Go ahead and shoot, Yes I mention Haiti as a primary focus

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
I have not listened to the program, but I am including it as a link. Seems to claim US involvement in a Coup attempt in Haiti. This sounds totally bogus to me, why attempt a Coup when it can't be managed even after the coup. There is no money for the country to manage it's self now, only a total anarchist could advocate a coup for this country. Anyway I will listen to this tonight, hope for comments also. I feel events in Haiti directly affect the DR so feel free to comment. Below is included the preamble to the segment, forgive me if the actual program is totally bogus, with "Democracy Now" it's pot luck.

-Lee

PS: No copyrights have been violated with this post.

Listen

Watch 128K Democracy Now US Sponsered Coup in Haiti?

Watch 256K Democracy Now US Sponsered Coup in Haiti?

=========================================================
If it weren't for the occupation of Iraq, perhaps official attention in Washington would be focused south on the island nation of Haiti. Anti-government gangs and militias are working with opposition groups and former army officers in an effort to overthrow the government of Jean Bertrand Aristide. There is concern that Washington is once again working behind the scenes to foment a coup.
The Haitian President said yesterday he will not step down from office, telling reporters "I will leave the palace Feb. 7, 2006"-that is the day his mandate as president ends. For weeks, Haiti has seen armed gangs attacking government forces and supporters in various towns and cities across the country. Pro-government supporters have been defending Aristide. There have been a series of armed battles that have resulted in at least 40 deaths. Haiti has no army and has a dwindling police force numbering only a few thousand.

If the violence escalates, there are fears that Haiti could experience another mass exodus of people taking to boats to flee the country. And many are beginning to question exactly what role the US is playing in the current events in the country.

This week the Bush administration stopped just short of calling on the Aristide to resign. State Department spokesperson Richard Boucher told reporters, "We recognize that reaching a political settlement will require some fairly thorough changes in the way Haiti is governed."

Another senior official told The Baltimore Sun, "When we talk about undergoing change in the way Haiti is governed, I think that could indeed involve changes in Aristide's position."

Dr. Paul Farmer, author of "The Uses of Haiti" and " Pathologies of Power: Health, Human Rights, and the New War on the Poor". Farmer helps run clinics in Haiti.
Jean Jean-Pierre, is a journalist who has written for the Village Voice for more than a decade. He was born and raised in Haiti.