Tourist visa - beating a dead horse!

nystateofmind

Aug 6, 2003
I know, I know that the possibility of a person from the DR getting a tourist visa to the US is almost, if not impossible. I have recently heard of an interesting bit of information back here in the states about an "Invitation Letter" for that person.

Basically what it entails is that I have an Invitation Letter prepared for the person in DR and it states that I am inviting them here to the states and I will totally responsible for their support and housing while they are here. It is a notarized letter containing all of my personal information as well as his. It also will state that at the end of the visitation stay, that the person will return to DR. The responsibilty is all mine and I will be held accountable for their actions - whatever that may mean.

The person has a job, has a bank account and has an apartment in DR.

Has anyone ever heard of something like this or is this just a pipe dream?

Please be kind.....lol

pati

Feb 3, 2004
I know someone who came to the US that way. She is about to get her US citizenship. I was planning on doing that for a friend of my husband once my husband comes back from DR. I'm not so sure if I'm still going to do it after speaking to someone who did. According to them they are now enforcing the rule of holding you totally responsible. So if the person ends up in the hospital you're responsible for the bill. If the person gets arrested the state can go after you for any costs they incurred during processing and prosecution if any. So to answer your question if you are a US citizen you can send a letter of invitiation. My advise would be only do it if you really trust the person. If the visa is for 3 months then make sure they go back within 3 months.

Chris_NJ

Bronze
Dec 17, 2003
I thought that the affadavit of support would be a good idea, but heard that for some reason it was not legally enforceable and therefore did not carry much weight at the consulate. I don't know if this is true but would like to know more about it.

pati

Feb 3, 2004
I don't really know. I can only say since 9/11 there have been many changes concerning immigrationing to the US. I only know what someone who has used a letter of invitation told me. She was very adamant about my husband and I not taking the chance. Her very words were "it's not like it used to be". According to her they are now enforcing those policies that were once overlooked.

nystateofmind

Aug 6, 2003
I think I would be willing to take the chance. It is not like I am inviting a total stranger to stay with me and we are not kids. I trust my friend entirely and have no fear about something going wrong.

No bad intentions here, just an invite to visit and see the states.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If the person owns an apartment, has a job

It is possible that a visa might be granted. However, it the person is young, single, with a low level job and an apartment in a public housing project, then I doubt that it would happen.

What you suggest may or may not work. You can only try..and cross your fingers.

HB

pati

Feb 3, 2004
I think it's all a luck of the draw. The lady I was referring to invited her cousin. Her cousin was in her 20's and single at the time. I know she stays with her mom when she goes back to DR to visit so I don't think she ownes any property.

It's not so much that I think my husbands friend will intentionally get into trouble. I just know in DR he has a habit of drinking and driving. In DR he has influence with the Police but over here it's different. But like Hillbilly said "you can only try".