Shark Encounter: Info please?

toby

Dec 8, 2003
Since returning from our first trip to Puerto Plata our friends and nieghbours are filled with questions and even planning visits in 2004. Most have young families and enjoyed seeing the photo's we took and purchased at Ocean World. My daughter's friend Mat who is twelve and a strong swimmer has swamped me with questions about the Shark Encounter.(Budding naturalist!) As this particular encounter was being developed at Ocean World at the time of our visit,(Dec, 2003) our answers to his questions are very limited.
Maybe our good friend Conchman or other DR1'ers could be kind and give us a description of this up coming feature of Ocean World.
The questions most asked were...
Duration of encounter? Types of sharks? Feeding and training of sharks? Did you name the sharks,? and the most important question of all is ..can a twelve year old be part of this experience? (please add any additional information to quench this young boys thirst for information on sharks at Ocean World as he loves Sharks!)
You can bet your bottom dollar Mat and his family are in the advanced stages of planning a trip to the DR..so your help and informative responses would be greatly recieved by all.
Thanks in advance...Toby

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
At Ocean World we currently have 9 nurse sharks in our shark encounter pool. We are obtaining some bonnethead sharks which look like little hammerhead sharks, but they grow to only about 4-5 feet. Currently, our trainers hand feed the sharks twice per day, which can be viewed by some of our guests who are lucky enough to have booked a dolphin or sea lion program during the shark feeding time.

When will the shark encounter be available to the public?

Thats a tough question to answer, as we are still developing the program and training/conditioning the sharks. Obviously, we have to make sure the program is safe for participants, trainers, and the sharks.

My best estimate is that by the opening of the park for admission in April or May, we will be able to sell the shark encounter as its own separate program in the park.

I doubt the shark encounter will be available for purchase at the hotel as our dolphin and sea lion programs are at the moment. As part of admission to the park, you will be able to view the shark programs - the shark encounter pool has two huge windows where the underwater action can be viewed from the dry. If you want to participate, you will be able to purchase the program inside the park.

It will include feeding the sharks (either by hand or via a feeding stick - to be determined) and direct contact with the animals.

Eventually, we hope to turn this into a snorkelling program, but its too early to tell whether this can be done. In the beginning, all interactions will take place on the encounter steps specifically built for these interactions.

Just to update everyone on Ocean World:

Available Now:
Dolphin Swim ($120)
Dolphin Encounter ($75)
Sea Lion Encounter/Snorkel Reef Pool 1/2 Day Package ($55)
Observer to any of the programs above

In late Spring, we will start with General Admission ($55) to the park, which will include:

Two Dolphin Shows per day
Two Sea Lion Shows per day
Two Tropical Bird Shows per day
Lunch
Swimming in the Tiger Grotto (Tigers on other side of glass)
Rainforest Exhibit
Observation of the dolphin and sea lion encouter/swim programs
Observation of the shark and stingray encounter
Transportation to and from the park from nearby hotels.

As some of the shows may not be fully developed by then, we may offer the snorkel reef for free as part of admission.

Dolphin Swim
Dolphin Encounter
Sea Lion Encounter
Shark Encounter
Snorkel Reef*

Will all be available for purchase separately.

* Snorkel Reef may be part of admission ticket for the first few months after the opening.

There will be packages available for discounts, for example:

Dolphin Swim/Admission to park $145 ($175 separately)
Dolphin Encounter/Admission to park $100 ($130 separately)
Sea Lion Encounter/Admission to park $80 ($110 separately)

Feel free to contact me for updates.

landscapenRI

Feb 10, 2004
I have emailed ocean world 3 times with no response in regards to reservations if they will be needed or not the week of feb 22 thru 29th and what they have available as my wife and 2 girls ages 7 & 11 are very interested in going to the park and participating in at least 1 or 2 events

feel free to email me if you can help

landscapen@aol.com

sorry to piggy back this post but i thought some who would know would be reading this

thanks
chris & pam

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
We apologize for any inconveniences in our e-mail reservation system. We are experiencing some technical and logistical problems due to a significant increase in the amount of internet bookings over the last four weeks. I assure you our reservation dept. will take care of your reservation today, if they haven't already done so.

landscapenRI

Feb 10, 2004
that is a first for me i check my settings and i have "allow email from everyone checked off"

but i have the aol spam filter on?

i just shut that off don't know if that would make a difference.

thanks chris