fashionable bars, shows etc.

JamesV

Jan 15, 2004
I'm staying in Santo Domingo for a while to improve my Spanish. Not sure if this is the right place as the Spanish here seems abit colorful but this city and its people is alot different to what I'm use too and the change is great. Ive started to meet girls from university and I'm planing to ask some out on dates but I have no idea where to go.

I don't want to hang out in tourist places and the times I have gone out with young Dominicans of my age the places we went where cheap and loud which is good for a crowd but not when taking out a girl on a first date.

Can anyone tell me places to go like fashionable bars, shows, bowling etc. Im staying near the UASD.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
A lot of them and the guys that are in school may not have a lot of money, so they are used to going to cheap places and having a cheap good time (i.e. dancing w/a presidente). Not to say that they may enjoy a change of pace and some money being spent on them for a change.

You are better off asking the girl what she likes. If she has some class, she might enjoy a quiet cafe and some bowling. A nice date is defined differently by all women, so ask first. Dont try to surprise her with a 'different' date, that my be out of her league.

There are cafe's in the 'Boulevard' which is the center of Avenida 27 and Centro Bolero is around the corner from Plaza Central, nearby there. You can bowl and shoot pool without the disco-atmosphere. Very nice and civilized.

I love la Zona Colonial in the afternoon and maybe having coffee in one of the bistros overlooking the port. I like to walk around El Conde (touristy, but nice) window shop and just people watch.

If I think of anymore, I'll share...

bigD

Aug 11, 2003
oooh take her bowling - you are a womans man if there ever was one - heh, just kidding :)

jojocho

Jul 10, 2002
A few places to consider:

Bistro de Paris--- Nice outside terrace.
Praia--- The top place for "jevitos", though recently getting bad rep for their "not everybody can come in here" policy.
Anywhere on Hostos street--- in the Zona Colonial, this street has become the "it" place for bar hopping and quiet cafes

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
First off get a better place to live

The UASD is peopled by those that cannot afford to go to a better university,
therefore any girl you meet there will be most grateful for a "riki and a Coke" some place down the street.

If you want to go to places like Montecristo or Bizarro or Trio you had better get a better class of girl over at Intec, Unphu or the Unibe....Lots of luck.

I think I would rather have you hang out at the above mentioned places and find your chick there rather than preying on university kids and warping their minds by taking them to places they only read about in the society mags every other Saturday...

(Does this sound like GOLO??) hehehehe

Hb

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Hb

While the University is cheap, the area IS NOT! But then again, that's where our Witless Leader lives, make of that what you want.

Anyways, Jojocho gave some good ideas. You might also like the cafes on La Atarazana.

Zachary

Jan 9, 2004
Priah
Taboo-Bamboo
Kiev
Loft

were the 4 i went to the most often when i was in the DR for the month of December, all are stylish and expensive. Some of the places are touchy at the door if you dont "Look Right" u may not get in.

Zach.

JamesV

Jan 15, 2004
Thanks guys I will try the places mentioned.

Hillbilly - I don't know anyone that goes to UASD I just rent an apart hotel near there. The friends Ive made go to the Dominico-Americano (where I'm studying) and UTESA, however I don't real understand the distinction in class. This is as poor country (as most parts of Latin America) and I imagine most people i will meet here will have limited means.

franco

Nov 5, 2003
Zachary said:
Priah
Taboo-Bamboo
Kiev
Loft

Just some of a cars that was parked yesterday near the LOFT:

Mercedes-Benz AMG SL55
Lamborghini Gallardo
Porsche Cayenne Turbo

"Face-control" and "dress-code" is very serious. Luxury club.

Yan-Yan

Sep 22, 2003
Zachary said:
.... Some of the places are touchy at the door if you dont "Look Right" u may not get in.

That's an understatement!

My sister is a Model in NY and came to visit. Took her to Priah...

Full of class and very well dressed BUT with her natural hair (curly and short, not an afro, but close) she was told by the man at the door to "cumb your hair and then come back"!!!

The owner is still apologizing after the letter she sent them!

... A sad bunch of ignorants!

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
I have never been turned down anywhere over there and thank God, because thats where the American would come out of me - I demand my rights!!

After reading some of the posts I see that they dont let people who look like they live in DR (criollos) So if you are not rich you get turned down? What is the 'look' you have to have to get into these places? And also, if you have to be snotty to get in, what is the atmosphere inside like, is it fun or a fashion show with noses up in the air?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Talldrink said:
American would come out of me - I demand my rights!!

Hehehe, like the guy on the door really cares.
This will be your fastest route to the clubs in Zona Oriental.

After reading some of the posts I see that they dont let people who look like they live in DR (criollos) So if you are not rich you get turned down? What is the 'look' you have to have to get into these places? And also, if you have to be snotty to get in, what is the atmosphere inside like, is it fun or a fashion show with noses up in the air?

If your worring about not been able to get in, then I'm sure you don't fit the required profile.

What's that profile?

This country is very small and Santo Domingo is even smaller. Everybody at a certain level knows each other, either by name (family), friend or sight (often). This is the "group", "set", whatever you want to call it that doesn't question their ability to get in.

I'm sure you know what I'm talking about, "plastic" is a term that comes to mind :)

franco

Nov 5, 2003
Talldrink said:
I have never been turned down anywhere over there and thank God, because thats where the American would come out of me - I demand my rights!!

Looks like you have not been in such clubs in USA. I can show you few in New-York, in Santa Monica and in Miami. There is the same face-control and dress-code, maybe more serious. =) But I can help you to get into these places and I'm not american. =) Everywhere in big cities you can find such private places: London, Milano, Berlin, Paris, Moscow, etc. It is very good that here, in Santo Domingo we have places not only with poor dominicans. =)

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Robert said:
Hehehe, like the guy on the door really cares.
This will be your fastest route to the clubs in Zona Oriental.

Robert, I've had to 'demand my rights' a couple of times in SD and it has worked. My point is that I dont like double standards and my voice will be heard - or at least I will try. I do all this in the most polite way possible as I dont think curses or yelling will get me anywhere.

If your worring about not been able to get in, then I'm sure you don't fit the required profile.

This country is very small and Santo Domingo is even smaller. Everybody at a certain level knows each other, either by name (family), friend or sight (often). This is the "group", "set", whatever you want to call it that doesn't question their ability to get in.

That is the least of my worries in DR, Trust me on that. Maybe I worded my question wrong, but you did answer it with that paragraph.

FRANCO:
I worked in the Entertainment business in the US for about 6 years. I dealt directly with sports personalities and celebs in both coasts of the US incluiding a one-year stint in Miami. So yes, I know of these clubs, VIP rooms, lounges, etc in the US. Not only did I know of them, but I had been one of the chicks at the door with the little clipboard... long time ago, happy to say that I was able to moved up since.

Like I said to Robert, I worded my question wrong, but he gave me the answer. I had never encountered this in DR, maybe because I have never been turned down. I never went with any of my girlfriends that live there and many of them look like it. So I was wondering if they wouldnt get in if they went with me.