Docuementation Questions

J

Joyce Jimenez

I am sending my 2 stepchildren and my 9 year old son to Sosua for a month to see their grandmother. I just called American Airlines to make the reservations and I know I will have no problems with my stepchildrens docuementation, but I am concerned about my 9 year old son. He was born in the DR and has a american passport (blue) but his birth certificate is a birth certificate that was issued at the consulate. It says Certification of Birth Abroad, it has the raised seal and all official. I know what you are thinking, send him with his passport. I would but it is expired and the picture in it is when he was a 3 month old child. Does anyone have any experience with this, or have any suggestions. Also American Airlines said something about a letter that the family will need to fill out before the children can travel alone, to come back.

They are making me nervous

Thanks for your help in advance

Joyce

E

ECH, M.D.

It is not simply a question of a passport. This is the problem and I wonder if I can return to the USA with my grandchild, whose parent is in the States already!
:
:100+ permits for minors to travel without parents
:The Department of Migration said that it is issuing 100 to 150 permits a
:day for children 13 years or to be allowed to leave the DR unaccompanied by
:a parent. Dolores Perez Castillo, in charge of the Department of
:Certifications of Migration, said that Law 14-97 requires minors whose
:parents live abroad to request a consular power at the nearest Consulate by
:presenting the child's passport or travel documents, and two photos 2 x 2.
:If the parents live in the DR, more paperwork is required. Required
:documents are:
:The parents need to deposit a power of attorney of one of the two parents
:legalized by the Procuradur'a General de la Repoblica (Office of the
:Attorney General).
:Two photos 2" x 2" of the minor.
:passport or authorized travel document and the birth certificate if the
:child is Dominican.
:passport or travel document of the person who will travel with the minor.
:Or if the minor will travel alone, a power of attorney authorizing the
:airline to transport the minor.
:Stamp of the Direcci-n de Impuestos Internos for RD$33.60 for the permit.
:payment of RD$30.00 for the procedure.
:All documents, with the exception of the passport of which a photocopy is
:allowed, need to be submitted in an original and a photocopy.
:The permit is valid for three months. The inspector will retain it at the
:time of departure. If the child needs to re-enter the country, an
:additional permit must be requested.

S

scaramooch

Joyce I would sugest that you get a new passport for your daughter because you are going to be hassled either by custom coming back or if a try to get a new passport in the Ameican Embassy while you are there you will have to prove to them that the 3 year old pictured on that passport is really your 9 year old daughter, they think you are trying to bring somebody else into this country believe me I seen that hassle in another country while I was in the American Embassy. I would advice you to take care of any document that you need to send your children to the DR, instead of thinking that you will take care of the problem there or they will believe what you say.Customs and the American Embassy are very skeptical and synical of any Dominican so have your papers in order.

J

Joyce Jimenez

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who answered my questions. I have decided to apply for a new passport here before my son leaves. We took his pictures and deposited the applicaton on Saturday. The post office said I would have the passport before my son leaves. Once again thank you for all the info.

Have a nice day

JOyce