Transfers from airport to the resorts

zangerzone

Feb 13, 2004
Hi,

I have a problem. I was supposed to go to Punta Cana in May and found out today that my airline will not go to Punta Cana but to Santo Domingo. Question is, how the heck can I get to Punta Cana? I will NOT drive because a friend of mine rented a car a couple months back and was hit twice on the road there. He said there are very bad drivers there and it cost him dearly in car rental repairs. I am stayin with the Breezes in Punta cana. Breezes said If I rather go to Puerto Plata, I can stay at the Breezes there. So which is closer or better location to stay at and how the heck can I get there. Think i was told that it was 4 hours either way from Santo Domingo. "Heard" that cab fare is $200 for 2 people vs $40 on a tour bus (what tour bus?) If anyone can provide me with the info I need is greatly appreicated.
Thank you.

Jeffrey

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If you are concerned about getting to the hotel from the airport, then go to Breezes on the North Coast. It is actually between Sosua and Cabarete. A taxi from the airport will cost you US$20.

While at the hotel, be sure to get out and visit both Cabarete and Sosua. Both are easily reached by public transportation for RD$10.

zangerzone

Feb 13, 2004
Are you serious? $20 for a 4 hour cab ride? I am confused since I have been told by various travel agencies that the cabs are outrageously expensive and that I should get on a metro bus which will cost $20 per person. I have no idea if this is acurate. Isn't Punta Cana closer to Santo Domingo than Puerto Plata? My plane is not set to arrive until 1PM if it is on time. Thank you for your response and it was greatly appreciated.

Jeffrey

Ken said:
If you are concerned about getting to the hotel from the airport, then go to Breezes on the North Coast. It is actually between Sosua and Cabarete. A taxi from the airport will cost you US$20.

While at the hotel, be sure to get out and visit both Cabarete and Sosua. Both are easily reached by public transportation for RD$10.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Ok, I see the confusion now. I was thinking you could switch also to the POP airport, but apparently that isn't an option.

If you change to the Breezes in POP, you can get there from SD by taking a taxi to Caribe Tours, a Caribe Tours bus to Sosua (RD$200), and a taxi to the breezes. This would take at least 5 hours. You would have no trouble getting to Breezes in POP the same day because buses leave hourly until about 6:30pm.

I'll let somebody with more knowledge than I have tell you how to get to Punta Cana. Then you can make your decision.

zangerzone

Feb 13, 2004
Thanks! Hopefully, someone will post something about Punta Cana. :cool:

Jeffrey

Jeffrey
Ken said:
Ok, I see the confusion now. I was thinking you could switch also to the POP airport, but apparently that isn't an option.

If you change to the Breezes in POP, you can get there from SD by taking a taxi to Caribe Tours, a Caribe Tours bus to Sosua (RD$200), and a taxi to the breezes. This would take at least 5 hours. You would have no trouble getting to Breezes in POP the same day because buses leave hourly until about 6:30pm.

I'll let somebody with more knowledge than I have tell you how to get to Punta Cana. Then you can make your decision.

Yan-Yan

Sep 22, 2003
Can't you change your ticket to Punta Cana? If it's going to cost you less than US$200.00 (or a few bucks more) you might as well do it, because it is a real hassle to drive all the way to PUJ after already being on a plane for 4 hours!

If not, I'm sorry for not being able to contribute, but a Taxi would be the only way to PUJ, unless you go by taxi to San Pedro de Macoris and then take one of the "expreso" buses that take you to Higuey and from there, maybe another taxi or another bus to your resort.... In conclusion, a great headache!

Try to change your flights or stay in another property in Bayahibe or Juan Dolio (closer to SDQ) and avoid all the trouble!

zangerzone

Feb 13, 2004
Pan Am is the airline I am flying with and while I was told they used to go to Punta Cana(no longer do at this point) they now only do Santo Domingo or Santiago. I need to go to PC or POP since I already have reservations with a Breezes resort.

Jeffrey

Yan-Yan said:
Can't you change your ticket to Punta Cana? If it's going to cost you less than US$200.00 (or a few bucks more) you might as well do it, because it is a real hassle to drive all the way to PUJ after already being on a plane for 4 hours!

If not, I'm sorry for not being able to contribute, but a Taxi would be the only way to PUJ, unless you go by taxi to San Pedro de Macoris and then take one of the "expreso" buses that take you to Higuey and from there, maybe another taxi or another bus to your resort.... In conclusion, a great headache!

Try to change your flights or stay in another property in Bayahibe or Juan Dolio (closer to SDQ) and avoid all the trouble!

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
If Pan Am will allow you to change your ticket to Santiago, it is only about an hour from POP. Breezes POP would then be a viable option. The Metro Bus takes about an hour and fifteen minutes from Santiago to Puerto Plata. However, given the location of Breezes, you might be better off taking a Caribe Tours Bus to Sos?a. You will be closer to Breezes there. The travel time would not be much different.

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Hello Jeffrey

You didn't mention how many people are in your party and there was no mention as to how much luggage there is so my suggestion is to take a taxi from the airport to Santo Domingo to the bus stop in front of the Enrriquillo Park which will take you to Higuey and or Punta Cana. The trip is about 2 hours to Higuey and Punta Cana is a bit past that. If there was little baggage involved then the cheaper and faster route would be to take a taxi out to route 4 and catch a passing bus to San Pedro and switch buses in La Romana for Punta Cana and the reason this is faster is because you wouldn't be passing back by the airport which is what you will do if you catch the bus from the capital. The passing buses are not the big luxary ones that go from the capital to Punta Cana. The route to Punta Cana is 3/4 along the coast line with no mountains. The Breezes in Punta Cana is nice with nice beaches. I've never been to Puerto Plata so I can not comment on the route or the hotel. I hope this will help you some in your decision and good luck and have a good time
Rick

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Hlywud said:
Taxi $120 US to Punta Cana $130US to POP, Breezes in PC is nicer.
taxi read here

? Hlywud

They must hate the SDQ to Boca Chica fares :)
Drive to the airport empty (40min), drive 5 mins to Boca Chica, then drive back to the city (45min) and all for US$20.

Personally I would fly into Santiago and take a cab to Breezes.
Read this recent review on the hotel: http://www.dr1.com/reviews/details.php?hotel_id=493