Coin-Op Laundromats in Sosua??

ecarignan

Jan 9, 2003
www.commtech.ca
Could not find a decent place to do laundry such as self-service laundromats or coin-operated ones. Only found one beside the Sosua Supermercado but it's very expensive there.

Any other places? Suggestions?

ecarignan

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Is that the one on the street going down to the Sosua By The Sea hotel? If not, there is one there.

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
Eric - the one Ken is talking about is the same block of the Waterfront restaurant. But Timo (of CL) said there is a self-serve one next to his mother's hotel in Sosua, but can't remember the name of her hotel. Ask him when you get down there.

Yeah, the one next to the supermerkado charged me 100 pesos to dry just 1 load. I had washed the load. When I brought it back to the house, they must have dropped one white pillowcase on the ground because it was all dirty like it had been drug in dirty pool of water. But instead of telling me, they folded it and put it at the bottom of the bag.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
You could rent a portable machine and do it yourself....

OR

You could contract the services of a nice washing woman, who could pick it up, wash it at her home and deliver it back to you. I'm sure someone you know could recommend a reliable person.

(And they say Canada is a civilized country - I despise doing my own laundry!)

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Yes, rental of a machine is possible from the small store across from Britannia Pub. In same building as Sosua Business Services.

Haven't seen one there lately, but I know in past he had machines to rent.

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Ah, Laundry!

ecarignan said:
Could not find a decent place to do laundry ... Suggestions?
What fun. Well, it doesn't matter who you have do it for you. Even if you do it yourself the detergents here are, how shall I put it, juuuuuuuuuuust a little bit harsh.

When I was here first we used the laundry on Calle DR. Rosen too. The black hole that always sucks up your socks in your drier back home seems to have much greater force there and tends to pull in a larger percentage of your garments. So here's two suggestions. Jokes aside.
  • Washers are cheap whether renting or buying, so is help, and the dryer is the sun. Buy a machine and hire a maid to come once or twice a week and clean your clothes at your house where they won't disappear.
  • Take the clothes to laundry in town but inventory everything. Hand the list in along with the clothes, and then when they hand you your clean clothes back compare the list with what's in the sack in front of them before you leave.

You can always do it yourself. But what's the point of living in paradise if you're just here doing laundry. Let someone else 'handle-it-handle-it!' Labor is cheap, and good people can be found. Find a Girl Friday or a Guy Friday and let hime/her follow you around at your beck and command and do all the work. Trust me, your life will be much simpler and you'll enjoy living here sooooo much more.

Tom aka XR

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Hand the list in along with the clothes, and then when they hand you your clean clothes back compare the list with what's in the sack in front of them before you leave.
You must be popular with the laundry people! Isn't that a little hard-core?

Yes, rental of a machine is possible from the small store across from Britannia Pub. In same building as Sosua Business Services.
There are various places in Charamicos that rent, I can only assume for less, and you pay by the hour.

Truth be told, I went through a lot of washing women. I don't know why, but our relationships always deteriorated, making me feel as if you must, by force of nature, hate the person whose clothes you wash. I dunno.

Also, a drop of Mistolin (pref. "Bouquet") in the wash water is always... a good thing. :)

Last edited:

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Jane J. said:
You must be popular with the laundry people! Isn't that a little hard-core?
LOL. I never did that, just wish I had. It was years ago. But at the rate my clothes were being pilfered I'd a been less well attired than the Sosua bag lady in a few more months.So I would recommend nothing less than an item count. And that was during the 'good' times. The way things are now I dunno what you'd get back!

Tom aka XR

ecarignan

Jan 9, 2003
www.commtech.ca
Thanks for everyone's input. It would be different if I were living here full time but I'm only going there 4 times a year 2 weeks every time. In 2 weeks, I have no intentions of renting a unit. I'll try the one close to Sosua by the Bay/Waterfront.

Thanks all.

ecarignan