one of those numbers, you go with this person to the entrance to the Citizens' Services section and form a line according to your number. When it is your turn, you enter, present your passport and the renewal application you will have completed in advance as well as two identical 2"x2" photos. If all is ok, you will be given a receipt and directed to a cashier to pay your fee. The current fee is US$55 per passport and can be paid in dollars or pesos. Yesterday, the exchange rate being used by the Consulate was RD$54 to 1.

4. With payment receipt in hand, you return to the person who you gave your papers and they will give you a receipt. This receipt is very important because it must be shown when you return to the Consulate to pick up your passport 10 working days later. In my case, I turned in my papers on the 10 and can pick up my passport on the 26th.

Additional:

1. Get your pictures taken in advance and remember they must be 2" by 2". Many of the picture places advertise 2x2 but give you 1.5"x1.5" photos and tell you they are acceptable; they are not. Before I could complete the process, I had to get new pictures taken. Several places very close to the Consulate have been set up to take the pictures, but they are much more expensive. For example, my wife and I paid a total of RD$168 for pictures before going to the Consulate, but they were not acceptable because of their size. So we went a nearby place for the fotos and this time paid a total of RD$600.

2. Best if you can get your renewal form in advance and fill it out before going to the Consulate. If you have Adobe reader on your computer, go to http://travel.state.gov/DS-0082.pdf and copy form DS-82, Application for US Passport by Mail. If renewing in the DR, don't mail the form but take it with you to the Consulate. You can get the form at the Consulate, but only when standing outside Citizens' Services waiting to turn in your papers. Much less stressful to fill it out in advance.

3. The person who calls out the numbers doesn't speak very loudly, or maybe he/she does, but there is some much other noise that it is very hard to hear. If you don't clearly hear the numbers, don't hesitate to ask what they were. Otherwise you may end up waiting to be called much longer than is necessary.

Last edited:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Another question.

How many 2x2 fotos do I need to take there?: 2 or 4?
What other documents do i need to take with me in order to expedite the transaction the same day? My passort is not valid at the moment because I always had an air bubble in my picture (under the plastic lamination). On my recent arrival from mexico I was detained at atlanta airport because the immigration officer really opened up the lamination on the photo part to see if my photo was not implanted. Then they let me go and declared my passport invalid. Now I have to get another one. Another question: if they take away my old passport for time being (until i get the new one) so how can I travel to USA in an emergency situation?

P.S. I am an american citizen in case you were wondering.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
A couple of additions to what I wrote above:

1. To renew your passport, you must go in person. A family member, for example, can't go with applications for several persons.

2. Payment must be in cash, and all the same currency. Travelers checks, credit cards, personal checks are not accepted, nor is a combination of dollars and pesos.

AZB, you are required to have two identical photos, your passport, and the completed application. Plus the money.

See this web page for more information http://www.usemb.gov.do/Consular/ACS/passports.htm

In cases of true emergency, the Embassy here can issue a temporary passport. Examples of such emergencies might include illness of the traveler and need for medical treatment in the U.S., grave illness or death of a close family member.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
The American Consulate is closed on the last Friday of every month.

They'll tell you they dont have a phone number to call for info, they do, keep pressing for it.

They do stick to the 9:30 AM cutoff time.

Lastly, once you go pick up your passport, MAKE SURE YOUR INFO IS CORRECT including your DOB - I've had to go FIVE times for different reasons for myself and my kids on my last trip. THEY DO MAKE MISTAKES.

Be very nice to the girl at the desk, she's has a TRUE chip on her shoulder adn the - I've been at this desk too long to bother with you today, tomorrow, forever - attitude.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
If You Lose Your Passport:

Since we are in the subject... Sorry, its loooong.

I lost my passport and have two different experiences to share:

I was born in DR, but became a citizen in 98. I've been in the States for about 18 years, my life is based in the US. On my last trip my purse was stolen, long story short I needed passports for me and my kids.

I had copies of ALL my important documents here in the US, including the original Citizenship Award letter, all this was FedExed to me the next day. When I went, I was told I needed more proof that my kids were American and were mine and needed more proof of my life in NJ. I guess the FedEx from NJ and all original copies didnt suffice...

I had to go back with pictures, papers from school for my son, and hospital records for my daughter. They even asked for the bracelet she got at the hospital (I had everything sent to me).

After 5 trips, about $500 dollars and 15 business days later, I got our passports.

The other side:
There was an american man who sat next to me on one of my visits to the consulate. he was in SD for work, no kids here or in DR, no wife, nothing, he was just chilling. he lost his passport at his hotel. He went to the window, he got a letter saying he can travel right away. Didnt have to pay, didnt have to wait, he left.

I asked what that was all about, I was told by the agent that she doesnt know why he got a temporary one and I didnt. I asked if it was because I had been born in DR and he wasnt, she shrugged and said, "Probably not" This was completely unfair b/c as I explained to her, I had kids, no money (wallet got stolen) no credit cards (thus no rental car) and if I lost my flight to come back I couldnt go to work and I had to buy all the things for my baby (4 months old at the time) so I NEEDED to go home to NJ. I kept bitching and complaing about the unfairness and wanted to see managers (true to my NJ upbringing) They didnt care, I guess I forgot I was in SD...

So there, I was screwed by the Americans in the Consulate.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I think it was because he was born in the US and didn't have the complication of starting life as the citizen of another country.

"Lost or Stolen Passports: In the event that your passport is lost or stolen, first report the theft to the local police in order to get a police report, and then come in person to the American Citizens Services (ACS) Unit of the Consular Section. You will need proof of citizenship and a photo ID, such as a driver's license, school ID (for minors) or a Dominican ID-c?dula (for dual nationals). If applying for a replacement of a lost or stolen passport, complete form DS-11."

Last edited:

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Must be the cheap plastic.

AZB said:
My passort is not valid at the moment because I always had an air bubble in my picture (under the plastic lamination). On my recent arrival from mexico I was detained at atlanta airport because the immigration officer really opened up the lamination on the photo part to see if my photo was not implanted. Then they let me go and declared my passport invalid.
Mine's only 6 years old, and my photo has the lamination bubbling too. Time for a new one I guess. Ahhh. I'll never look that young again.

Tom aka XR